Does Sup Forums know computers? Sup Forums can't seem to help me. Windows 10 pushed the August Creator's Update on me...

Does Sup Forums know computers? Sup Forums can't seem to help me. Windows 10 pushed the August Creator's Update on me, which fucked me over in a lot of little ways. I've solved most of them, but got stuck on this one: My "List" folders are all using columns that are much too big, and I can't find the way to reduce the columns to fit the content, which was the default before this update. They couldn't have completely removed the option that was the default last update, right Sup Forums? Pic related is an example folder with this new "uniform width columns" that are way too long, this folder could be half the size if I could re-size the columns to fitting sizes. Sup Forums, help an user out.

anyone?

CTRL + scroll up/down?

Thank you for the suggestion but CTRL and scrolling doesn't seem to give me any options that give me plenty of space like the old windows 10 default list view did. CTRL + doesn't work either.

Same boat here

OP here. Messing around with the folder it seems it actually does still scale based on the file names... but it adds a massive amount of blank space after the longest name, instead of cutting it off after the name. There's got to be a fix for this, there's no way this update demands you waste about 25% of your screen real estate on fully blank space when it didn't do so before the update.

Seriously, just look at all this wasted space on every single column. It wasn't nearly this bad before the creator's update. Please don't tell me this is something windows users just live with and don't even mention.

Fear not, I am here to save the day. Let me just get on my computer and figure this out

Please save me, godly user.

bumping so the thread doesn't die while that user checks things out.

I'm seriously just surprised that what used to be default is now not even an option. It's not like I went from 8 to 10, I just agreed to the creator's update.

As a side note, something that I can live with that's strange: Now the blank space becides a folder name is selectable as well. In the past you'd need to click the folder icon or text of the folder name to open it or select it, but now it accepts a click nowhere near the name as long as it's within the column. It's a small annoyance, but one I can live with. Losing 1/3 my screen to blank space that didn't need to exist last update is definitely the worst of the update, if I can get past that obstacle I'll be good to go.

Seems I don't have the update but it's downloading, will report back in a few

thanks user.

bump for thread survival

Well it hasn't updated yet but one thing I've found while waiting is that if you right click the windows button on the bottom left corner and press "settings" then go into "update and security" there will be a blue "update history" button which when pressed gives you the option to uninstall updates and recovery options, give that a go

If it comes to that I'll downgrade, but I figure there really should be an option to do what I'm looking for somewhere. Uninstalling updates and forever being stuck on that OS isn't exactly a good solution, especially as more features and updates come in the future, if I can't access any of it.

Before the downgrade I'll try to edit the registry, that's what I've been trying to research but I have no clue what have of the stuff I'm looking at means. Even if there isn't a button for it, I figure somewhere in the registry there's got to be a "pixels between end of one column and beginning of next column" option that got mega-boosted between the last update and the current one. In Windows 8 I learned enough about the registry to reduce the size of the window borders (which basically completely disappeared with Windows 10, a welcome change) and I'll probably end up having to learn registry shit again for this.

I have this same issue on a laptop I reformatted, but on my PC that I'm currently using it's fine even though it's up to date.

...weird. Maybe it's a laptop issue? I do use a laptop as my main machine. Does the desktop have an actual list of options, or is it just a different default with no options still?

No additional options

try alt f4 repeatedly

hahaha.