/classical/

Bruckner is the patrician choice Edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hko1TNkgUUE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwikV3PbXA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCBPp-BH78
youtu.be/SGWYbkXCcGU?t=2m38s
youtube.com/watch?v=FJWLU1ja_1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=I_c2zRGPB1M
youtube.com/watch?v=W8zKkvGB7Rw
youtube.com/watch?v=LRNyUw52dDE
youtube.com/watch?v=dwnWt2qF37Q
youtube.com/watch?v=-AMUQCLhorQ
youtube.com/watch?v=b2aQjyDvfCw
youtu.be/P2wNAWBPFiI?t=627
youtube.com/watch?v=ly5ThGlqfEk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partimento
youtube.com/watch?v=tOQvxK813J0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhS3ry_BC4
youtube.com/watch?v=DP4y1CsiADk
youtube.com/watch?v=SIXOxpYlAbc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All pre-20th century classical is obsolete for non-historical reasons as there's always one shortcoming or another in some aspect of the music whereas 20th century and afterward offers music that's good at everything.

>Br*ckner

Third for

>the virgin listener: listens to mp3 files
>the greatest maestro of one's own century: whenever you want to hear a piece of music other musicians will immediatly come and play it for you; a small philarmonic ensemble is sleeping in your basements, and multiple string quartets are playing all day long in different part of the giant house that was bought for you by Deutsche Grammophon; also for the copyrights over one new recording every 10 years Sony has agreed to send to your bedroom a young Martha Argerich look-alike (trained to be able to play a great deal of Ravel's and Schubert's repertoire) every single night (she is willing to have sex with you, but most night will be spent talking about your lives, playing piano 4 hands and cuddling tenderly: she loves it more than you do)

spotted the pleb

5th for Beethoven's 6th is the most underrated overrated symphony ever

6th for beethoven's 3rd is the most underrated symphony ever

7th for actually its his 2nd

8th for actually it's his 1st

true, but I listen to it because of its sentimental value

Listz
youtube.com/watch?v=hko1TNkgUUE

Your notion of historicity and musical progression is fallacious, as it oppresses the composer and the musician with the volatile desires of those people of his own time. As far as the composer is concerned, he is the only one who is right. Fake historical jusgements of this kind bear no aesthetical prescriptive value whatsoever, nor do they account for the fact that 20th and 21st century music does not truly contain 17th-18th-19th century music (which is to say: by listening to Webern you are not listening to Haydn+something more, for Haydn's music is not contained in Webern's music, nor theoretically nor aesthetically).

>responding to new threadly pasta
pls

Better safe than sorry. I don't want my fellow /classical/ dweller to go around spouting opinions as worthless as this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwikV3PbXA

>call and answer
What is this cringe shit?

Hey /classical/, we're making a chart () with the essential Italian music, and we need some classical and opera album recs. We would be glad if you helped us! We already have:
domenico scarlatti - the keyboard sonatas (scott ross)
antonio vivaldi – le quattro stagioni (herbert von karajan)
claudio monteverdi – vespro della beata vergine (jordi savall)
arcangelo corelli – 12 concerti grossi op. 6 (trevor pinnock)
carlo gesualdo – tenebrae (the hilliard ensemble)
goffredo petrassi – magnificat; salmo ix (gianandrea noseda)
giacinto scelsi – quattro pezzi per orchestra; anahit; uaxuctum (jürg wyttenbach)
ottorino respighi – festi di roma; pini di roma; feste romane (eugene ormandy)
luigi nono – orchestral works & chamber music (swr symphony orchestra)
musica futurista: antologia sonora (cramps records)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Karajan
Replace that with this.
For operas, I say go with
>Monteverdi - L'Orfeo; L'incoronazione di Poppea (Cavina for both)
>Verdi - La traviata; Otello; Falstaff (Giulini, Carlos Kleiber, Toscanini)
>Rossini - Il Barbiere di Siviglia (Galliera? I dunno I don't listen to Rossini very often)
>Bellini - Norma (Bonynge)
>mozzart (underrated) - all the Da Ponte operas.

>antonio vivaldi – le quattro stagioni (herbert von karajan)
Are you fucking kidding me?

Besides Deutsche Grammophon and Odyssey, what labels are trustworthy when it comes to quality of recordings they release?

wrong recording?

Karajan with anything written before 19th century is a huge no-no
some will argue that Karajan himself is a no-no, but non-Romantic Karajan is an even bigger no-no

First of all 4 seasons is overrated as fuck and Vivaldi has written much better stuff than that corny shit and second of all post-Wagnarian romantic interpretations of baroque and earlier works are huge piles of trash. Absolutely unlistenable.
Put Vivaldi's L'Estro Armonico by Academia Bizantina.

How is Karajan's Nono though?

Verdi- Rigoletto - Pavarotti
Leoncavallo- I Pagliaci
Nino Rota - symphony 1

>Bellini - Norma (Bonynge)
The best Norma recording is the Maria Callas one from 54. Also I Puritani should be on the chart.

No fake historical judgments here. You can hear the lack of interesting rhythms/dynamics/harmonic choices in Baroque, the lack of complex melodies in Classical, the overt reliance on "emotional" cadences in Romantic, etc. It's just as formulaic as pop music is, just in sonata form.

Ferrucio Busoni - Late Piano works

>tfw tchaikovsky's music gives me the feelsies
>i can't listen to him or will be a pleb according to /classical/

don't really care for his interpretations most of the time, but hot damn Koussevitzky could get those Boston players to soar

Bartók

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCBPp-BH78

youtu.be/SGWYbkXCcGU?t=2m38s

literally the best moment in all of music, ever

its ok bb just cry to his piano trio some more

pls give patrician classical recs

youtube.com/watch?v=FJWLU1ja_1Y

the video 2 posts above

youtube.com/watch?v=I_c2zRGPB1M

everyone's Luigi Nono sucks by necessity

I like Tchaikovsky too. Stop worrying about being called a pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=W8zKkvGB7Rw

Why should someone listen to art music?

it lends itself nicely to both enjoyment and appreciation

once you mature you won't be satisfied listening to top40 crap or Sup Forumscore anymore. Like how adults don't want to eat Mcdonalds daily, while as a kid that would have seen like the ideal diet

I rarely comment, but this thread brings me joy. Thank you OP.

It's more harmonious and beautiful than pop music.

Bellini
youtube.com/watch?v=LRNyUw52dDE

>You can hear the lack of interesting rhythms/dynamics/harmonic choices in Baroque, the lack of complex melodies in Classical, the overt reliance on "emotional" cadences in Romantic, etc.
So stylistic determinism is a flaw per se? For example you tell me that Baroque music lacks in interesting rhythms, dynamics and harmonies: what you are actually saying is that rhythms, dynamics and harmonies are organized under specific principles (the rhythm is supposed to be perpetuus, the harmonies are derived from strict counterpoint and the dynamics are homogeneous): said principles are not contained in comtemporary music, but at the same time you can't say that contemporary music operates under no principle. A fan of New Complexity for example could say the same thing you said about Baroque music, but this time about the XX century serialists.
What also is missing in contemporary music is the sense of coherence that is derived by stylistic determinism: Messianen and Boulez were incapable of writing pieces such as Handël's Concerti Grossi due to the fact that the musical tools they were using simply could not replicate such a personal use of diatonicism, and such an inherently istinctive use of musical effects.

Basically you're comparing apples to oranges, and you reach the conclusion that oranges are better due to the fact that they have pores on their peels, even though the presence of said pores was not the point of the music in the first place. Your preferences and value hierarchies are arbitrary.

>It's just as formulaic as pop music is, just in sonata form.
If anything contemporary music is MORE formulaic/formalist than baroque music. Boulez, Stockhausen, Webern and Messianen used formulae extensively, and barely tweaked them afterwards. Compared to these compositional methods, Baroque music becomes basicslly improvisional

pic related: Webern and Schoenberg composed most of their serial pieces using ONLY rulers such as this one. Talking about formulae...

youtube.com/watch?v=dwnWt2qF37Q
I love Romanticism and I'm proud

Holy shit, we get it, he is wrong
Stop writing long posts, no one is taking him seriously here

how will shitposters ever recover

Nothing wrong with Tchaikovsky. Miles better than Bruckner

Its written by highly trained composers who actually know what they're doing, compared to popular musicians who only know a few chords and don't know dick about form, counterpoint or how to write for anyone other than themselves.

I like it more.

^only valid answer

Why are people just allowing this?

Read

I mean he got btfo pretty hard and it was probably bait anyway

You mean ignoring? That's the only way to deal with shitposters.

rather get shit-posted than posted to shit

>writes entire movement in awkward compound time sig instead of figuring out to just add another note to the beginning of the melody

This dude is a fucking idjit

which?

If his editors and engravers haven't corrected it, chances are that he wanted you to count around that weird tempo.
If this is the case, you are the idjit. Regardless, post the specific piece.

>thinks tempo and time sig are the same thing
>doesn't know the piece

no John, you are the idjits

i'm guessing youre referring to pictures promenade and its derivatives

its odd but the choice of meters makes it more interesting rhythmically due to the offbeat accents

Its entirely innappropriate to the overall character though. Its just this stately theme lacking in any rhythmic syncopation or even rhythmic complexity. I always found it quite jarring. I am a fan of Tchaikovsky's 6th though, so its not that I am against the use of odd time sigs, even in a romantic milieu. However there needs to be a good reason to use such a thing and it takes finesse.

You know what he was going for. You were wring and you know it: you were to stupid to realize that Musorgsky had his own editors and engravers, which means that odd choices such as this one are deliberate.

>I'm a fan of Tchaikovsky's 6th
>calls other people idjit

God, you're such a failure.

pls don't bully us Tchaik 6 fans because someone haets Mussorgsky

>Its entirely innappropriate to the overall character though.
Pictures at an Exhibition is meant to represent the impressions that Mugorsky experienced while looking at paintings at an (you've guessed it) exhibition. As such, only he knows what's appropriate and what's not, for he is merely describing his interior experience, musically.
Your critique is meaningless.

Pretzan und Pretzölde

>there needs to be good reason to use such thing

Such as??? Something completely arbitrary depending on your own personal taste???

my waifu
dont steal
youtube.com/watch?v=-AMUQCLhorQ

>for you

Mozart

youtube.com/watch?v=b2aQjyDvfCw

autistic performance
also i hate his whole pedo style

>pedo style
Pedos do not dress like that.
By the way what is up with his outfits? What hats and shirts are those, and why is he wearing them?

Così fan Petzold -Petzold Amadeus Metzold

>be me
>orchestral conductor
>lurking my favourite thread of Sup Forums
>people say Mozart is severely underrated
>decided to look his works
>start with the symphonies
>read the first 25
>they are absolute garbage
>into the trash all it goes
>mfw

>become an orchestra conductor without havung ever read a Mozart score
>has to discover Mozart on Sup Forums, of all places

>taking seriously my obvious bait

take this

mmm... how about no?

But how about.... yes?

youtu.be/P2wNAWBPFiI?t=627
youtube.com/watch?v=ly5ThGlqfEk
---
Rip Cassini

>So stylistic determinism is a flaw per se?
It is. The "oh that was just how things were" isn't a good enoygh excuse for music being inferior to what came afterward.
>Baroque
Well, when these are almost universal in observation of Baroque music, it's true.
>contemporary music works under no principle
I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth. Just that contemporary music doesn't work under restrictive principles and rather chooses to work based on concepts that the composer has thought of rather than strictly trends and what should/shouldn't be played no matter what.
>New Complexity vs Serialism
If the person is criticizing twelve tone serialism, that's completely valid as that's even more restrictive than common practice crap. I definitely agree that twelve tone serialism is the one blemish on the greatness of 20th century art music. But they would be totally wrong when it comes to integral serialism as the purpose of it is to not be limited in expression.
>Messianen/Boulez vs Handel's diatonicism
This is because they don't want to make music strictly adhered to diatonicism. It's not because they can't, but because anybody can. See Stockhausen's quote on how anyone could do a fugue at his school but people wanted to not do that same old boring shit (I think it's the same one where he talks about contemporary electronic pop guys.)
>apples to oranges
Not at all as can be seen by what I have said above. The newer stuff built on top of the older stuff to make it more interesting.
>was not the point of the music
Wtf is this even supposed to mean? Who the fuck are you to determine that?
>contemporary more formulaic than Baroque
The latter literally could only allow Harmonic progression in one way and that's it. Strict reasons for key changes, dynamics, etc.
>Boulez, Stockhausen, Messianen
Oh you mean the guys who took a completely different aprproach on a work by work basis whereas Bach stuck to muh common practice on everything?

It's absolutely ridiculous that you would say a guy like Boulez who made these technical dissonant works early in his career to later transfer to very repetitive stuff whose point is to see how it reacts to the environment around it is somehow more formulaic than a form of music that was always under strict rules.

You call Baroque improvisation, but it's not Baroque music that implemented actual improvisation in composition, it was 20th century stuff like Terry Riley's In C.

>but it's not Baroque music that implemented actual improvisation in composition
nigga do you even partimento?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partimento

Those aren't compositions, but exercises.

that remains to be seen, it was a fluid transition.
baroque organists were able to improvise, but it became a lost art by 1750

That's again, more from the perspective of the players than compositions. It would be absurd to say there was no improv at all in any era.

Organ improvisation still exists, but organists are the only ones who care about it, unfortunately.

youtube.com/watch?v=tOQvxK813J0

aaah, not the pit, it burns

Bach
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhS3ry_BC4

Haydn

youtube.com/watch?v=DP4y1CsiADk

Cherubini
youtube.com/watch?v=SIXOxpYlAbc

>It is. The "oh that was just how things were" isn't a good enoygh excuse for music being inferior to what came afterward.
But Boulez being a serialist is instead a fully original stance, and Schoenberg inventing the 12tone system by imitating Mahler is totally something outside of tradition, right? And let me guess, I should pretend that Bach invented nothing?
You're a terrible musicologist.

>Just that contemporary music doesn't work under restrictive principles
Oh boy, you know absolutely nothing about the hsitory of contemporary music (and how these principles were FORCED on young composers, especially between the '50s and the '70s), nor do you know how strict these principles are.

>rather chooses to work based on concepts that the composer has thought of rather than strictly trends and what should/shouldn't be played no matter what.
Sure, after WWII you could compose whatever you want (given that you rejected tonality, melody, diatonicism, yadda yadda yadda). Totally not a tradition in which people say "oh, that is just how things are now". Sounds familiar?

>But they would be totally wrong when it comes to integral serialism as the purpose of it is to not be limited in expression.
Gotcha, you're not a composer.

>It's not because they can't, but because anybody can
Anybody can try, but only a handful of people succeded. Boulez was not able to write a tonal counterpoint as good as a Reger one, and Reger did not know how to compose serially: they were doing different things, but you are too dense to understand it.

>See Stockhausen's quote on how anyone could do a fugue
Stockhausen studied counterpoint as an undergrad for about 2 years. Do you realize how shitty are student fugues? Do you realize how hard it is to write a fugue such as the ones in the Art of Fugue? You can't hack it out, it takes decades, but since you have no experience in composition, you obviously can't know that. Stockhausen has never composed a good fugue.

[1/2]

>The newer stuff built on top of the older stuff to make it more interesting.
The newer stuff csn't replicste the older stuff. As I have said earlier, listening to Webern is not like listening to Haydn+something more. If I wanted to listen to music like the one of Haydn, I would find no corrispective in contemporary music, ergo they were doing essentially different and uncomparable things. What matters is that the successes are not shared: what is great in Webern is not what is great in Haydn, and viceversa.

>Wtf is this even supposed to mean? Who the fuck are you to determine that?
Do you think that the merely theoric aspects of Webern's music wre the point? If you think so, I can rest assured that that Stockhausen interview is the only document you've read about contemporary music. All the serialists and post-serialists wanted their audiences to treat their music only aurally. Even an academic like Boulez would tell to his pianist vsgue advices such as "follow the sounds". You are obviously too ignorant to be aware of the self-admittedtly mystical elements of these composers.

>The latter literally could only allow Harmonic progression in one way and that's it. Strict reasons for key changes, dynamics, etc
Then you have never written a fugue, nor have you ever worked with a tone row. You don't know what you are talking sbout, nor do you know that the criticism you're formulating against Baroque applies even MORE to contemporary music. Basically you are destroying your own argument, and this is happening because you have no idea of how these pieces are composed.
>Oh you mean the guys who took a completely different aprproach on a work by work basis whereas Bach stuck to muh common practice on everything?
Oh, so you have never studied Bach's scores? This means that you are not even an amateur.
Imagine being so stupid and tone deaf that You can't pick any difference between the AoF, the Passions, the Violin Partitas and the Cello Suites one can only say

>It's absolutely ridiculous that you would say a guy like Boulez who made these technical dissonant works early in his career
He was following the academic mainstream. He wasn't making it up.

>to later transfer to very repetitive stuff whose point is to see how it reacts to the environment around it is somehow more formulaic than a form of music that was always under strict rules.
Boulez LITERALLY always composed through formulae. It's not an opinion. By the way I'm not designing it as a flaw.

>You call Baroque improvisation
What is Basso Continuo?

>but it's not Baroque music that implemented actual improvisation in composition, it was 20th century stuff like Terry Riley's In C.
Objectively wring, Baroque was inherently imrpovisational (the predominance of the aforementioned basso continuo is a proof of that), the same can be said for Classical and cadences.

You guys are absolutely ignorant in theory, music history, aesthetics (look at how many attributes you guys have designed as "inferior" without not even a single justification), composition, and musicology, yet you are still willing to be as much of a tryhard as possible.

Regardless, harpsichordists and fortepianists were still imrpovising extensively well into the 20th century. Virtually every great composer/virtuoso we know of was a great improviser.

Its meters are actually the meters of folk melodies he used in it.
[spoiler]Stravinsky based his supposedly original rhythms on folk song meters much later[/spoiler]

STOP TAKING HIM SERIOUSLY. He is just baiting, and he will keep coming at you with no argument whatsoever.
Seriously, don't waste your time.

How can you read that mental wastage and stay neutral? I know he is baiting and I know I'm getting baited, but someome had to do it (at least newbies won't mistake it for a actually serious post).

>You're a terrible musicologist.
Again, I'll say it again, none of this historical context stuff has anything to do with the argument I have presented. Stop being fucking retarded.
>how these principles were FORCED on young composers
This is objectively bullshit, and not only my Stockhausen interview that I cited, but also Boulez' approach for example are also examples of why this is completely false. And again, fuck off with this historical shit. Lets talk music.
>Sure, after WWII you could compose whatever you want
Didn't have to wait till then, it was already happened before WW2.
>Totally not a tradition in which people say "oh, that is just how things are now". Sounds familiar?
This is bullshit because if you have actually given some integral serialist stuff a listen (eg. someone like Sofia Gubaidulina) you can hear aspects of tonality and melody often working together with rejections of those. You obviously don't listen to anything 20th century and after if you believe it's all overtly dissonant super experimental sounding stuff 24/7.
>Gotcha, you're not a composer.
Apparently so isn't Boulez who has talked of this aspect this particular way.
>Anybody can try, but only a handful of people succeded.
It's easy to succeed writing old as shit ideas that honestly aren't that impressive compared to today's stuff.
>Fugues and Stockhausen
Fugue are easy shit to write though. Bach wrote a fuck ton of them, and they are all very samey, very basic, lacking the very same things I have mentioned while adhering to the same old bullshit. Also what citations do you have of Stocky not making a good fugue? Oh wait you don't because he never officially composed one in his professional career. Fucking retard.

Not him but
>Fugue are easy shit to write though.
Dude you don't know the first thing anout composition, nor you have ever tried to write a fugue. Seriously, it's obvious.