Bored Network Administrator AMA

Bored Network Administrator AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books/about/Cyber_Operations.html?id=ZfrNCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OS?

Is a bachelor's degree in comp sci or certs and experience better for a 25 year old?

kali linux

are rabbits subject to karma ?

Mixed: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows 2012 Server, 7, 8.1 and 10

Every sentient being is subject to karma

Experience obviously, nobody cares anymore about degrees unless you graduate from an Ivy League House

Programmer fag here. This is 100% true

CompTIA certification ?

Even this dog is subject to karma, look those legs

No certification at all, experience and degree

how much salary?

dang, that's one leggy mutt

CompTIA

NIGGER GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE WITH THAT PLEB SHIT

tongue my anus

Around 40,000

How'd you get yours over time? What was your focus on?

How often do you spy on network users? Anything funny ever come of it?

Aww did you get your A pwus certification and think you accomplished something? Back to bestbuy you go, pleb!

Writing/Reading/Learning I have a degree in Computer Engineering, in Psychology and in Public Administration and Political Sciences so I focus on learning not so much in doing money (to my detriment I must confess)

Often, nothing happens here so from time to time I look into others cuck life

I wanna become a SysAdmin to learn how to hack
How can I do that?

Your feel about VXLAN ?

ParrotOS is better

What do u use to secure your network ie hardware firewall

What speed does your isp provide you with

Ouch. Got my 2 year networking degree 3 years ago. working as IT manager for a law firm, making 73k.

It all comes down to personal opinion
I've seen people with black arch

But Kali is the most popular

Well security is one of the fastest moving targets in technology so you have to start somewhere and practice till your fingers fall off, and read practical books that guide you, my cousin was reading Cyber Operations: Building, Defending, and Attacking Modern Computer Networks from APress he said it was OK plus the title makes you look non-fagot

If you just wanted to fuck shit up, how much damage could you do?

Do you use Google Ultron?

Go into IT Security, not Systems Administration.

Yeah I know, I'm not in the US

Im a computer engineering fag at UD, how much money do you make? also what is your daily day at work like?

Real hackers are Sys admins
Watch Defcon vids

I don't wanna be a script kiddie

Completely obliterate this company, the owners are closely entangled in politics, I have access to accounting and everything, many shady things happen here so...

I do need to practice more, but i'm more read team than blue ;)

>Cyber Operations:
Bookmarked
books.google.com/books/about/Cyber_Operations.html?id=ZfrNCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

Nop, I use Brave, Opera, Torbrowser and Chrome in Qubes depending on the task

Around 40k, mainly reading and watching the perimeter with the outside world (firewall, dmz) from time to time

How good/enjoyable/pleasing is that work? I'm fucking autistic and just picked randomly between careers and now I'm afraid of the future ;-;

Yeah, it's just a matter of opinion, the tools are available mainly on Linux so you could use any flavor you want, Kali is prepackaged and custom tailored for that task so it's very popular because of that but you could just install and configure the tools yourself in any distribution you like

It all depends on the dynamics of the company, this one is very stable and therefore allows you to do many extracurricular activities but it turns out to be boring from time to time, fortunately I am allowed to explore many subjects

Which one is better ? Bird ? Quaga ? GoBGP ?

One guy working here was the target of a politically motivated offensive and it turns out that he fathered ALL the children of a former colleague who happens to be "happily" married to another guy who completely ignores the fact

Hmmm I see, that doesn't sound bad really, hope that my autism let me end the career first than my life

Well a randomly picked career isn't a bright augur for your future, or happiness/satisfaction/realization, but who knows?

Make yourself busy. Check logs or something.

A matter of opinion...but I will say: ExaBGP

I just did, I created an AMA thread

I build, configure & troubleshoot networks running on anything from CAT5e to 100GB QSFP+ fiber/optics. I say OP is a liar.

'nother programmer fag, and I concur.

I am much obliged to object: fake news!

Cisco Meraki is master race.

I wanna make a home network to learn

What equipment would you recommend for a poor fag?

Yea got my two year and certs after serving in the US Marine Corps Infantry. Making 85k as a sys admin for a medium sized company. Life is nice in IT. It also helps I'm nEar D.C.

Hop on Freecycle (free yahoo group) and obtain whatever is available. That's one way. You can also request on there too.

Keep tabs on your logs, user. You dont wanna make the same mistake I made.

I'm re-building my lab now.

advice?

I know is a bad thing to do, but when moment came to decide I had NO FUCKING CLUE of what to choose, so I said to myself "I kinda like technology and kinda know programming (basic shit, not rocket science) so this shouldn't be so bad, right?" and now I'm here, hoping that I grow some self opinion and know the I would like to do for a living ;-;

One of the IT guys here lost an entire array with accounting, he blamed the weather for the catastrophe, then made the accounting faggots recapture months of data because his last backup was months old

Yeah I second that motion

You'll be fine, IT is everywhere, it's like medicine and medical school, just cheaper

ew, vsphere

get a real OS fag

Damn. No off-site storage for backups? I would imagine that the accounting department's data is something that would would definitely want to keep safe.

It's pretty stable. It's just that it runs Linux OS's kinda slow. It's best fit for Win Server 2003.

Thanks man, I'm really hoping so

There was an offsite backup, just not from this age

I'm 34 and I hate my job. No programming experience whatsoever. Odds of breaking into this industry?

Cisco, Brocade, Juniper, Extreme?

Wireless:
Cisco, Aruba, or Ruckus?

100% if you are willing to either make a degree OR prove yourself in the field for years to make yourself known and accumulate the experience

Cisco

For both wired and wireless?

Wow this is actually encouraging. Do you mean full on BS in computer science, or will an associates be enough? I already have a worthless BA degree.

I need to automate a network diagram
Do I use Visio programming
I am manage software side of things and our network team is shit
Manual diagrams out of date.

Not OP. I got into network with a BS in Information Technology.

Not even a full 4-5 year degree, look those fags

Yeah, that or Smartdraw

Only wired, I don't trust wireless, not even to Cisco

Been running Aruba at my work. Pen testers couldn't crack it last year. Production wireless uses certificate based machine auth with WPA2 Enterprise 256.
Next project will include 2 factor user auth with smart card in addition to machine auth.

And how much $$?

For the wireless or my salary?

I make $69k workib g for a state government agency. NDA prevents me from b3ing more specific.

Phone keyboard sucks.

What do you use to encrypt and safe all your data?

For the wireless network come on!

dm-crypt gpg

Sysadmins outside the US are grossly underpaid in general.

although the other guy making 40k with 4 degrees seems really underpaid.
I make 60k as a fiberoptics technician in Europe and i'm still a low level grunt who just finished his apprenticeship.

About $50,000 in access points and $10,000 for controllers and management/monitoring server.
I don't know how much licenses or maintenence/service agreements are.

3 degrees

do you ever get drunk and go into work on two hours sleep? do your superiors mind if you're hungover as fuck?

What would you recommend doing to get into your line of work?

I failed IT in university because I couldn't get behind the math, but I wasn't bad at logic and algorithms. How hard would it be to get into your field?

Too expensive for this lads

So I had an idea for a mesh network.

You can get a 1.5mi access point for $169. Pair that with a shitty craigslist PC for like $20 and 2 3TB drives ($70 each) and for $330 you can get a working node on the network.

Each node has a ARP table of sorts, where you have an unique id for the file, the md5 or sha256 hash of the file, the files actual name, how many hops the server is from it, and the address of the server that is next in line to being closer to the actual location, or actually has the file. Then each node will mirror a less than 1gb file to itself if its over 5 hops from it. When you want a file each server quires its database for the file or nearest server than has the file, and sends you back the file if it already has it, or when it temporarily receives it from another node.

Then what happens when you have a whole lot of meshnets not connected to each other? We plot when satellites that are lesser used in an area and set up time tables as to when each network's base file server (a large storage server ~30TB) can transmit. The server will transmit the oldest file it has yet transmitted to the satillite. first a start code, md5 hash, secondary start code, the file data, stop code, md5 hash, stop code. All the other servers listen to the transmission and record it to their drive space, then check it with the md5 hashes. Then if the file is corrupt, it'll query to the other network it wants it rebroadcast. That part i haven't figured out.

Any ideas? Critiques?

pretty sure these have already been answered, read the thread

Not often, but has happened and never, in my department I'm god

OP concurs

do you have a fat sister?
can i fuck her?

No ideas or critiques but I like the shitty Craigslist and satellites stuff