US nuclear force 'still uses floppy disks'

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839

>The Government Accountability Office said the Pentagon was one of several departments where "legacy systems" urgently needed to be replaced.

>The report said taxpayers spent $61bn (£41bn) a year on maintaining ageing technologies

>The report said that the Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft "runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses eight-inch floppy disks".

>"However, to address obsolescence concerns, the floppy drives are scheduled to be replaced with secure digital devices by the end of 2017."

whoa..............

Other urls found in this thread:

videogamedevelopmentdevices.wikia.com/wiki/Multi-Game_Doctor_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

More secure than modern software.

So what

If it works don't fucking touch it

I'm sorry our country isn't part robot like your's is, chingo.

>"However, to address obsolescence concerns, the floppy drives are scheduled to be replaced with secure digital devices by the end of 2017."
Ya secure just like Clintons emails and other things the Chinese have hacked, holy fuck we are screwed.

>However, to address obsolescence concerns, the floppy drives are scheduled to be replaced with secure digital devices by the end of 2017.
I doubt the government is still able to do things like that.

I can't believe that in this current year we have to pay for the military extra to use Save icons

If it works who gives a shit? Security is paramount so change for the sake of change is discouraged.

Oh let me use a computer that can be hacked!

The BBC needs to stop pretending that they're geniuses.

It's actually more secure than any modern system. New doesn't always mean better.

This is it guys. The US is fucked when they replace those computers.

Prepare for happenings

>and uses eight-inch floppy disks".
and you post a 5 and 1/4 inch disk.
I thought japs where good with technology.

Yes, people in Japan still use floppy dicks.

i agree, lets move our nuclear launch codes to the cloud

Doesn't surprise me at all

There is whole factions of the government copying notes by hand and shit

And my phone has more computing power than most satellites in outer space. What's your point?

Proven and resilient technology > modern and flimsy bleeding edge

> Implying we'll all still be alive by then

this

Fpbp
They're full proof when it comes to security and everyone around the world never really had time to adapt to the tech and the ones that did destroyed everything related to them decades ago
It's full proof really

I think I trust the government to be able to change a floppy disk. I know they mess up a lot, but I really think we can do it this time.

Don't space ships use ancient computers as well because if something does go catastrophically wrong you can fix it on the fly without being two hundred chinese children with soldering irons?
I sure as shit wouldn't want the nuclear arsenal going offline for 12 hours because windows 10 automatically installed itself.

All modern hardware is full of backdoors.

Good.
We let Russia into our computers on thumb drives.

Those old floppies were so comfy. I remember how amazing it was to save my little beginner's text-based adventure games on a floppy.

>full proof

>Sup Forums leaks nuclear launch codes
>the nukening brings a giant wave of normies and international spies to the site

jdimsa

pro tip:

any piece of technology being upgraded/introduced into nuclear systems have to be tested and tested and tested and retested to ensure that shit wont accidentally the midwest.

It's "fool proof" you dip.

Yep, spot on. No way to access the data on a floppy disk without getting your hands on it. More secure than keeping the info in a database somewhere

Is it true that using these old computers is more secure? To hack these older systems, you would have to have physical access to them? Once the transition to digital devices it complete, would it be reasonable to think that they could be hacked without having physical access? Am I wrong?

It's a huge mistake. The closer to analogue the better.

its a doggy dog world

>Inb4 Windows 10 upgrade

There's also a reason SKYKING transmits on open channels. One Tine Ciphers can't be hacked, either.

Can't hack what you can dial-up on a 28.8k baud modem.

There are no spies on this website. Please continue discussing this topic as planned.

Right, it is fully functional and runs fine the way it is. Not everything is about speed and power, in fact a lot of new stuff I get like phones tablets and custom built PCs, things fail a lot and some things are still laggy as fuck...

Wow, we should really upgrade these systems. Connect them to the Internet and give all the silos their own twitter accounts so they can communicate better. Also they should all be running on foreign made hardware, what could go wrong?

The PS2 has more computing power than an entire SSBN. so...yeah, fuck off.

We use hydraulic computing as one of the duplicates for the control system of dead hand
Dont think using modern electronics matter, it is not

i don't like the idea of aliens flying around with a bunch of ching chong tech workers. enough!

Basically they're "hack-proof," by the popular misunderstanding of hacking as unintended access, since the only way to mess with them is to already have access at the physical site and deliberately misuse them.
It's not all progress, kids, some of it goes backwards.

It's true. Modern hardware is designed to prevent airgapping.

Have to install 8.1 first

Maybe the disks contain a .txt file with all launch codes

These days, hackers are a diamond dozen. It's opened season on our nukes for all intensive purposes

What kind of individual would laugh at that.
I know, an uneducated one.
Dumbass, magnetic tape is by far the most wear and age resistant way of storing data that we have right now, maybe soon they will develop some other way, but for now it is.

and?

does it STILL launch the nukes?

then what they fuck does it matter?

you don't want that in some kind of vulnerable format

why "modernize" it?

that doesn't always mean better you know

thats good very good

>security by obscurity

why is everyone thinking this shit will be connected to the internet, it'll probably be isolated from other wireless/outside communication sources. i'm worried those "secure" devices will end up being simple USBs that will be hacked a few months after they are made

Why would they change it when it works?

reminds me of Battlestar Galactica

>what is bit rot
Sup Forums, stop mouthing off about shit if you don't know anything about the topic

It's for hardest EMP ever, when your balls literally can boil, computer will still work.

You need to move гвapдeйcкaя тaнкoвaя Кaнтeмиpoвcкaя дивизия AWAY from Estonia, NOW.

We see what you're up to. Don't try to take Narva.

Have you changed your roational volicidencer lately?
You really should.

Not necessarily. The computers on newer vehicles like Dragon are modern.

Older vehicles like the space shuttle had computers that ran on 1MB of memory (after an upgrade in the 90s), because the thing was designed in the 1970s.

You don't actually need that much processing power to control a spacecraft. You do all the heavy calculations on Earth, then radio the commands to the spacecraft.

hold on, are you telling me, hold up, that the registry is getting rusty?

>Putting your nukes under control of Windont

it's actually better that way really, keep the super computers planetside to do the heavy lifting

Floppies are secure. The best security us physical security.

A lot of business still uses em tape for backups too. Safe, secure, and high capacity.

>they're full proof
>the real reason they still use the old systems is because they are a diamond dozen.

Leddit pls go.

>tfw they'll use Chinese electronics with in the new system
>Get hacked by China who will remotely launch nukes to kill their enemies and have the US get nuked for it

arr according to pran

Suomi, plz tell Marju I love her.

>Indian dicks don't even flop

And in comes literally the only nation on the planet and in all of human history that has no vantage point from which to make dick jokes at Japan.

Modern computers are just as hack-proof as old ones so long as they aren't networked.
You would still need physical access in order to hack it.

>full proof
>diamond dozen

Former database administrator here.

This is 100% true. Our worst fears were someone coming in with a USB thumb drive, copying information, and then leaving unprotected. 100% complete isolation from the network doesn't mean shit if someone can waltz right in and hook up a wifi dongle or storage drive

This is why a lot of corps are still using AS/400 even though it's "outdated". We had IBM 9404 systems. No USB devices. Most everything done with physical tape backup.

if it aint broke, dont fix it... pic related

Can't be wirelessly fucked with? The horror!

On a tangentially related noted:
As it turns out, our safest reactor designs are forty years old because those fuckers knew what they were doing unlike our current generation of No Child Left Behind fuckwits.
They didn't get there easy, though. It took a lot of fuckups to clear the air and quit stapling Metal Gear engineers to the bunker ceiling.
By Metal Gear, I mean we had several nuclear tanks in experimental phases before we decided to stop designing reactors like the Russians.

We still use nukes too, so what?

"full proof" means that the security of the system can be fully proven, you au jour.

For real though, can you imagine some fucking Russian mole finally getting clearance to a high security area, rolling in with his super duper hidden USB device and finding a cabinet full of sleeved up floppies?

this so fucking hard.
just god damn.
having to account for human antics.
fuck my life.

Also; Imagine having to shelve a portable 5 1/4 floppy drive up his ass to get in and copy some material?

military nuclear networks are an intranet, closed off from the internet. Its been built that way since the beginning of ARPANet.

>Mfw even drunk I an still aptly fuck with grammar whores
You guys are more fun than a barrel full of monkeys
No they've literally kept them because of how hard they are to just steal outright.
Also
>8" floppy's
>A dime a dozen
Let me know when you can find someone who will burn an old laserdisk for you cunt and then we can talk about the cost of making floppy's that literally had the shelf life of less than a decade

>Implying they haven't already

They use them for a reason.

This is the reason.

Dude, i find so many unsecured mongo databases daily and its just simple connection on 3389 and switching to another database inside and you can take whatever you want.

RIP

My ID wills it, TRANNY WAR NOW

I haven't read the thread, so I apologize if someone has already mentioned this.

Projections for the federal budget use Fortran, a program from the fucking 50s. The government tried to move to a different program and it wasn't as accurate for some reason, so they just said "fuck it" and kept Fortran. I would not be surprised if the same thing happens with the DoD.

why would you tell people this?

[gulags internally]

If it is full proof I would like to see a fool proof deriving your conclusion. After all, it's a doggy dog world and posters are a diamond dozen.

>tfw still have a bunch of shit from childhood saved on floppies but can't be fucked buying a floppy drive

I should eventually, before they disappear.

Also my Video Vinyl is worthless now that my machine broke. Buying a new one is so expensive.

Just need a unit to copy from floppy to internal hard drive. Not hard to do.

Just a Multi Game Doctor except not for games.

videogamedevelopmentdevices.wikia.com/wiki/Multi-Game_Doctor_2

That's it!!!

I'm a nippon nao!!

Ada is still used for embedded programming in the aerospace industry. And many places still use COBAL, chiefly finance.

>Millenial Russian mole gets in

>"What the fuck is this?"

>Desperately looking for a photocopier so he can copy the discs

But yeah, floppies actually sound like a good idea now that I think about it. Less space than tape, more secure than USB accessible terminals.

This
I have cassette tapes with programs on them my dad wrote from the 70s, The dye on cd's starts to degrade after 7 to 10 years hdd's WILL eventually fuck up but there no certainty when they will, flash memory only has so many write cycles and degrades slowly throughout its life.
Tape Is still the best choice if you want to keep data intact for a long time.

Its COBOL. I'm worried I might need to learn it.

>dead hand
>not automatic

it's not really a dead hand... it just lets the military launch without any politicians input.

How many write cycles are you realistically gonna use for nuclear secrets?

not many

See my post below that but;

Imagine shelving this thing in your ass cheeks.

>Mfw my dad used to run ticker tape for TELECOM back in the 70's
>Mfw where he worked they kept the info hub running but using magnets in the floor that basically created unlimited energy
>Mfw that shit was built in the early 60's
>Yfw you realize that the US solved the energy crisis back in the 60's but never told anyone because you don't make money off unlimited free energy

Honestly, things haven't changed that much in a decade. Just like my old company was still using an antiquated timelock vault system from the 1960's because it was more secure than a new "digital" system.

How many people nowadays can crack one of those old systems versus cracking some computer code?

Now I do consulting for network/data security and I move all of my clients towards "legacy" systems.

It's also a reason why you see so many businesses sticking within Windows XP.