/daily/ - The Return of Keiji

The point of these threads is to there is no point to these threads encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make sharts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

On the last episode of /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~strugatsky
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-arrogant-sons-of-bitches/three-cheers-for-disappointment/
youtube.com/watch?v=lgHJILsqxj0
youtube.com/watch?v=qNSUi97rNu4
youtube.com/watch?v=9-6g0Kg2YyI
youtube.com/watch?v=HXAmLjo_1aY
youtube.com/watch?v=p_oDO3aOiuM
youtube.com/watch?v=UV1Yk4_WdiU
pastebin.com/bn3Us5VC
rateyourmusic.com/~The_Pamps
youtube.com/watch?v=Zl_GlPquElI
youtube.com/watch?v=UKXzq37aybA
youtube.com/watch?v=ABgGo5ICLjk
plasticresponserecords.bandcamp.com/track/bread
youtube.com/watch?v=wI0GfXynR6k
youtube.com/watch?v=IOqYBwBmX-0
youtube.com/watch?v=c5CPdlNdZsw
towersdistant.bandcamp.com/track/mysterious-icon-appears
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New Lee Ranaldo album sounds like The Beatles.

In other news, there were 2 Shabazz Palaces records released this year and I haven't seen anyone mention it, apparently they're bad

I saw the release notification on RYM but didn't really want to get into it.

rateyourmusic.com/~strugatsky

why not? I thought Black Up was really good and lotsa potential in general
not saying you should, i listened to one of the new ones yesterday and it was disappointing, but maybe ill still check the other one. maybe there'll be a track or two worth saving

hello, nice picture

nice picture too, very jazzy

I just don't feel like listening to hip hop lately

last time im checking on it i swear

Bratmobile - Ladies, Women and Girls (Kanzler)

The album tends to be compared to their debut "Pottymouth", which I haven't heard, but I'll try to express my opinion anyway. The band did manage to make each song a complete statement and surprisingly they don't even really repeat themselves thematically, even though on the surface they sound like they do. However, they still stick to the same feminist topic and while I know it's like intentional and culturally important neither the lyrics themselves nor their delivery was "on point" for me for most of the time - I would prefer lyrics to be sharper, bolder and more innovative, as for vocals - well it wouldn't hurt to really put emotion to it, cause gurl this riot gets really monotonous at times. Gotta give some credit to the bass player though - sometimes the music was ahead of the vocals in terms of brashness.

This Heat - This Heat (rym robot man)

For me this album will hold the utmost importance for its experimental creativity - in all the seeming hostility and estrangement which would be expected of something aiming at abstractness, for me the music still has its tranquil composure - it was not in any way irritating and it also managed to prove the point that it can be effortlessly appropriate for the "regular" song composition ("The Fall Of Saigon", like I doubt even the instrumental ending can be considered "experimental" for that time). It is, however, more of an exception, a seemingly minor gesture which is kind of a casual representation of a band's potential and unwillingness to reduce themselves into the avant-garde niche (that's how I look at it anyhow).

[1/3]

Destroy All Monsters - 1974 - 1976 (Shamepai)

Well, first and foremost, I wonder why would they aggregate so much stuff under one compilation (even though it is divided into three parts or albums).
Nevertheless,

Gospel Crusade
Now this could easily beat some early noise and power electronics works. While there are some of the good punk songs here, I was most impressed with the quality of noise, which really stands out from the rest of the album (and even the whole compilation).

Crying In Bed
For it was the most chaotic and experimental part of the compilation, it kinda felt like a scrapbook, but it had a great deal of interesting ideas. Like in Gospel Crusade, for me the noise was especially interesting, however, there's obviously a different kind of noise here - not pulsing and aggressive, but rather leaning into more ominous and proto direction.

To the Throne of Chaos Where the Thin Flutes Pipe Mindlessly
For me, this was the most consistent part, comparing to the previous two. The music here has significantly more independence and I can almost say there are legitimate "songs" here. While it is not any less primordial and raw than Gospel Crusade and Crying In Bed, for me it was a bit more accessible and memorable.

All in all, it's a significant milestone for punk, noise and noise rock, I think.

[2/3]

Crass - Yes Sir, I Will (Terminus)

Well, this sure has many great things about it. The style of songwriting is pretty good, that's a full blown political manifesto and of a decent quality, I'd say. The passion of their performance, well, apparently, that's kind of their thing. I doubt a lot of the bands could measure up to them in terms of "trueness", they don't just spit out slogans, they make their voice heard and it's not your usual vulgar brutal punk crap. However, that's where the flaws start as well, because the band is fully aware of its uniqueness to the point they start rubbing other bands' noses, blaming them for being conformists. I appreciate some healthy anger sometimes, but the band is way too obsessed with their delusional dystopian perception of power and state, so this anger looks scattered and of unknown direction really. Also, the music (except for "Rock and Roll Swindler) wasn't that special really (though I guess it was pretty alright).

[3/3]

bring was quite life changing, curtains wasnt :(

two questions

1) why are you droning shamepai
2) why are you posting on daily

1) he won my last tournament which was 3 years ago
2) cause I can

if this gets enough upvotes i'll make a puerto ri-core chart that will definitely have more than just reggaeton music and cool clip art

This is a fucking longshot but years ago I used to listen to this ska band that was recommended here. The album cover was balloons with someone or something using it to float in the sky. I think the band distributed the album online for free if that helps.

i want that

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-arrogant-sons-of-bitches/three-cheers-for-disappointment/

I got you

I could suck your dick right now desu

Hope you enjoyed your stay and good luck in your future endeavors

ill never use it but youll have fun making it so do it

WTF happened to Shit and Shine. Why are they blooping now? Where's the noise rock?

they dropped their shit and now they're shining

heheheheheheh

listen to it

youtube.com/watch?v=lgHJILsqxj0

quite jazzy

would you say its perhaps also a little jimmy?

I could have bumped the thread last night but I did not,

you could have not bumped this thread but you did :(

>"I Miss the Old Trips" Edition
>uses my 2+ year old OP image
it's like you were tryna summon me
whaddup fags

thom yorke? thomas? hmmmmmm

whichever one you prefer.

It's honestly a very dope pic

Are you the guy from Radiohead?

youtube.com/watch?v=qNSUi97rNu4

hey guys skip to 1:10 please
Is that section copied from another more famous song or is it original? I feel like I recognize it but never heard of "Mantis" before.

anyway im off to see le vapormeme guy live, will prolly post pix
thank you thank you
yes

which vapormeme guy?
im seeing blank banshee in some weeks

heya
ask for thoughts if you want em
back into steamroom hell w me.

wth

also what next off this

Blank banshee yea, he's playing utrecht tonite

parazoan
man 2015 was really damn good

hoo boy when you get to the haino'rourchi with the dog on the cover.... sickest shit ever

damn cool shit. let me know how it goes

ooh will dooo
pumped for dog album. the haino'rourchi records have been hit or miss for me so far. that cover art is legendary regardless.

p cool ye alright p cool

It makes sense that you'd like Jenny Hval, even when I only heard Blood Bitch

Hype Williams was just ok to me, but I wanna see what you think about Dan Deacon before he decided to be accessible
These album covers are good, now I gotta look up half of this
Very Cool, have fun

>Nomine – Blind Man
Real great, the 3 tracks are great exotic dubstep, with To The Sky being the highlight.
youtube.com/watch?v=9-6g0Kg2YyI

>Burial – Rodent
Eh, I can vibe to it and it's catchy but it feels unoriginal. What the fuck is that Kode 9 remix.

>Randomer – Residents
Jakobs Dream is noise psych techno that really gets going halfway through and Huh is just good ass techno.
youtube.com/watch?v=HXAmLjo_1aY
youtube.com/watch?v=p_oDO3aOiuM

>Randomer – Bring / Curtains
Like Huh, Bring is Randomer doing what he does best while Curtains is a bit less exciting and doesn't feel too special.
youtube.com/watch?v=UV1Yk4_WdiU

Release List: pastebin.com/bn3Us5VC

hey

cool chart and cool opinions

first time posting, here is a recent review guys

_Xiu Xiu - A Promise_

According to some people there is actually music in this album, actual songs! However, these I struggle to find under all the sounds of metal banging sound effects that sound like they were recorded in a garage using audacity with +30dB boost on the microphone. Many people say that this album is a very "creepy" Industrial Cunt-Buster Pop-Funk or whatever, but that would imply that this shit is music. To be completely honest the only creepy thing about the """"""""music""""""" in this album is the following it received, it legitimately scares me that people listen to this and can enjoy it, that and the album cover. The album cover is just some naked anorexic dude or whatever, which is possible the most retarded image they could have used.

But in a way I can understand why they chose a naked skinny dude to resemble their album, it is clearly a metaphor for them trying to start a band, and their music being shit to the point where they cannot afford food nor clothing. If the youth of this generation weren't so busy dyeing their hair various colours and trying to make everything "unique" or whatever this wouldn't be called "post experimental plunder-phonic indie-pop." In a sane world it would be called what it IS. And A promise is a piss-poor excuse of an album, like the piss poor man on the cover of the album. Bad album Xiu-Xiu.

I give it a 16/256.

Never even listened to the album.

rateyourmusic.com/~The_Pamps

how many layers of irony does your blog and yt have?

This is true.

Does reddit represent the rest of /daily/?

why is most neofolk and dark folk cheesy college freshman history lyrics layered over repetitive "sombre" music when there's so much room to be interesting?

same reason most nsbm is generic garbage i guess

The Velvet Underground - s/t (1969)
>"Art Rock"
Not as compositionally experimental as the two albums with Cale, Reed kicks his lyrical ability into overdrive on this album. The best example of that is the brain melting "Murder Mystery."

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz To Come (1959)
>Avant-Garde Jazz
Good album.

Jean Jacques Perrey - Prelude Au Sommeil (1957)
>Ambient, Electronic, Poseurcore
Somewhat impressive considering the time frame, but sounds like someone's first time getting their hands on a moog or farfisa organ by today's standards.
2.5-

Metallica - St. Anger (2003)
>Nu-Metal, Midlife Crisis-core
Unashamedly enjoy the title track. Other songs, and the title track, just less so, are the sound of a band desperately trying to stay relevant, but not complacent.
death in june sounds like the smiths lmao

also

The drums on St. Anger are fascinating.

defo worth going

Because it triggers the libs.

WTF? I love Martial Industrial now!

if anybody deserves to sell out a bit, it's the guy who's still making music using theremins and rats on the side. will listen.

>sounds like someone's first time getting their hands on a moog
>Jean Jacques Perrey
"no"

TFCF

Also Yves Tumor randomly came out with a new album/comp and it's very good

yeah i heard. should give that a spin.

Hi!

Anyone up for a 2017 song tourney?
only streamable stuff pls
and maybe nothing super long

hmmm

youtube.com/watch?v=Zl_GlPquElI
essential that you watch the video too
would put on one of the sillier tracks but this is probably the one that gets the least lost in translation

always
youtube.com/watch?v=UKXzq37aybA

penny dreadfuls has gotta be the most underrated anco song

>What the fuck is that Kode 9 remix
lol right
it's like he wanted to make that lame track exciting but only made it unlistenable

yea
Doon Kanda - Axolotl

but thats not the entirety of danse, hollindagain, here comes the indian, and campfire songs

>Doon Kanda - Axolotl
this should be illegal to use on a tourney

its on spotify but i guess the vid is cool
youtube.com/watch?v=ABgGo5ICLjk

yeah dreadful is right

yea its good
hahahahahaahaaa

Hope you use spotify then...
Joy - "Your Time Ain't Long"

essplode and hey light/native belle are definite bangers
i have yet to listen to campfire songs desu

#ancodefensesquad

This wasn't really my thing
Both vocal styles were kinda annoying, especially the repetetive background one
instrumentally also nothing that could hold my attention :/
The outro was also pretty bad
Already a lot more to my tastes, in parts sounds like stock sounds, but the vocals are cool and around 2:30 it starts to get really fun

plasticresponserecords.bandcamp.com/track/bread

I waited for something to happen, but it didn't
still a nice sound
i can't really stand cliche heavy psych guitars, but the vocals were nice

this was a tough decision

youtube.com/watch?v=wI0GfXynR6k

nice drums, meh random sound effects, obnoxious voice
maybe they changed their sound a lot or i remember them wrong, cause this sounds a lot different than what i expected
very comfy, laid-back stuff, especially liking the soft vocals

Pere Ubu nowadays is basically David Thomas ft. whoever happens to be nearby

vu's s/t was always super boring to me. The Murder Mystery was the only song I ever liked

I can see it being boring, but I like how relaxed it is in comparison to WL/WH

well, rest tomorrow
need songs from trans, jimmy, lamb and anyone who wants to participate

more weebshit then
youtube.com/watch?v=IOqYBwBmX-0

:}
youtube.com/watch?v=c5CPdlNdZsw

are these album covers or what because that looks rad

nope sorry
just random images

towersdistant.bandcamp.com/track/mysterious-icon-appears

Hey guys, what do you say if someone asks you what music you listen to? A coworker asked me earlier and I had no idea what to say - on one hand I didn't want to come off as a moron and list generic dad-rock though I didn't want to flow off bands like Nocturnal Mortum and Rational Diet that would out me as a pretentious gaylord. In the end went with BSS, Interpol and ATDI given their relatively well-known statuses and I think they still went over their head, felt really bad.

Actually, Academy Records in NYC recently sold a copy for $14k. Used to be my go-to store.

>Stonewall - Stonewall (1976)

Funny story about this album. You know Tony Soprano's record executive friend? That character was based on a real life tax scam situation with this record label Tiger Lily Records. There are only a few records out on it that we know of, and they were released on questionable grounds. Point being, they were never supposed to be good or marketable. Go figure, now it's all come full circle now and you can't get a Tiger Lily record without paying thousands of dollars.

This rocks hard. They were totally obscure, underground, garage-bound nobodies, but the sound that can fester in a situation like that is a rare thing indeed and it doesn't mean they can't rock with a guitar-driven intensity that hadn't been seen since MC5. There's a heavy Americanized Black Sabbath vibe throughout ("...trailer park Ozzy in the early stages of a meth binge," as Paul Major put it in his review) with rolling drums, lysergic Hammond solos, and a distinctive harmonica throughout that sticks out like Tommy Hall's electric jug.
7/10

>oh you know, stuff like Free Folk, EAI, Doom Jazz, Industrial Hip Hop, the list goes on...

>mfw nobody has ever asked me that question before

If it's a cute girl: Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Pale Cocoon, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, Natalie Rose LeBrecht, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Nang Nang, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Nara Leão, Basic Channel, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, zeitkratzer, Daphne Oram, Noah Howard, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Boyd Rice, Mahmoud Ahmed, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Jorge Ben, Aporea, Half Japanese, Pelt, Mega Banton, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Robbie Basho, Phil Spector, Faxed Head, Hijokaidan, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krüsi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Yat-Kha, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pärson Sound, Djeli Moussa Diawara, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, Arthur Doyle, Shizuka, The Red Krayola, Henry Cow, Magma, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Raphael Rogiński, Murmuüre, Ksiezyc, Gong, Cukor Bila Smert', cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze and Kaoru Abe
You don't want them to know you actually listen to Carly Rae Jepsen and random Jpop.

Academy is awesome. I always find something really cool there. My favorite thing from there was probably an original copy of TFUL 282 - Lovelyville.

if u listen to a lot of different stuff you can be like, oh lately ive been into brazilian 70s pop or something

idk what the 2 band you listed are so idk