Everything seems homogenized

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LaHcOs7mhfU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Watch this all the way through

youtube.com/watch?v=LaHcOs7mhfU

vaporwave is big with normies now
also trap

The internet is like a giant orb with the genres of music being microcosms inside the orb, floating through a vast empty space.

Nah if you had been paying attention to dance music aswell as mainstream, its been changing very quickly over the last 10 years.

Yeah the music of this decade is trap, EDM, and vaporwave

why do u want a zeitgeist in the first place?

Trap, soundcloud rap/cloud rap, and vaporwave.

Everything has a zeitgeist

not anymore

American 2010s zeitgeist-Social media as mass form of communication and supressor, rise and revival of political correctness in our ecology, sociological transition for minorities, eck-seturah
I can tell you the zeitgeist of the carton of OJ in my fridge

But this decade doesn't.
This doesn't make sense.

The musical zeitgeist was the zeitgeist.
Pop music was a meme
Hypebeasts and p4k indie-heads the same kind of person.
Time will leave you behind.

Well, personally I think we have a musical zeitgeist for this decade, let's keep in mind it hasn't even ended
You have dubstep/EDM, the soundcloud kids, trap, Weird Frontier, Death Grips, emo-rap (our nu-metal), meta shit like vaporwave. It's there.

>It's there
And it's all drek.

Nobody actually likes anything you've mentioned. Tastemakers are so out of touch, these weird things get foisted on people, and everyone's left scratching their heads. The most positive opinion being dropped is apologetic water-testing, seeing if everyone else in the room will herb them out for liking Lil Peep.
People either like post-hardcore and pop punk they grew up with, or just put on Future and Travis Scott and call it day. The spirit of the times is complete stagnance.

Matter of perspective user, remember that.
If I could compare it to one thing, it'd be the 80s in the "we're living in the future" sense.

Jungle/grime/DNB/House/IDM/Garage/dubstep/techno/trap etc has all had awesome releases in the past decade

This is obviously the way one would naturally feel if Lil Peep is your referral, probably the worst, shittiest thing to reach a wide appeal in quite some time. Electronic music has had quite the renaissance this decade but I'm willing to wager you think it's soulless.

I've said this here before but if you want something that definitively sounds like the 2010s listen to Danny Brown- Old.

most people on Sup Forums like at least 2/8s of the things listed there

Yeah but we're just Sup Forums. We have no impact or purpose or influence, just a bunch of weirdos on drugs, obsessed with music.

>soulless

No, I have more respect than to throw meaningless shit like that around. Electronic music IS going in this direction that I like, but it's still disappointing when a promising talent like Mura Masa gets wasted on fashionista-disguised-as-music-artist trash like A$AP Rocky.

My criticism is more towards the obvious divide between what's getting pushed into the marketplace and what people enjoy, than the artists themselves. Truth is, what people react to on a real visceral level is usually not what they say they like.

Go to a party, pay attention. What gets the girls up off of the wall isn't what they're spinning at the nightclubs. Trust me.

>nobody actually likes death grips
Wowie

it's not a question of music alone, really
see cultural entropy, culture/civilization phases, my homeboy ozzie spengler, etc.

They don't. People wear their shirts. People buy their vinyls. People shut off their records two songs deep. They are not a band, they're a lifestyle brand. People are too dumb to not conflate this with actual music.

>I started seeing recorded music as a kind of genre in itself. Somehow, all recorded music, no matter where it is in the world, even if it's from the pre-recorded music era, once it had been sucked into being recorded music and you're listening to a two-dimensional thing, that can be listened to anywhere any time while you're doing almost anything. In my head it's all become this one thing that's fast draining of meaning. Once an artform loses its meaning, it no longer has any real value.

>tfw born at the end modern civilization

okeh

What makes you say that?

I think the 2010s have a cultural zeitgeist but not a musical one. This decade is so confused when it comes to music and to a lesser extent atheistics. Shit is all over the place.

This, aesthetics have become this pretentious punchline and not, you know, aesthetics.

It's a brave new world, user.

With the exception of house and trap none of those things listed are in vogue though or have any real appeal in the mainstream, a lot of the great new releases in those styles are also 90s revivalism rather than pursuing their own identity that can be attributed to any cultural facet of the 2010s

What do you like about their music?

Martha Stewart is the most influential figure of our time.

True to a certain degree. Thanks to the internet, fads come and go quickly.

It's for the best, user.

I mean, it doesn't take a genius to see that the world we live in is in no way sustainable.
I will live long enough to see it all end in a slow-burning shitstorm but not long enough to see what's on the other side and how we end up. My children will probably have to live in an absolutely shit world.

so basically no zeitgeist

its going to be funny when you retards realize this was the best era of enjoying art we are ever going to get.
this is an art renaissance we are living in. you can access any era at zero cost.

netflix and the rest of social media is slowly killing it off and making everything crowdfunded. which is good and bad.

Netflix still has the chance to become a beautiful mess of distribution and content, you hear it's gonna spend 7 billion on content next year? That just sounds spectacular in itself.

I def utilized it the best I possibly could, listened to as much out there music as possible. It really was the shangri-la of media the past ~10 years. Too bad the fucking fascists, feds and lawyers are going to ruin it for everybody so they can suck the shit out of their rich master's assholes.

The accessibility of EVERYTHING is what is killing cultural identity in the first place.
>you can access any era at zero cost
How does this make it a revival? Popular music didn't just die every decade until the internet came along.
An artistic renaissance is about the creation of art, not the consumption.

By way of having too many options, you've become an incomprehensible blob of nothing. Total freedom isn't what it's cracked up to be.

>An artistic renaissance is about the creation of art, not the consumption.
which is happening
did you ever imagine somebody like beyonce sampling fucking animal collective?

Yes and no, I get to curate my own tastes and honestly it helps me get to the root of my own musical sensibilities. Made me a much better musician.
I do think free stuff can devalue it and it's obviously not sustainable if nobody actually spends resources on it. But I don't really see how I've become a blob of "nothing". I never really turned into those people trying to download terabytes of music just to have it, I just had much easier access to what I was interested in.
Kind sounds like some pseudo-right-wing logic so popular among you people.

So what are those roots?

pop music isn't art

Art is subjective, dingus.

Yes I'm sure Beyoncé produces her own music
Even massive pop music producers get around, it's not surprising he would be familiar with AnCo.
You could say the same about Drunk And Hot Girls and that was just before the internet became as massively accessible to normal people as it is, so I don't really see your point.

>Art is subjective
>shit retards say

Whatever, Jacques

>tfw you can become the father of a new civilization

>Does anyone else feel that there's no real musical zeitgeist for the 2010s
its trap music you damn idiot

I know, I'm just scared I won't make it that far and yet will live through the fall

Well, I personally like music with a strong beat structure and dense, intertwined melodies. Don't really like singer-songwriter music or folk music, much prefer jazz, soul, funk, afro-cuban music, math rock / experimental indie or classical music (yes I'm aware it doesn't have strong beat structure).
Complexity isn't everything, but I fucking hate bands like the pixies for example.
Used to listen to alternative music but never understood why I hated so much of it, it's because it's boring crap.

>will live through the fall
are you blind or something

Are you implying we're in the fall already?
We haven't even began to enter the world of shit we're in for.

this interviewer
>I dont get it, you can say anything ?

This is why electronic music is a total farce, generally, even if there's cool ideas. It's the sound track to "everything's fine guize"

>we
if by "we" you mean the States and top 5 countries

No, I'm talking globally
Yes, even Venezuela
I'm not even in the top 5, but I'm not sure how that's relevant when I may as well be going by my standard of living

then you're not a smart type

Not even going to elaborate and instead ambiguously declare your dominance?
It's possible to have an actual argument even on Sup Forums believe it or not, but I suppose you'd rather keep making empty statements.

>a thread about dead/dying culture
>Not even going to elaborate and instead ambiguously declare your dominance?
Ok, here's my argument: the cycle of global post-modern capitalism that started in 1970 is nearing its end, whereas in the political realm the institutions that can prevent its pernicious consequences are dying out while the mass society is being fed rehashed popular culture narcotics that methodically make them dumb and even less conscious than in the beginning of the 20th century, which is a quick suicide in conditions of the advanced material culture.

Hey, you're not allowed to say that sentence you fashionist

If you're still concerned with the retarded left/right dichotomy when talking about the end of modern civilization I don't even know what to tell you, you're brainwashed.
This shit is the least of your worries, capitalism is only one avenue of many we could have taken to our bitter end.
I still don't quite understand your aversion to "the end" being global rather than only affecting your "top 5", you seem to be thinking in terms of the dumbing down of people and culture rather than the very real prospect of an absolute end to the modern world as we know it, which goes to show you're no less ignorant than the masses you scoff at.

Do you have a single fact to back anything you just said up?

hello, /lit/? and fuck off eternally.
>This shit is the least of your worries
Really? What's my primary concern then, "bettering myself" or other such drivel?
>the very real prospect of an absolute end to the modern world as we know it
And how is it going to happen, apart from military or industrial annihilation exactly because of the lowering of general level of intelligence? Well, if you're not going to elaborate on it then you're the one who doesn't give a damn and resorts to elitist esoterics here.

read a few books dipshit there hasn't been a zeitgeist of the kind you're looking for since the 60's, we live in a post-apocalyptic wasteland ruled by corporations and they've left just enough trees in the right places to keep you fooled

It starts with $20 trillion debt and uh, go from there. Do your fucking homework. You have to be a child to not comprehend how epically, Biblically, fucked it is.

The fiercest economic crisis in history is not a fact?

What the fuck is your problem? You're arguing with people you fundamentally agree with over semantic hair-splitting.

>This is what they're teaching in school

No, we're arguing over bullshit esoterics.

Wrong?
Ok, so I'll completely agree with you on enviroment and economy is definitely on a huge downward trend, but culturally?

>Wrong?
No.
>but culturally?
There is no culture left, only entertainment.

no music zeitgeist because music is sound and sound hasn't changed
still the same
just noises
whats the point in having a zeitgeist when its the same all the time

The culture we're experiencing right now is a manifestation of the masses putting their heads in the sand.

This. That "synthesizers can produce any conceivable sound in the auditory spectrum" is something that was literally said about the symphony orchestra in its heyday.

Yeah but pop music literally isn't art, it's entertainment.

Yeah, go listen to that John Cage's piece that lasts 800 years, yuppie asshole.

art is entertainment....
are you being dumb on purpose??

When has that ever not been the case?

"synthesisers can produce any conceivable sound"
no shit they're called SYNTHESIZERS for a reason

no, yup your asshole

i think its more that we have come to meet new people in new ways
the possibilities from crowd thinking are endless
i look forward readily to the bold new innovations that
the digital age willl bring us

Economic collapse.
We rely entirely on a resource that isn't renewable and is impossible to completely replace before it's already over.
Even getting oil requires oil, fracking only postponed the crash a little bit instead of preventing it.
And to answer your first question, you should be concerned with making life for yourself, the people you trust and your family as good and comfortable as possible while also keeping it sustainable so your children or your children's children don't live absolutely shit lives in a dying world and ensuring they live through that.
This left/right shit needs to fuck off, it's making people define themselves using an incredibly limited construct that isn't very useful to begin with that hasn't even existed for 200 years, what kind of shit is that?
People even start lieing to themselves about the things they believe in so that they aren't part of the other team, it's narrow minded "me ooga, they booga" fucking bullshit.

so when a dog chews on a toy that is art
for the dog is being entertained
by the toy that it chews but it doesn't consider that
Art at all!

>We rely entirely on a resource that isn't renewable and is impossible to completely replace before it's already over
yes if only oils had a repeat button like spotify does :( the only renewable energy that matters to me though is when the CD starts over at the end

>>
this

the toy itself is a work of art. so yes. but the world isn't black or white like you're making it seem.

So, St Matthew Passion was written to keep you entertained? Or the Requiem? or Grosse Fuge? Or the Twilight of the Gods? That's quite incredible, tell me more indeed.

>incredibly limited construct that isn't very useful to begin with that hasn't even existed for 200 years
you mean like OIL??
every thing comes in cycles you have to understand once we use up the oil there will be something else instead, its not like we use oil in the tv remote; maybe batteries will become more important than oil, and then after that theres still manual gears; those trains that you winch up and down on either side, theyy aren't using oil

You could say the same about popular music as a whole, the indie alt-rock schlock you listen to that you think is above pop music is also just a product.
All recorded music released digitally, on a disc, on a cassette, on LP, etc is a product, even if it's released for free.
That doesn't meant that popular music cannot be art, just that it isn't inherently.
What makes it art or not is your own arbitrary construction of what makes something art, which is subjective.

>no shit they're called SYNTHESIZERS for a reason

I'm saying this isn't a novel concept by any stretch. What exactly, on a physical level, does a synthesizer do that a combination of the instrumental section cannot?

lmao look at this retard

everything s black or white
thru the eyes of the dog

run on batteries

The hippie era was the last true independent culture. Now everything gets flipped for cash - even the most extreme anti-establishment subcultures like noise and power electronics are being flipped to the mainstream for a quick buck because they can be aesthetically pleasing. And traditional cultures are being intentionally erased so that everyone is the same and everyone will buy the same products - soon, Ukrainians, Chinese, Laotians, Nigerians, Colombians, British, Russians, Japanese, and Kazakhstani will all be virtually the same culturally, with only a few outliers caring at all for their heritage.

Of course, this model of excess is not sustainable and leads to people becoming apathetic and depressed, wallowing in decadence to try and avoid it. But this house of cards will blow apart, and when it does, the facade of happiness will be gone and people will finally realize that they slowly had their identity leeched away until they had nothing.

I would say that's the typical reaction you would have gotten, but this was already in 1999, and even if the claims were a little outlandish at the time, the Internet was already big enough for Bowie's opinions not to be met with such a high degree of skepticism. Paxman is a tard, basically.

>The hippie era was the last true independent culture
well then why didn't they call them indies
wait a minute!!!
theres a movement called that
hmm need a different name for them then

>So, St Matthew Passion was written to keep you entertained?
i don't make up the opinion of the world. but plenty of people fine great pleasure of listening to those works. so yes it is entertainment. what else would those works would be for?
academia? are you studying classical in university by chance?

yes but we are not dogs. and dogs didn't create the toy.

>run on batteries
That's a limitation, not a strength.