Post your all-time favourite jazz album

Post your all-time favourite jazz album.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rSjx3KEI_fM
youtube.com/watch?v=3HEhV1dQvCE
youtube.com/watch?v=6OzGbp6wgpE
youtube.com/watch?v=mHgPZfNlI6I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

THERE
IS
NO
DEATH

me too

if i had to pick one

You beat me to it. Simply amazing music.

Good choice. But I like this one (slightly) better. Haitian Fight Song is so fucking good.

I don't know if this counts but one of my favorite Madlib album.

ez answer is ez

this

Taphead is the only song I would say is straight up jazz, but idk

The list goes on...

Not even best Coltrane

Forgot to post the picture

Coltrane's soprano playing and elvin jones make this for me

I've pretty much memorised the entire album by now.
Either it or chet baker sings.

Bill Evans GOAT

>if a breeze caresses me its really you strollin by
i discovered that album in the middle of my sleep and I felt so cozy

Don't know much about jazz but this is my favourite

>Studio
>Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street
youtube.com/watch?v=rSjx3KEI_fM
>Live
>John Coltrane Quartet: One Up, One Down - Live at the Half Note
youtube.com/watch?v=3HEhV1dQvCE

I don't think I have a favorite, but do yourself a favor and listen to this.

Remember that song with crying babies and Ornette's chanting? He was truly something else. And the first songs with a female vocalist? I definitely have to give this album another listen, because it's largely impenetrable.

frances the mute

I just bought this on vinyl. Showed up yesterday. Dat drum solo at the start of side 2. Holy shit man.

Also top notch.

this

my man

>"muh highbrow" the album

Is it in any way similar to . I always had a feeling it is.

Eric Dolphy is a fucking god.

He makes sounds on the bass clarinet you didn't even know were possible.

Shame he only died because he was racially profiled, we could've had many more years of genius.

There's not much more you could ask for in an album.

never heard of that Ornette album desu, but the Coltrane one is just a duo album between John's sax and a really great drummer and shamefully idk his name. But they just solo together the entire time and two-person jazz doesn't get much more extreme, Coltrane does some wild shit and the drummer does an impressive job sticking with him. I'm gonna check out that other album though

Very underrated from Monk

sorry 4 pleb answer but this or pic related

Jazz is a way for black people to earn money by making fart noises with horns, it's not my bag of chips but I don't have a problem with people having a good time

These aren't the 40's grandpa.

50 posts and no sun ra, i'm disappointed Sup Forums

I don't know if this one counts, the audio quality is absolutely insane given that it was recorded live.

Word

desu

Hell yeah nibba

Where should I start with jazz? I just recently listened to In The Court of The Crimson King for the first time, and I know its not a jazz album but it has some jazzy elements I never knew I liked, especially in the first song. Any suggestions?

see

As you can probably gather, I'm not huge on jazz
Any recs on similar stuff to this, by the way? Free jazz but not completely bonkers, more like swing and bebop or whatever with free jazz elements. Something you can groove to but suddenly goes into insane dissonant sax solos.

Give a try to every others KC albums too

>that comfy scottish narrator

Plebs gtfo

Thanks guys, ill check all those out

Thanks for the rec, really digging it.

this recently became my favorite as well

Bags & Trane is GOAT

Insha'Allah

Its basically post-jazz/post-rock

not even a question

Anyone?

Tell me about the herb. Why does he wear the mask?

n1

Patrician choices

does anyone knows the name of this album? it was a live album from 5 jazz legends, I believe Coltrane and Mingus were there also Max Roach , it was recorded in a bar the same night an important box fight occuring so the audience just went there to see it and you can hear them scream and celebrating behind the music

all I remember is that they played Salt peanuts

How about something less than 30 to 60 years old?

humility in the light of creator

probably the only jazz album I still listen to anymore

mmmm
kletka red mayb

I'm the guy that posted Time Out way above but goddamn do I love Night Lights, it just feels so damn good. Any other albums with that sort of mood?

Jazz at Massey Hall
Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, Max Roach

youtube.com/watch?v=6OzGbp6wgpE

apparently even Dizzy kept popping off the stage to check on the Rocky Marciano/Jersey Joe Walcott fight that took place simultaneously

Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil is a recent favorite of mine. Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch really means quite a bit to me recently. I really believe in what he and his co-conspirators are doing there. I need to re-examine some large group free stuff and see if there are new dimensions for me to explore, maybe those are like exponentially more mindblowing. Those records aforementioned are like some of my recent favorites in a more strict sense of the idiom, but as a guitarist with a big personal investment in popular music I still think shit like Bitches Brew is life-changing stuff. I dunno I'm being really vague and circumspect while also sounding pompous. I'm glad y'all like this music, I love music guys.

see, like I even misused circumspect there. whatever.

>implying people genuinely enjoy jazz and dont just pretend to like it so they can perceived a certain way because deep down they that they're boring and pretentious

its fucking wallpaper.

Free jazz by Ornette Coleman despite the name it's very chill and not too bonkers

that album was crap though

>I don't get it/like it so it's shit and nobody can genuinely enjoy it

We all know rock music drains your intellect already you don't need to make bait posts about it

Let me guess you think any music without vocals can be discarded

Pretty sure it's all subjective and you definitely can't call it objectively crap.
I mean really are you going to say the musicians are not skilled?the production quality not superb?
What makes it crap per se?
You must just not like improv

Can anyone recommend anything similar to this or In a Silent Way?
I haven't listened to many jazz records, but I tend to like more mellow stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=mHgPZfNlI6I

i dont have a favorite album but i think this is the best that music has ever gotten and maybe will ever get. Rest in Power St. John Will i Am Coltrane.

Craig Taborn is an extremely skilled player but he is brought down by Mats Gustafsson who is an extremely one dimensional and limited player who relies on cheap tonal tricks to cover up the lack of any other dimensional depth to his playing.

Free improv can be great but all it takes is one lousy player to completely ruin it (even moreso when it's duet improv)

>no one yet

it's not my favourite, but it's still really fucking great
anything like this?

I feel it, I happen to like mats gustafsons style a lot and find his tones very appealing but to each his own.
Kind of a heavy jazz player. He's Swedish so what can you expect they like slow heavy sounds lol