Hey Sup Forumsros

Hey Sup Forumsros
I just got a pet hermit crab today at an exotic pet expo, I've been wanting one for months now. I've got the majority of the tank set up and I know basic care for them. Anything else I should know about? I have 2 of them since they don't do well alone, their tan is a 20 gallon, I used cali sand for the substrate.
Also, general hermit crab appreciation thread,

Help me name my bros, I'm thinking about calling the larger one Beowulf or Puck.

The small one has some weird ass clown painted on him... I've put in other shells to tempt him to molt into another one.

Your care is wrong
He'll die a slow death within a few months
At least that's what I can see in the pictures.

What's your parameters? And do you have only one?

I have 2. I haven't checked the parameters, it just said a 20 gall on tank. But just guessing, it looks like a foot in width and maybe 2 or 3 feet in length

that tank seems way too small for them. Let the poor things spread out.

What size tank do you recommend??

I mean temp/humidity!
As well as plants, waterbowl and everything else that's fucking important.

Describe your current care as good as possible please

I really don't know. I just don't like seeing animals in small spaces for long periods of time. Get a 4-5ft long tank. That seems like a good size.

Alright, I'll look into it. Most websites recommended somewhere between a 10 gallon and 30 gallon, although ten seems too small for me. I might have a 40 gallon somewhere.

A 120cm long by 60cm wide by 70cm high would be perfect for 3-7 Crabs, depending on the species

They use EVERY part of the tank if you do it right

I'm still working on setting their tank up. The tank is a 20 gallon. I have a heat lamp above the tank and a thermometer to keep track of the temp. I don't have a humidifier or anything but I'll spray distilled water in the cage occasionally. I also have towels above the cage to keep it humid, but there's still some ventilation. I have 2 bowls, one freshwater and one saltwater. And I made sure the crabs could crawl out so they won't drown, but are deep enough so they can bathe. The sand is calci sand. And I have lots of driftwood within the tank, some which they can climb on and hide in. I don't have any plants yet but I'm going to get some tomorrow. Any suggestions as to what plants I should get or anything else I need?

Thank you!

You seem like a cool dude. Seems like other user has got you covered. Take care of them well! Good luck.

Make sure the room is quiet

Thanks bro!

Also forgot to mention that I put extra shells in there of various larger sizes they can molt into. And the sand is deep enough for them to borrow in.

This thread and your care for your new friends brightened my night. Thanks, OP.
Name the big one user and the small one Augusto Pinochet.

Thank you! I like those names

No problem!
Alternatively, you could name one user and the other Opie (OP)

Ok
Replace the sand by coco fibre please (not the cubed one, use the fine one) mix a little play sand in and keep it moist enough so they can dig tunnels that won't collapse.

The humidity should never drop below 70% or their gills will get damaged

Here is a pic of my crab tank (older pic, looks kinda shit here, it's before i redid it with bigger waterbowls and more plants) but it's just so you can get ideas.

The highest level is filled with 40cm high forest floor/coco fiber/dead leaf mix, the second highest part is the same but only about 30cm high
And the sand part is the lowest with about 15cm high.

As saod, keep everything moist at all times and get them some buddies of the same species, 3 of the same species is the minimum.

Also you can/should add a layer of dead oak leafes on top, they lucking love it.
Also use Isopods and springtails as cleanup crew

I can take a pic of my tank in it's current state if you want

and the ugly people losers put poop bugs on me ugly way and try too hard and there disgusting and they know there shit and gross and so feel bad but dont feel bad so there ugly and short

dick snapper and shit wringer

What

Thank you!!! I absolutely appreciate this. I will get the sand, fibers and plants tomorrow, or Tuesday at the very latest.

My thoughts exactly