Why are americans so narrow-minded?

why are americans so narrow-minded?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LaSdNOiwcSM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Metric system is mandatory in USA since 1975 ... every package and measuring equipment have metric scale on it ... what are you talking about idiot ?
I speak English most of the time but if i speak Gaelic with my folks why is that your business

every aspect and facet of American construction is imperial, from all written code books to tape measures to nails and skews to every wall and everything in iy

Bcz Murica es #1

False.

American here, and I completely agree. Just visited Europe and everything is so much easier. Multiples of ten is much more logical than the random, made up, bullshit numbers that we have here in the states.

Nah. He is right.

inb4 middle finger picture

I bet the both of you are only 8.5 stone.

Bitches.

I do hvac and deal with construction all the time.

We have to know both because shit comes from everywhere.

How was the moon? Oh yeah, none of you other worthless countries with your metric system have been there.

I especially love their metric time. That whole "60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, 4 weeks in a month" shit was just too confusing for me.

Wrong. We import so much shit that we use both.

Thread stomped

Europoor worried about metric system. Slowly becoming Europistan.

This, the only thing that is not done both ways is the month/day/year and in most (but not all) cases fahrenheit is used over celsius (all measuring equipment still has both)

The ordering of the dates is just an autistic nit-pick. Neither one has a statistical advantage over the other.

As for fahrenheit vs celsius... celsius is good for measuring water, aaaannd that's about it. Fahrenheit has a 0-100 scale for what tempretures are safe/comfortable to live in (way more useful for day to day life). If you want a measurement that is good for science use kelvin, it doesn't have an 'arbitrary' starting points like water or human comfort, 0 kelvin is just that 0... no heat at all.

>narrow minded
>metric only uses 1000s so they wont forget their measurements

>(way more useful for day to day life)
haHA

How wouldn't it be?

>2017
>basically the future
>not being able to use both
Plebs

No, Fahrenheit is still stupid, because it doesn't use the same scale, as in, one unit of Fahrenheit is not one unit of Celsius, so its not the same linearity. As for the argument for everyday use, Celsius still makes more sense, if you hear the forecast say it will be -5C today you can expect the roads to be slippery and perhaps some snow, because its below the freezing point, whereas for Fahrenheit the dumb americans would go driving with summer tires in 20F cuz its not that cold.

That graph is wrong.
It should be plotting one of the lines as y=x and the other as y=(function to convert one unit of temp into another).

I'd rather not use half degrees when describing the outside temperature like I have to do with celsius

This is what it should look like.

underrated post

True, the graph was shit, but it doesn't make the point less valid, Fahrenheit increases faster than Celsius

you don't have to use halves, it depends on the precissionyou want/need.
for everyday life you don't neet to

pebbles, bricks or wrecking balls?

Yeah, I'm not debating that, just saying the graph isn't very good.
Totally with you on both points.

You sure talk a lot of shit for someone who has never built anything in America.
I don't think I've ever even seen a tape-measure, here, without cm and in.

not everybody is autistic you know..

as narrow minded as the rest of the world. been to Europe and the Middle east. same species different languages.

What do you mean "same species"?

>muh moon landing
>y'all are shit.
>proceeds to eat 3 quarter pounders

We aren't, we use both systems to some degree and it's much better that way. Metric is definitely more practical in a lot of scientific scenarios, but it is really quite bland and soulless. It's a fundamentally abstract system, and it seems like it was designed with robots in mind rather than humans.

youtube.com/watch?v=LaSdNOiwcSM

Irrelevant comment

Absolutely. Americans need the metric system because they don't know math, can't measure, and simply are too lazy to try to learn how to use multiple scales! And what is this about "light years"? That should all be metric! And time! 60 seconds in a minute, 60 min in an hour, but 24 hours in a day? What's with that? Europe uses.... well.... the same thing we do BECAUSE IT WORKS AND PEOPLE KNOW HOW IT WORKS! Truth is, any measurement metric is absolutely random. A meter is a length, but how long it is makes it virtually arbitrary (although an ancient mathematician and astronomer tried to make it "scientific"). Same with any measurement or standard. You make a system and then employ it. To change the US to another standard would damage the US economy and put millions of people out of work. All our buildings, roads, bridges, fasteners (screws, nails, bolts, nuts, etc.) are built on standards that use our historic system of measurements. To just say "Hey... let's destroy all that and remake everything using the new random measurement metric." is worth than useless. It is expensive and not particularly useful. NASA tried to convert to metric, and lost a martian lander because of it!

>same species
well that's not very meaningful if you think about it for more than a second

Right because poor people in your country are so smart and healthy I'm sure. Don't judge us by our poor morons because you have them too.

>dying at 100 degrees C
nigga pls, saunas go up to 120 degrees C and I ain't dead t. finfag

Thermoregulation nigger. For humans, this occurs when the body is exposed to constant temperatures of approximately 55 °C (131 °F), and with prolonged exposure (longer than a few hours) at this temperature and up to around 75 °C (167 °F) death is almost inevitable.

A finn that doesn't know how math works. What a surprise. Super power by 2020 right?

You don't stay in a sauna for a few hours, fuck off.

>finfag
30-40 fins die every year from sauna heat alone
it may be fine for short periods of time, but those temperatures ARE deadly

The one thing Fahrenheit has on Celsius, is that it's a better indicator of comfort. The degrees are much more sensitive. 20 degrees to 21 degrees Celsius is the difference between slightly to cold, and sweating your balls to your leg.

Twenty degrees above boiling water?? Kek

BECAUSE WE CAN
FUCKHEAD

I have a feeling this is a leaf-recruitment thread. No thank you, and please check my post.

>play footbal with their hands
football = foot + ball

Go learn history about the Fahrenheit scale
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

Euros just don't get it.

I highly contest. It was made for humans because adding a zero is a supremely easier general principle to work with than something like base 12. Additionally, robots would probably have been the beneficiaries of such a system if it were based on hexadecimal or something like a totally new base 8 system to match conventional binary (8-bit) architectures.