Post-punk

What are some post-punk essentials? I want to get into this genre and don't know where to start.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7QBFMmIZTVs
youtube.com/watch?v=VJu-IABeCws
youtube.com/watch?v=bGpE2oXf0aE
youtube.com/watch?v=HEluoeMLTCI
youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't, post-punk is basically punk for pseudo intellectuals brainlets.

"Passing Complexion" by Big Black

Maybe I'm one, you don't know.

The Birthday Party and The Pop Group are peak post punk 2bh

the modern dance

Marquee Moon

it was an explosion with lots of ramifications

it's one of those few genres whose tree left leaves that are as influential as the wood that gave them birth

>Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
>Just give me some more conventional post punk
>PiL - Metal Box
What is this?

Wire is your essential post-punk band, good place to start

don't bother majority of jd fans end up only liking jd and maybe gang of four.

Big influence on post-punk. Through this album, people were inspired to modify the one-dimensionality of punk.

Highly recommended for your education.

I don't get the hype of Joy Division
yes,it is influential and it's consistent.But it doesn't click,the only song I personally like is Disorder

I have listened to copies of them like Script of the Bridge or even New Order and they sound much more defined.

What's the issue?

Citation needed you pretentious prick

The First Issue

How is Metal Box conventional by any stretch of the imagination? Do you believe casual fans of post punk and Joy Division also listen to PiL and Metal Box of all albums?

Good one!

Well where does it fit then? It's clearly not experimental enough to fit in that bunch. I'd say Metal Box is pretty conventional by post-punk standards and to say otherwise you can't possibly have much grasp on the genre

I'd say some conventional post punk bands are Talking Heads, The Cure, Iggy Pop, The Cult and Gang of Four (after Entertainment!). Nowhere near as caustic as PiL.

How is that pretentious faglon? Band on the run is the least pretentious album ever. It was the post-punk lot that utilized it for pretentious means.

Cant you see how the use of funk, disco and r&b rhythms coupled with melodic synths and tough guitar aswell as its interesting dynamics were a massive influence? Nothing was as sonically well rounded and ripe for extracting influence bar bowie.

Negating punk itself, band on the run and 76-77 bowie were by far the biggest catalysts on the post punk explosion. The first bands like the banshees joy division wire and magazine were bowie/iggy and band on the run derivatives. Furthermore bands like spandau ballet literally stole from band on the run.

>talking heads
>post-punk
um, user...

Bauhaus
The Birthday Party
Young Mother (classic dark post-punk/jazz noir fusion, really good shit)
Siouxsie
Cocteau Twins
Gang of Four
New Model Army
The Cure
Gene Loves Jezebel
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Love and Rockets

Remember when he said psuedo intellectual? This is why.

aren't cocteau twins the pioneers of shoegaze?

Yeah, post-punk, goth rock and shoegaze were pretty much incestuous as fuck in the ewrly-mid 80s. Stuff like Blood Bitch is definitely not shoegaze, for example.

add This Heat

Post-punk is like clumsy new wave for people who are too insecure for synthpop and goth.

But post-punk is basically goth, user

>th
>post punk
stop posting

post punk includes Goth and New Wave is considered close to it or like a pop synth version.

it's an awkward prototype for goth

yeah but pure post-punk is different

user, you do realize the only distinction today is literally "do they dress in black?", right?

the charts and recommended way to listen to it is obviously by the roots

New Wave showed the nature of the genre,not all the times,but it was pretty present.Power Corruption and Lies comes to my mind.

the only thing that has not been clearly defined is the revival

Ofc its post-punk wtf are you talking about. Explain.

Kek.

When will people learn that post-punk isnt a definable genre but a trend defined by the downfall of punk

Great, you have no other contributions. Let's be happy you're able to derail a worthwile thread then.

>Insecure for synth pop
You weren't talking about avant-garde music there.

not an argument

Dont conflate these as distinct genres. Post-punk refers to groups of bands that arose from declining punk scenes, shoegaze is a specific type of sound and gothrock is thematic/fashion.

New wave is essnetily a label for bands that emerged from the commertialization of post-punk where synths grew as the big new instrument of chart music.

pere ubu – the modern dance
chrome – half machine lip moves
the pop group – y
joy division – unknown pleasures
wire – 154
public image ltd – metal box
swans – filth
nick cave – from her to eternity
minutemen – double nickels on the dime
this heat – made available

you don't know what you're talking about

youtu.be/7QBFMmIZTVs

Eventually

>this heat - made available

That song is an exception, do you have anything else by the Talking Heads that sounds even remotely similar?

quality post

youtube.com/watch?v=VJu-IABeCws
youtube.com/watch?v=bGpE2oXf0aE
youtube.com/watch?v=HEluoeMLTCI
talking heads do have a few songs with the stereotypical post-punk/goth sound (think of joy division)
but you have to understand post-punk is firstly a trend, not a style, and talking heads are undoubtedly part of this trend

whats post-punk about this song again?
youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

Post punk isnt a specific sound. It just seems to be bands that grew from the punk scenes during the late 70s and went arty and different in attitude.

But that's not true at all.