Who are some good jazz critics or sources for good jazz criticism/reviews?

Who are some good jazz critics or sources for good jazz criticism/reviews?

no jazzthreadguy

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/jazz/
thinkingmusic.ca/
blog.oup.com/2014/08/miles-davis-kind-of-blue-classic-jazz-album/
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Jazzthreadguy's_Music_Theory_Guides
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

jazzis

>scaruffi.com/jazz/

Downbeat
Jazz Times
Penguin Guide to Recorded Jazz

all somewhat conservative, but a much better starting point than the usual critics Sup Forums fawns over

freejazzblog.org for new releases
allmusic.com for classic jazz

why no jazzthreadguy though? his reviews of new releases are ok.

nice. seems like he mostly just reviews european jazz though?

I know about all these, I'm looking more for individual critics and reviewers rather than conglomerations like those

>why no jazzthreadguy though?
yeah I actually like his reviews usually but Sup Forums told me he's bad so I want to know who's better

>yeah I actually like his reviews usually but Sup Forums told me he's bad so I want to know who's better
It's not about what Sup Forums tells you, it's about the reviewers themselves. If they're offering nothing more than emotional descriptors and personal preference, reviews are meaningless.

>If they're offering nothing more than emotional descriptors and personal preference, reviews are meaningless.
But literally every review of a jazz album that I've seen seems to have those. Since you think they're such bad things can you post some examples of reviews that offer more than that?

What are emotional descriptors?

conglomerates are made up of individual reviewers, if you find yourself appreciating one specific critic regularly, there's a good chance that critic has his own site/collection of reviews and essays.

it's a better starting place than asking Sup Forums or hoping you'll stumble on some random reviewer.

thinkingmusic.ca/
blog.oup.com/2014/08/miles-davis-kind-of-blue-classic-jazz-album/
It's hard to find individual reviewever who would be suitable. It's better to search for songs from and individual analyses for those.

The plague of mainly rock journalism and criticism. Not exclusive to it.

Sadly, this isn't much better either.

But what actually is it? Whose emotions are being described?

this makes me want to do reviews like this just to fuck with people like you

>Whose emotions are being described?
How is this even a question? Of a particular listener, therefore reviews which include them are meaningless. Look:
>New York Dolls [Mercury, 1973]
>At least half the white kids who grow up in Manhattan are well off and moderately arty, like Carly Simon and John Paul Hammond. It takes brats from the outer boroughs to capture the oppressive excitement Manhattan holds for a half-formed human being the way these guys do. The careening screech of their music was first heard in the Cooper Union station of the Lexington IRT, and they don't stop there. Mixing early-'60s popsong savvy with late-'60s fast-metal anarchy, they seek love l-u-v from trash and bad girls. They go looking for a kiss among the personality crises. And they wonder whether you could make it with Frankenstein. A+
This has very little relation to the album itself.

I don't take those reviews seriously, so, go ahead and waste your time all you like.

I've literally never seen JTG describe his own emotions in one of his reviews though.

>and The Shape says, well, ok, I'm not very good, but, erm, scuse me, ok, here we go, parp, wheeze, bonk, whoops, sorry, hang on, toot, no, really, I can do this, squawk, squeak, ponk
Seems like something a Sup Forums drone would write and actually mean it.

RYM was a mistake.

Doesn't it seem like something Anthony Fantano or Oliver would write?

>goes out of his way to find and screen grab some review that's clearly bothered him, calls it a "plague" among other autistic screeches
>i dun care bout that stuf go ahed make my day punk
sure thing buddy

Great telepathic ability buddy. Since you can guess the emotions of a random anonymous person I'm sure you'll be able to tell me where I live and how old I am.

Idk I've never heard any of their reviews. Where's the emotional descriptor in that though?

Is English even your first language? What's with these questions?

Nice comeback.

shut up chris

Because I don't see any emotional descriptors in that review? Why don't you just answer the question?

What comeback? I'm not mad, you're asking questions you already know the answer to.

>Smith's dark and robust tone stands out on the melodies, and his solos expand on the written melodies with an expressive, but usually restrained manner
>Smith's subtle approach puts the rhythm section more into the spotlight and they rise to the occasion magnificently
>Moran's creative voicings and comping rhythms also seem to inspire the soloists and create some exciting moments of interaction within the group
These could be used to describe almost any jazz album.

I'm not sure why he's doing this, because I'm sure he's well versed into music theory. That's my biggest objection.
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Jazzthreadguy's_Music_Theory_Guides

Yeah but I've never seen a jazz review ever that actually analyzes every single composition and solo using chords and scales and stuff. Does that even exist?

The one that someone posted hereis pretty much the same. It talks about the form of one song but that's pretty much it. Otherwise it's pretty much all just "emotional descriptors"

>It's hard to find individual reviewever who would be suitable. It's better to search for songs from and individual analyses for those.
This is what you should do. That was my post by the way.

From an album*

different poster here, but a theoretical analysis and a review are two different things. a little bit of theoretical analysis in a review is good sometimes but if you were to analyze an entire jazz album in this way it would be so long and technical that nobody would ever read it