Why do people listen to free jazz?

Why do people listen to free jazz?
Why do people make free jazz?
Is free jazz even music? Or just a meme?
What's the difference between good free jazz and bad free jazz?
I'm so confused

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0kK6igKd69Y
youtube.com/watch?v=GC0dXPPiyVI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good free jazz has some kind of nuance. Preferably several kinds, technical ability, shape, overall contour, interplay between the musicians, all good examples of nuance.

Without nuance it's just noise. The vast majority of "free jazz fans" on Sup Forums haven't realized this yet and just listen to whatever free jazz they think is the most chaotic and aggressive, probably because it comes the closest to the metal and rock that they'd rather be listening to.

Any kid can enjoy free jazz

You're right. I can see a little kid enjoy fast random silly noise.

im still not sure if braxton is a genius or suffers from head injurys, what do you guys think about art ensemble of chicago? i think their more avant-jazz than free jazz

Free jazz takes repeated listens to get into. One listen for each instrument treating the others as background music, then a listen to take the music as a whole.

/thread

It's easier if you don't just jump straight in without knowing anything about jazz.
imo it's better if you approach it from a different direction than your regular jazz music, like through post-punk or no wave, where the chaotic nature of free jazz goes really well with the overall jerkiness and roughness of the other two.

Try this album for a starter
youtube.com/watch?v=0kK6igKd69Y

People like things that push boundries and go beyond the limits of what we consider music. Same reason people like noise rock and people would rather listen to Sister Ray then I Want to Hold Your Hand.

But Free Jazz actually is incredibly complex and difficult to play, you have to be pretty talented to pull it off.

>But Free Jazz actually is incredibly complex and difficult to play, you have to be pretty talented to pull it off.

Nah it really isn't.

Because it's energetic, fun, chaotic, and contains the full spectrum of spontaneous expression. You probably don't like it because you're low testosterone and need something more predictable. What music do you even like besides Radiohead and Kanye? Walk on, son.

>energetic, fun, chaotic, and contains the full spectrum of spontaneous expression.
You want to know how I can tell you're a rockist?

THIS. i love the emotion behind free jazz

Go on, tell me, smart guy. Apparently, by your tone, you seem to be under the belief that jazz isn't supposed to be energetic or fun. A casual like yourself obviously isn't aware of the hot jazz, or anything outside of Miles Davis post-WW2 period shit. Go ahead and school me.

>i love the emotion behind free jazz
AKA I don't know shit about music theory because Im a rockist who doesn't care.

if you have to ask i dont think you'll understand from someone telling you.

It really is though. Please show me a smooth jazz solo as good as Albert Ayler's.

Redpill us on your enlightened music theory, cool man. Apparently Eric Dolphy, John Coltrane, Albert Ayler, etc, learning, practicing, and playing for 16 hours a day just didn't get it.

This should've been the first reply.

How about all of you experts post me one example of good free jazz and one example of bad free jazz?

Its a meme propagated on people desperate to be seen as open minded. Pic related

>he doesn't get why abstract expressionism is good
Probably a bit too early to tell only a few days in, but is high school what you hoped it would be like?

It's black people letting out the pain of living in a perpetually toxic and oppressive society they imagine for themselves out

Pill me on this. I enjoy a lot of abstract expression but can you explain why it is inherently good?

While we're on this topic, what's the name of this type of jazz where they play the sax fast, distorted and formless? it's like something you described but the only place where I have heard it was in soundtracks, and vague descriptions like "free" or "avant-garde" don't yield the results I want.

My favorite Free Jazz album is Meditations.
Machine Gun is overrated.

>Because it's energetic, fun, chaotic, and contains the full spectrum of spontaneous expression.

Implying Kanye West doesn't do this.

>Jazz
Performance has some form of composition that improvisations are played around.
>Free Jazz
Performance doesn't, all improvisation.
Truly this is a conundrum for the ages.

>implying anyone would bother trying to explain art history and postmodernism to some rando on Sup Forums who uses expressions like "pill me" in their vocabulary
Stop being a lazy cynical contrarian anti-intellectual philistine child waiting to be spoon-fed, and actually go read a few wiki pages. And maybe actually go sometime to a real museum in person and look at the real things, and see for yourself how striking and daunting they really are, not on fucking google images. It's the same as the Brakhage argument. People go and watch that stuff in a small window in 240p on youtube inbetween superhero flicks and whine how art is dead, or even the opposite, "whaou my life is now changed forever and ever". Don't be the "my kid could do this" mom. In all 3 cases you literally need at least some knowledge of the medium in order to understand it. I know it's irritating because it makes you think you're stupid, but it's the fucking truth. And it doesn't even only apply to abstract things like free jazz. You get so much more appreciation for music once you learn even basic music theory, or even at least its general artistic progression throughout the 20th century.

i bet you watch rick and morty

I bet you do, you sniveling retard.
not the guy you responded to btw, just think you're retarded
go jerk off to balding middle aged libertarians on the internet elsewhere

What the fuck is this even supposed to mean?

Good vs Bad is a very complicated thing when it comes to avant-garde music. Most of the good free jazz comes from musicians that have already proved themselves to be able to play normally but choose not to because they want to create something new and different that hasn't been done before.

I watched the first 2 seasons with a friend and it's not my thing. Too edgy, and in terms of "social commentary", highly overrated. People praise it because it brings up touchy subjects "maturely", and while it does, it then proceeds to do nothing with that and throw everything out the window in exchange for butt jokes and tfw johnnycashhurt super duper sad 2real moments. Not to mention how most episodes just revolve around the basic random adventure of the day + constant deus ex machina because the writers decide to be lazy. Oh and the creators are edgy pretentious meme dicks who talk about things like "tumblrinas" and "triggering" in interviews and expect people to take them seriously because they're real "artists". I remember Bojack Horseman doing it much better and more maturely, although I haven't watched the last 2 seasons.
;'^)

No one cares. This is a thread about free jazz not what cartoons you've seen.

christ just fucking read art history.
>inherently
No, it's obvious you have no bearing on the history of ideas and need to start with the greeks anyway.

I mean, that's what the " ;'^) " was for. Thought it was clear I'm being facetious, with the extra long pointless replies and everything.

That's a good album.

1.Because they like jazz and have a taste for it. Similar reason people like aphex twin and other EDM people who slam the keyboard
2. Because they want to and for some it pays the bills
3. If some of the minimalist shit ive seen posted on here over the years can be counted as music, so can free jazz
4.Its a matter of taste retard not your personal guru go make your own opinion

thread/GTFO

always hilarious to see a pleb stumble across experimental music

FPBP

youve never been around children have you?

pruddy gud m8

my nigga this is real jams

Why don't you just listen to mathcore?

Not chaotic enough.

I remember that one /classical/ thread a while back when some guy stumbled upon serial music and was trying so hard to understand it. That pyramid image is a ridiculous troll but you really do need to be mentally ready before you dive into the "higher level" stuff, you can't just go diving in.

pollock is an interesting example of someone with no "theory" so to speak making it over the edge. of course he flopped toward the end because he didnt really understand what he had accomplished.

>noise isn't music, it's noise! where's the RAWWWWK??? where's the structure and riffs???

>closest to the metal and rock that they'd rather be listening to
actually close to jam based noise/industrial, but nice projection regardless

kek'd at the filename

I don't think it's too ridiculous a notion in accepting there's a hierarchy in accessibility. Unless one's personality is inclined toward seeking new experiences to begin with, going into modern/contemporary/postmodern art without engaging in the historical dialogue to contextualize it is a recipe for confusion and thus ressentiment.

Because it accurately represents the modern soul

youtube.com/watch?v=GC0dXPPiyVI

Saxophonics
Check out band critters buggin

Melody > Harmony