I want to build a good gaming computer. Anyone wanna give me a quick rundown on the parts I should consider...

I want to build a good gaming computer. Anyone wanna give me a quick rundown on the parts I should consider? Probably gonna order them on cyber monday

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3DYg8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/3DYg8K/by_merchant/
m.newegg.com/productlist?StoreId=1359&storeType=105
pcpartpicker.com/list/vhqmnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/vhqmnn/by_merchant/
youtube.com/watch?v=HDDLTwS4zgs&t=491s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gpu cpu are your most expensive expenses
make sure you have enough wattage PSU(powersupply)
then depending on what frequency you want your RAM to run at get up to 16GB or more
motherboards dont get under $110 USD
case: you can go cheap but the bigger the cooler it tends to be
wire management is crucial
HDD, SDD both are for best
after market water cooling is must for AMD
not so much for Intel but optimal
if you have any further questions on which part goes to what
go to
pcpartpicker.com
good luck

Sauce.

Buy a bare bones PC and then slot a decent video card in it. It means you don't have to waste time and possibly money figuring out what kind of RAM is compatible with what motherboard, etc. You will be able to turn it on and it will at least work.

Pic related: My rig.

>2.3GHz 8-core AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU
>AMD graphics with 6 teraflops of performance
>12GB GDDR5
>1TB hard drive
>4K/HDR Blu-ray drive
>Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz
>Power, HDMI 2.0a in, HDMI 2.0a out, 3x USB 3.0, S/PDIF, IR out

to build off of this user's advice:
ram and ssd prices have skyrocketed recently by a NAND shortage, so don't be alarmed if you see $120+ for 16 GB worth of ram
PSU wattage should vary by build, a general rule of thumb is that if you're running lower level gpu+cpu you won't need 1000w psu's and can do well with 650w
intel overclockable cpu's have a k on the name, to OC you'll need a motherboard with a Z chipset

I can help you out a bit more while I'm here if you have any questions

check out the logical increments site. I went from knowing fuck all to everything I needed to and built a fine rig

BRAH that shit looks like the inside of a infested indian scamer. Refer to JayzTwoCents on youtube to learn how to make your water cooling pc look good .

First things first. What is your budget? A lot depends on that.

Personally I'm an Intel / Nvidia guy. Currently running i7 4770k with GTX 970. Obviously this is quite last generation.

The x70 is deemed to be the strong cheaper card if that makes sense. Most bang for the buck. At least was when I got mine.

As for CPU you'd want an i7 and probably a newer one of that. k allows for overclocking, but also need to make sure your motherboard allows it.

As for ram there is all kinds. Especially need to be careful about DDR3 vs DDR4 as they use different slots and thus a motherboard for one kind won't support the other. I did some recent research though and the extra performance from a better DDR level doesn't seem to do that awefully much. Maybe more in the future.

But really, comes down to your budget.

Oh, that explains why SSD are so expensive atm. Was wondering why they cost pretty much the same now as they did 3 years ago.

yeah, I feel pretty bad that the ram I bought last year is $30 cheaper than the price of today. even for black friday it's still more pricier, makes me wish I only bought more tbh

so what is your budget OP?

>whats wire management?
>Whats decent looking water cooling?
>Whats PCPartPicker.com?
Stop showing off your ugly ass goodwill bargain bin PC.
And never, EVER, call your PC a "Rig."

not the same user you replied to, but can we make this a rig thread?

Min Spec Build

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/3DYg8K
Price breakdown by merchant: pcpartpicker.com/list/3DYg8K/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($799.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG ZENITH EXTREME EATX TR4 Motherboard ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($2114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($447.30 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Gold 12TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($799.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($799.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Elite (Gray) ATX Full Tower Case ($929.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($410.56 @ Amazon)
Total: $7461.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-23 07:34 EST-0500

FUCK AMD
Go buy an 8th gen i7

r5 1600
gtx 1060 or RX 580
16 gigs ram

I've built many gaming PCs over the past few months.

It basically depends on your budget, and if you plan on using the computer for something more than gaming.

If all you care about is gaming then go with a 7600k, or a 7700k for your CPU. They're priced $200, and $300 respectively.

Your motherboard just has to have the right socket. There's many to pick from with many different options.

You want to get 16gb of DDR4 RAM to be comfortable. If you get a speed faster than 2400 you will have to overclock the RAM on your motherboard to achieve these speeds.

If you get a motherboard with an m.2 slot then for storage you want to get an m.2 SSD so you can have fast boot speeds, and if you put your games on there, then they will load quickly. You will also want to purchase a large Sata SSD, and/or a 2TB HDD if you need a lot of storage.

For a Power Supply make sure you get a gold certified PSU, and something above 500 watts. 650 watts would probably be a good minimum.

Your Graphics card is very price oriented. You can spend $150 on a 1050 ti and game fine with most games including a game like PUBG. $100 more and you enter the 1060's which are good, and $100-$200 above that and you reach the 1070's. Basically just depends on how much you want to spend all the way up to a 1080ti which is about $700-$800. Only buy one single card, and don't do SLI unless you have the money for two 1080 ti's.

As for a case, you should spend enough that you're not buying a shitty case. I have an NZXT 440. Some cases are cheap and suck to work in, and some are nice to work in with good airflow.

If you decide that you want the most bang for your buck and might stream or use your computer for something beyond gaming, then you should go with AMD Ryzen 7 series CPU and matching Motherboard. They roughly get 10 frames less than Intel in gaming in exchange for twice the cores. So while a 7700k would be maxed out at 100% with 10 more frames, a 1700 will be sitting at 60%.

I'm not sure how much I'm trying to spend. Probably like 500-600. Is that enough for a good set up?

logicalincrements.com has builds for all levels. Great web site.

You're not getting shit for that amount, a true "gaming" PC costs a lot more

Great. Looks like I'm getting a console

don't listen to the user, you can make a decent pc, but you would need to cut a few corners such as the cpu as well as the mobo, maybe even the ram if it's too expensive. Lucky for you, a gaming pc doesn't require much else except for a beefy gpu.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: GeForce GTX TITAN X
RAM: 4x LPX DDR4 DRAM 4000MHz
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro

Go to Newegg
Find a combo mobo, cpu, ram, case, ssd, power supply you like.
Drop in the VGA you want. A GTX 1070 is plenty of power for most people.
Spend 1200 or less depending on what setup you want.
Laugh at people who paid 600 or more than you did for prebuilts
Profit.
m.newegg.com/productlist?StoreId=1359&storeType=105
Link related.

>blu ray drive
>no dedicated ssd for OS
>cant even name the gpu
>2,3ghz cpu

mate never give pc advice to anybody ever again ...

best advice in this thread so ar

tfw my entire rig including 4k display was cheaper than the power supply

That's not a PC, Mr. Expert. Those are the specs of the new XBox One X.

in that case my initial statement times 1000

Satan wills it.

Rig tread

Ghz hasn't been a good way to determine CPU performance in years dude. Neither of you should give advice

and i didnt .
the point is that even 10 years ago that cpu would be anemic by gaming standards and couldnt even outperform any mid range current cpu. regardless of the ghz values .

if you feel like it you can educate me and give me a tl;dr on how to best measure current day cpu performance and why ghz rates are bad .

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/vhqmnn
Price breakdown by merchant: pcpartpicker.com/list/vhqmnn/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - X400 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.56 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($30.19 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys - AE6000 USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.95 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Blue) 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Blue) 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus - VE248H 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Corsair - K63 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - M500 Wired Laser Mouse ($24.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: iDeaUSA - S409 7.1 Channel Headset ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Other: AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz Socket AM4 ($69.99)
Total: $1057.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-23 09:29 EST-0500

sauce, my dick is diamonds

thats a xbox

Aftermarket water-cooling is not a must for amd, that's bullshit that came from the old FX chips.

I have a ryzen 7 1700X and a hyper 212 evo air cooler.
Fully normal temps under load, and fantastic performance.

Why are people in this thread so obsessed with 8 or 16 core cpus with lower ips than same price 4 core cpus? Most games don't even use more than two cores. Programming for them is abysmal, especially games.

and what are "fully normal temps" specifically? or more importantly how loud is that turbin noise under 100% cpu load.

4 cores is minimum for the games alone as many of them do use more than 2 cores or can be coaxed to do so . the other 4 cores are for the OS and multitasking . if you only do one thing at a time with your pc then sure a quadcore is more than enough.

>4 cores is minimum for the games alone as many of them do use more than 2 cores or can be coaxed to do so .
Games tax one and two, on the additional cores it just makes little computations. Try it out, start a game and look at your core performance. Although 1 and 2 are at 50%, all other cores will be around 10

you are right for "most" games some are however so badly optimized that they eat the entire performance of 2 cores and still run like shit . in the early days of world of tanks for example you had to manually force the game to use up to 6 cores to get any smooth performance out of it. also some heavily modded games routinely eat up more cpu load than the "normal" games.

Built my pc for 1200... I highly recommend a gtx 1070 for a gpu. Rips through games like it’s nothing. (Ex. Doom 144 hz 1080p max settings with no deviation )

I highly doubt your statement, because many routines have to be run in one core. And I looked it up, most current games only support 2 or 4 cores at max. Only the newest AAA title of this year support up to 8

Do it like me:

First of all, get the Seasonic focus plus 550w psu. Seasonic is the best brand for psu.

Get a ryzen 1600 and a Asus 580 8gb strix

For case go for the p400s. It has free led lighting, tempered glass and is a great case overall

Get 16 gigs of ram, 3000 MHz is good.

Get an Asus motherboard with aura sync so you can control the led lighting of your gfx card and motherboard.

General rule is no amd.
Also don't get cheap on things like PSU or MB

Atm the biggest killer is the GPU, anything above a 1050TI is over priced to shit and the 1050 is borderline, about the minimum you'd want for 1080p. What's your budget?

High 50's/Low 60's while gaming.

Fan never spins up that fast, and the bearing is well lubed and quiet anyway.

I have yet to push this cpu to 100% usage among all 8 cores.

And looked it up. WoT taxes mostly core 0, thats why it was running like crap. There are a lot of memes out there making fun of the nonexistens multithreading

I have a r7 1700x (8c/16t) and bought it for recording, encoding, modeling, and streaming. All of these things benefit from more cores.

>general rule is no amd

explain why

Yeah, but not gaming. Most people don't need more than 4, and more than 8 only make sense if you want to host your own server or do some time consuming rendering or simulation.

Bad Advice: The Thread

I'm not telling you to get one for gaming. I'm just answering your question.

To support this user, I've got an R5 1600 and I bought a 240 AIO, overkill as fuck after using it for 6 months.

>pic is taken whilst playing a game with the 1600 running 3.7ghz locked.

Because nobody I know who games only runs a game, every body runs dual screens and multitasks.

If they don't assign the other applications to free cores manually, they will still also run on the first cores.

And who the fuck doesn't let their monitors run through the gpu?

My point was you do shit on the other monitor and no, windows will blend cpu tasks across cores, just download a core monitor and watch it happen and as you mentioned, you can ofc assign core preference manually.

>tfw want a PC to play new games on
>apparently have to learn hours of nerd shit to do it properly
Fs

>plays games
>thinks he doesn't do nerd shit

I play games yeah, dungeons and dragons ones are my favourite. But I don't know how the fuck to do all this building shit. Are there people you can pay to do this for you? (I would ask one of my friends that can do this but it's quite impossible to get recommended anything that's not totally surplus to requirements with these kinds on people in my experience)

They're easy to build, it's like lego. What's your budget? and are you playing on a 4k or 1080p screen?

I'd probably purpose buy a screen as all I have now is a krap laptop. So whatever is better I guess.

Budget is probably about £1,000 (maybe $1,300 or something right now)

Bear with me, newegg window shopping in pounds.

Bumpan

Ok, so
Ryzen R5 1600 ~150
AM4 B350 Motherboard ~60
16gb DDR4 3200mhz ~120
Nvidia 1060 3gb ~160
256gb SSD ~60
2tb HDD ~60
24" 1080p monitor ~100
Case ~60
PSU 450w or so ~40
So just over 800 for the guts, leaving you $200 for other shit like OS and KB/Mouse if you need them.

I like it, maybe not the best, but it's decent. It's an eyecandy in this twisted technical way, it's like Helena Bonham Carter of rigs

> up to 16GB or more

r5 1600 or i5 8400 if you can get one
2x8 gigs of ram
gtx 1060 6GB (or rx 480/580 if you can find one cheap.)
should run most games at least 60 fps on full HD and high/ultra settings

what about bomberman

7600 will do fine, you dont need the K, unless you want to overclock, but the speed of the 7600 is just fine - additional cores generally do nothing for gaming performance. Save your money and invest in a good motherboard/cpu/ram combo instead.

I have the same case :]

If you buy black Friday, and shoot for like a $700-800 and catch some sales. You'll have a badass pc. You can build a pc that beats a console for the same price. My pc which is close to 2 years old is still better than the Xb1X that just released. When the specs were leaked I just laughed

I have been upgrading the same PC for years. I'm not even sure what is original anymore. My strategy is to find decent stuff that eeks a little more like out of my setup. I started out with a phenom x4 945, then found a 1055 6 core for cheap a year later. Now I have an fx 8350. I have kept the same motherboard. Old parts get handed down to my kids PC. I picked up two r9 280x video cards on eBay for under 250 bucks 2 years ago. That card still plays a lot of games at pretty high settings. I have been watching for GTX 970 or 980 cards. It's a lot cheaper than buying everything new.

Best, fastest and cheapest, my pc is fine but i wish ive seen this vid before getting mine.
youtube.com/watch?v=HDDLTwS4zgs&t=491s

define r4?

Yeah, you can buy everything 1 or 2 gen's old and still beat the newest consoles in terms of performance