Music theory is pointless and doesn't make you a good musician

Music theory is pointless and doesn't make you a good musician.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TYgOlqinH7A
youtu.be/49alQj7c5ps
musictheory.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OK but what does?

>music theory
>pointless
t. music illiterate

riffs

It doesn't make you a good musician, but it helps knowing what you are doing because you can think of how things relate to one another. It's descriptive rather than prescriptive, everything can be defined by it. If you play a chord, that's music theory in practice.

Practice

ok but you can't use any sort of music notation system anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=TYgOlqinH7A

You need theory if you want to translate the sounds, feelings, and colors in your head into music.

You don't need theory if all you want to do is cover other musicians and hope to stumble into something that sounds cool.

I get endless amusement from finding out what you people think music theory is.

What the FUCK is music theory?

>The dictionary is pointless and doesn't make you a good writer.

Statement doesn't make sense. If you play an instrument you'll eventually remember patterns. Once you've retained and expanded on that pattern, even without knowing how it is called, you've learned music theory.

The only way to not learn music theory is to erase your memory after each time you play.

any tips on how to into music theory?

But you need to know music theory to construct a coherent and musically pleasing riff.

Also riffs are music theory just by their very nature.

Obvs OP is talking about actively studying music theory and being aware of it while making tunes.

it's the theory that all music is shit

You literally cannot write innovative music without understanding basic theory and history.

>who is lou reed

>who is brian eno

>who is jimi hendrix

>who is beyonce

It's a certificate you get which makes you better than other people.

you need an instrument to play along with a good book on theory and ideally a teacher for some time as well.

Music theory is like religion. Even if you choose not to have one, then you've chosen one.

Atheism would like a word with you

elite guitarrist who knew music theory

elite singer who knows vocal music theory

What is the musical equivalent of atheism?

atonal noise music

>tfw atheist and noise enthusiast
fuck im a cliche

People who all literally knew/know theory

and what do you practice?

hmm maybe mess around untill you find something that sound good. Write it down, and try to see if you can find patterns in what sounds good.

Oh wait they did that for the last 300 years and it's called music theory.

upvoted

>Hendrix didn't know music theory

Stfu music theory can make you a better musician. Wow Hendrix didn't know it so what you don't lose anything by learning it. Just go learn the fucking theory you lazy cunts

>Music theory is pointless
physics is also pointless
it doesn't prove a point, it shows the laws of matter as they are

Reminds me of Adam Neely's way of saying it

that's a fucking stupid analogy

Looking into that myself. Some terminology helps a lot at first. Like scale degrees, what "enharmonic" means, how different scales are formed.
For example if you know a basic major scale and it's degrees and elements, you would pretty easily understand how to make a minor scale if someone told you "yeah just flatten the third, fifth and the seventh". Really dumb example but you get the idea

>using more than three colors makes you a shitty painter

It doesn't make you a good musician but it makes it easier to make good music if you know it

same

exactly. you dont need it to play guitar but you need it to create and understand well

>but you get the idea
I very legitimately don't. What did you use to learn the absolute basics?

I second that question

Your comment is the equivalent of a person putting hands in his ears and yelling "La la la la la, I'm not listening!".

>Beyonce
>Elite
Definitely applies to her team of producers and writers.

What if you're not a musician or not in any way interested in music on any substantial level? Your analogy is horrible.
If this is yours too, you should delete both of your posts.

youtu.be/49alQj7c5ps
How many times does it have to be explained to you people?

Surely just about anyone listens to atonal noise music when they're out with their friends. What clichés are you even talking about?

the extent of music theory you need to know depends on how into music you are
basically just get a guitar or keyboard or something and go to this site musictheory.net/
after you've learned all of it you can start to understand what people are talking about, like the equivalent of being in 5th grade
but trust me, the rabbit hole goes WAY deeper