Been a /bleep/ faggot for many many years and decided it was finally time to check out oneohtrix point never since...

Been a /bleep/ faggot for many many years and decided it was finally time to check out oneohtrix point never since everyone recs them to me and everyone raves at how good it was. I was very underwhelmed and it wasn't bad music. but it was just so bland. What am I missing? Tried all his albums for a few months, don't get the hype.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GJF0HJgDl_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=S8z5TMhl8ZU
youtube.com/watch?v=srgfmAvwmPo
youtube.com/watch?v=_ciBrKUefM8
youtu.be/CkVoSnjMz_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=bthgwuY-SeI
youtube.com/watch?v=KJUxSt4mLVs
youtube.com/watch?v=8bjdMPlZaDo
youtube.com/watch?v=cKruAvl1wxk
youtube.com/watch?v=zbgg5HF3ASI
youtube.com/watch?v=og41c2P35mE
youtube.com/watch?v=eisvt1EpCcc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsboVv_GH8
youtube.com/watch?v=qYnHDqJUHD8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

opn is tangerine dream for people who weren't born during their good period and were too underage to experience their shitty period

Listen to Chuck Person's Eccojams. It's much better than OPN

replica is an absolute masterpiece, the rest is a bit meh but I appreciate the effort in trying to make something unusual like rifts or the eccojams

try dopplereffekt

they're autistic af but still certified /bleep/
only because the dude was in drexciya

youtube.com/watch?v=GJF0HJgDl_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=S8z5TMhl8ZU
youtube.com/watch?v=srgfmAvwmPo
youtube.com/watch?v=_ciBrKUefM8

opn takes a big influence from them
p sure the knife does too

daniel lopatin once said most uk garage tunes are better than anything he has ever released
youtu.be/CkVoSnjMz_Q

Stick to boring /bleep/ stuff. This stuff is too sophisticated for your simple mind. You need more 4 on the floor shit.

thanks for the recs lads

>This stuff is too sophisticated for your simple mind
is this you?

The stuff around 2011 is his best work. Replica, Tim Hecker collab, Rene Hell split. Games/F&L is the only nu80s synthpop worth listening to imo. RP7 is alright, but he relies on presets to do way to much for him.

you're right, that's why I just stick to bleeps and industrial

*loops synth arps until they sound layered*

Nope. Stupid question as it has nothing to do with music.
Your loss.
>implying that doesn't take skill to layer the simpler stuff he does
>implying that all his stuff is like that

a song like this is better than his whole career
youtube.com/watch?v=bthgwuY-SeI

Nah, it's just repetitive beat oriented bullshit. If you think this is better, as I said, stick to boring /bleep/ stuff. You can't do music unless it isn't steeped in post-50s pop cliches. Nowhere near as layered nor creative in its approach to songwriting as OPN, rather it's fit to rip off many of its predecessors.

Lots of pretentious talk for something which is essentially just midi presets layered over simplistic sample loops.

>90s chewing gum commercial is a midi preset
>early 2000s pop song sample is a midi preset
Lmao. Like I said, stick to boring /bleep/ shit so you can pretend you club but have never gone to one your whole life, listening to only the most boring music.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Windham Hill revivalism meets mild glitch. His compositions are quite boring.

And actually I'll expand this to say that the whole vaporwave/synthwave thing in general is for people too young to have rented Lawnmower Man on VHS from Hollywood Video. If you experienced that shit firsthand it's totally superfluous.

I think you mean The Art of Noise, not Tangerine Dream

>implying that doesn't take skill to layer the simpler stuff he does
Less skill than music that's actually good.

this. babby's first electronic music

Nah he sounds more like Optical Race or Melrose era TD. Or maybe late era Art of Noise where they did shitty novelty records.

Throw in a dash of Holger Hiller and the critics worship you.

OPN sucks dude

>listening to only the most boring music
>says the guy listening to music derivative of early 90s stock music

Not at all. OPN, as can be seeing in this case, does more with less, and that takes a lot of skill to get more out of less.
Nope. I used to be like all these other idiots comparing him to Tangerine Dream or Klaus Shulze or w/e, but then I actually listened to him, and realized that he's nothing like those guys.

In fact, anyone that's lurking or posting or listens to OPN here should realize this. If they compare OPN to any of those 70s guys or some sample based dude from the 80s/90s, then they have no clue what they are talking about and only look at genre tags on RYM.

>fanboyist non-arguments
welp looks like we're done here

I don't think so. Not as much as The Art of Noise's album The Ambient Collection, at least

>muh non arguments
If you're fucking retarded and have no clue what the term means, sure.

I bet you think radiohead and MBV are the pinnacle of music too

>Nope. I used to be like all these other idiots comparing him to Tangerine Dream or Klaus Shulze or w/e, but then I actually listened to him, and realized that he's nothing like those guys.
You're right because those guys from the 70s were actually good.

>and that takes a lot of skill to get more out of less
No it doesn't, minimalism isn't the pinnacle of restraint and maturity, that's a pleb as fuck opinion, sorry.

I was thinking of Below The Waste.

The later compilation stuff was done without their involvement as far as I know. They'd broken up years prior.

nice non-argument

Nope, outside of Kid A and Amnesiac which I listen to occassionally, I don't care for either. But if you are going to disregard the sheer amount of work put into some of the more well received albums, you're obviously a younger poster here. I'll just say that you stop please because it's pointless to argue over petty things like this. Spend your time better.
Nah, their approach to electronic music is very different and to think of them as comparable just outs you as a shitty rockist (which I was at one point, too.) OPN has his own approach that's great.
But it's not just minimalism. It's more akin to electronic music's equivalent of jazz records where it's mainly only one solo guy playing but he does a lot with his one instrument. If you are only able to classify the music this way it implies that you aren't able to pick up on some of the more micro changes to the timbre that electronic music is capable of.

hows your first few months after graduating high school going?

Graduating college has been great. I got myself a pretty decent job. Hopefully I'll reach six figures by the end of the year. Not yet though.

reminder that opn can't write a decent rhythm even if his life depended on it

youtube.com/watch?v=KJUxSt4mLVs

opn is kiddy shit. you either have to go big or go back to /bleep/

>posts outdated dadtronic music as an example of something good
Hahahahahahah, please, continue to show how out of touch you guys are.

>If you are only able to classify the music this way it implies that you aren't able to pick up on some of the more micro changes to the timbre that electronic music is capable of.
lol no, any decent electronic music "micro changes to the timbre"

well, he's never been about rhythm anyway

Not really. Most dance music examples like what you see on /bleep/ have just brand new sounds introduced in and out. Same with the 70s stuff that it's being compared to itt.

And OPN's glitchy new age is changing the paradigm how, exactly?

Some people don't treat their music like fashion.

Must be really shocking for a p4k drone like yourself, I know.

stop viralling your shit faggot

This is the Grimes autist picking up a new topic to shitpost about, isn't it? Jeez.

No, variation of timbre is often the main form of expression. Listen to acid.

What electronic music do you like might I inquire?

This is his only good song aside from Eccojams

youtube.com/watch?v=8bjdMPlZaDo

By creating what are essentially sound collages that sound like nothing that has been out except by those influenced by him.
It's not about fashion, but opening one's mind.
>tells me to listen to the one form of electronic dance that relies on just one synth type as an example of timbre variation
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAh

>I was thinking of Below The Waste
I haven't actually listened to that album yet. I've been meaning to check it out

>I've been meaning to check it out
don't bother, it sucks

feel free to make an actual point at any time

mostly industrial, hardcore, EBM, trance ambient and drone

>don't bother, it sucks
Too late, listening to it now. It's making me think of old educational software on CD-ROMs back in grade school

Already made many points. Stop being dumb/or dyslexic

>Already made many points.
they're too retarded to respond to

some stuff i've been really enjoying from albums lately
youtube.com/watch?v=cKruAvl1wxk
youtube.com/watch?v=zbgg5HF3ASI
youtube.com/watch?v=og41c2P35mE
youtube.com/watch?v=eisvt1EpCcc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsboVv_GH8
youtube.com/watch?v=qYnHDqJUHD8

Yet you keep responding to them with "muh no point/argument". It seems like by your own argument, you're retarded enough to respond to them.

meant to respond to

>crumchy

bird memes are cute

>people falling for this shitty bait
Friendly reminder, if you don't like R+7 then you should get off this board.

What's this called again?

How have I never heard of him? Either way it's pretty good. Time to delve more into it

If you think Replica, R+7, or GoD are bland then you really need to relisten because I think it didn't click for you.

>reminder that opn can't write a decent rhythm even if his life depended on it

>well, he's never been about rhythm anyway

Do you guys have ears? What am I reading? Most of his latest work is extremely rhythmic and most of its listenability comes from the unique rhythms he came up with.

OPN in interviews has said he can't work with drums (which is why you almost never hear drums in his work), but he's never said he can't make rhythms.

Whether you like him or not this is making me realize most of Sup Forums is just bullshitting when they claim to have a higher understanding of music or something. If you can't pick out all the interesting rhythmic and polyrhythmic stuff on nearly every album he's made you must be beat deaf or something. I find myself constantly humming the rhythmic themes of songs off R+7.

I like him

>I find myself constantly humming the rhythmic themes of songs off R+7.
because you're a fucking autist

>if you don't like my favorite album you need to get off this board
I think you need to go back to redd.it.

they're all boring fight me

pic never fails to crack me up

what's yr tangerine dream recommendation?

Impossible Nothing.

Am I crazy or does 0PN have a tune that samples the Zulu chant from the film Zulu?

I swear he does but I can't find it anywhere. Did I just dread this?

wow this thread is still alive

i used to be huge into opn. but once i explored majority of electronic scenes. i do find his stuff pretty bland
G.O.D. was really good tho. rp7 i think is one of his worst. just a bunch of tracks mixed into one.
still life is basically 3 tracks he put into one.