Bedroom Studio

Let me see your gear. I know at least half of us are amateur/aspiring/failed musicians and have a collection of obsolete and overpriced hardware that sits in a corner gathering dust.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nqy7s8tN-tE
youtube.com/watch?v=-EdnWQqlerc
youtube.com/watch?v=inY1IXy0xbw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have since rearranged stuff and actually set up my monitors
Too bad I'm shit at actually writing melodies

i want something like this, all hardware, no computer in sight, what do I need exactly? A mixer, a sequencer, my synth, a sampler? How do I run effects pedals through them? How do I record it? hmm

Very nice collection there, that's pretty much what I'm aiming for in the near future. I just wish composing music was as easy as blowing three months pay on shiny new synths

I've since hooked this up to my computer (ergo the Korg controller on the left) but I started with just a mixer, the volcas, and the ms20. Just add on to that, try to gravitate towards stuff with a sequencer and pattern saving.
As for the pedals I have the fx out running into the board and then mix the individual inputs in when needed.

All that being said I have absolutely no proper training in this, I've just been doing it as a hobby for like 5 years.

You're gonna need a laptop for recording and mixing unless you want to raw dog it on a cassette recorder.

By the way... What's that module between the sq1 and the microbrute and what's that yellow thing with the red knobs?

i know people who have all the gear and still do shit music

Yeah... I take some comfort in the fact that I'll be able to get at least 60% of my money back on most of my gear after I realize I'm tone deaf and have no talent

Oh yeah and for recording I just had the mixer running into that small black rectangle next to it, which is a tascam 8track.

A WMD Geiger Counter.
It's mostly known as being a bitcrusher pedal but it's capable of an insane array of sounds. If I could have only one pedal it'd be that.

Much love for the ES1 hombre

Korg ES1 Tascam 488 MK II classic vibe Tele

MPC 2000xl, Roland S-550, Tascam 388 in storage at the moment. Using the ES1 for drum loops and reverb for the guitar. Getting some older midi capable synths soon.

And the thing between the sq1 and the microbrute is a Make Noise 0-coast
Check it out, the thing's nuts

Some sort of stand alone recorder like a cassette deck, cassette 4 track, or reel to reel, or even just a 2 channel USB recorder, any of these from your mixer RCA out will work. a 8 or 16 channel mackie mixer more than likely. A sequencer like a mpc or I'm sure there's plenty of options these days. Can also be your drum machine. Use it to sequence any midi capable synth or sampler. A midi keyboard to play it all. You can use rack effects or pedals through the effects and aux sends on your mixer.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nqy7s8tN-tE

holy fuck, its like a studio in a box.
youtube.com/watch?v=-EdnWQqlerc

Having done that years ago, I recommend you just use software. You need to have too much shit to make it sound good.

That is the entire concept of modular

Thirsty

anymore gear is more about conspicuous consumption than music

>conspicuous consumption
u could have made a tune by now if you spent all the time posting in every gear thread making a tune

I'm actually taking a break before mixing down something I just recorded

cmon u guys!!! theres gotta be more than three niggers up at midnight with a collection of obscenely overpriced plastic crap? lemme see some photos! I NEED TO CUM!!!

Right now on my bed I have a Yamaha PSS-380, Alesis Quadraverb and Midiverb II, a Yamaha REX50 and headphones. Yesterday I was also using a Casio SK-8.

hnnng...

I'm super cheap
Squier Strat, Audacity, Guitar Rig 5, Rocksmith USB cable.
Currently trying to come up with a new sound in Audacity.

This is everything, I also have a PA system that I mic the amp with using that SM57 there. I don't record, I just get really drunk and play late at night with the PA cranked in the dark. I really need a drum machine at some point but I don't know which one to get.

$150

>I don't record, I just get really drunk and play late at night with the PA cranked in the dark.
omg same

$450

$1500

Jealous, wish I could let loose at night. Is that your garage or do you have a space? I'm trying so hard to find a space but they're almost inexistent around here

Oi blyat CYKA

I can't tell if you're roman trolling or the real guy fuck this shit

basement.

buy a cheap shitty house in some country town where all the houses are spread far apatt. if you live in the midwest it should be no problem.

who is roman and who is "the real guy"?

fuck you roman

my name is chris and im from chicago i dont know who youre talking about

It gets to about 11pm, I think i could play my sax now I'm really in the mood.
Just too loud though.

my future as a forever alone with a post secondary paper is a giant euro rack (and my record store weekend job employee discount is great for vinyl)

pic not mine

related question: can't i just put out tracks using a single workstation like juno g

Do you cum on the sock on your bed?

>pic not mine
I jacked it from r9k so it probably has cum

These threads get my heart going. I'm such a fucking nerd.

bonus

>Audacity
COME ON.
At least use Reaper. It's free and 1000x better than Audacity, you cheap fuck.

is it? it asks for $60 for private use

There's a 'trial version' that doesn't inhibit you in any way. You can do literally anything and everything you could've done if you had paid for it, except with a 5-second 'gibe me money' nag screen when you first boot up Reaper. The only difference after paying for it is that the nag screen disappears.
Basically, paying for Reaper is optional. I'd highly recommend it.

and even then, the nagscreen doesn't actually open every single time. it open shows up the first time you open reaper after booting your computer.
reaper is surprisingly powerful but it's pretty bare-bones for what it is. doesn't come with any fun synths or drums or vsts or anything like that, so you have to use all of your own programs inside reaper to make music. still, it's pretty great once you customize it.

do yourself a favor and use software sequencer

>thousands of dollars of gear
>moved back in with my mum in a room with boxes piled up and no room or table to set everything up

>tfw wanna be like you guys
>don't know what any of this shit does
How to into creating music

I know it, fucking sucks man. I keep moving and can't take anything with me. So annoying to not be able to settle down in one place year and after year.

Start small bro! It takes a long time, don't buy shit you don't need. Do you research. Maybe start making music on the computer and then get an interface, and then a synth or some FX pedals to modify your sounds, and go from there.

If you're taken to /diy/ you could build some shit yourself!

steal a DAW somewhere, they all have at least one simple inbuilt synth, try fooling around with it, look up some tutorials for the synth you're using. it really not worth buying hardware the first time

So are those Roland Botiques any good or are they laughable compared to the originals

Do you guys recommend using an electric guitar as a midi controller?
I never see anyone using it
Also are sound cards worth it?

>sound cards
You mean audio interfaces? Absolutely! Don't have to spend much, even a freaking $50 interface is better than the mic/line ins on the computer.

>guitar as a midi controller
They do have MIDI pickups for guitars. Interesting and lots of fun, but there are some problems with them. For example, the string/frequency/note detection latency is pretty high for the low strings which causes some problems. I haven't used one in ages though so hopefully the technology is improved now. Still pretty neat that you can spit MIDI out of a guitar and use it to control anything you want - a string bend could automate a fade if you wanted.

believe it or not I started making music on my nintendo ds, then I kept researching different music equipment until I ended up knowing how most of this stuff works.

the key is to not have any friends and always stay in your room.

The 0-coast looks like it's heaps of fun.

This is how i have things setup at the moment. Mostly using the gear in a band setting but I also do some stuff seperately on the computer. Want to try and integrate hardware with a DAW but I only have a shitty usb-to-midi cable that drops out randomly.

>learn to play an instrument
>learn how MIDI works
>learn to mix/master
that's it

>that's it

I see.
Thanks user

>ywn be as cheap as me

Yeah, that's the gist of it mostly.
1.) Learn to play.
2.) Learn to record.
3.) Learn to process.
Am I missing anything?

Oh okay thanks so much user so simple!

1.) Learn medicine.
2.) Learn brain surgery.
3.) Learn to remove malignant neuromas and save lives.
Am I missing anything?

1.) Learn law.
2.) Learn politics.
3.) Become President.
Am I missing anything?

that green/black front record...

youtube.com/watch?v=inY1IXy0xbw

you're missing that part when you need to make a network of like-minded politicians and spread corruption

you forgot having a good musical culture and developing a good ear

I think what you've said is important because some people don't actually know what they want to actually sound like.

Learning to play the guitar doesn't require nearly as much effort as becoming the President or a brain surgeon, you lazy buffoon.
Who the fuck asks for advice, gets advice and then rejects the advice they're given? Fuck.

There are much better workstations than a Juno G; a Kurzweil or Korg Kronos would be a good all in one workstation; anything short of that will be overly limiting if you're using it exclusively.

using software to sequence hardware isn't so great though

You don't need good musical culture or a good ear. Fred Durst has neither of those things and he's doing just fine.

Holy fuck, you ungrateful faggot! It's not like he's going to or let alone has to spell it all out step by step for you.
1: Get lessons/teach yourself
2: Read some books, buy a controller, look on the internet
3: Talk to audio engineers, go to college, or look on the net.
4: (learn to record) repeat #3
5: stop being such a faggot and do your shit.

has been fun building up this rack unit, can give more details if anyone wants to know about any of the gear.

so what is a good starting mixer ?

i have an ms20, volca bass and sample and a midi keyboard and hoping to buy Make noise-0

Do you have any music posted?
I bet it's fucking divine.

I recommend the Beringer XENXY 1202FX. It's analog but it's pretty clean for me.

General gear question.

I want to do live electronic music. I want to keep it as simple as possible, so I was thinking I could get a Behringer MicroMixer and plug my laptop w midi and an mp3 player into it, and then from there go to the main mixer at the venue. My mix will also be plugged into the main mixer.

The reason I'm going to use an mp3 player is because Ableton will sometimes kinda glitch out once in a while.

I'm worried about buzz or a weak frequency to the main mixing board. Should I be worried?

My mic. Not "mix".

Why don't more amateurs just stick to MIDI equipment until they're good enough to get some use out of real hardware.

You gave the same step 5 times. But I agree

yeah so... what is all that stuff? i know next to nothing about how rack mounted shit like that works. looks a lot more professional that a moog hooked up thru a dd7 and a fuzz factory

It scares me seeing these rooms, you ould send your life buying and playing round with gear without learning important stuff and never make a finished song

I fell for the moog sub 37 meme too :(

Here's where the band does its business

Posters went up 10 years ago don't talk shit

My fun bedroom corner setup

ITT post like we're in anco

Genuinely curious why so many of you have all this equipment. What does all that shit do that a DAW doesnt?

it's cheap junk mostly

Analogue
Fun

>What does all that shit do that a DAW doesnt?
takes up space and looks neat

It is much nicer to twirl knobs and play a keyboard than click and drag a mouse. You also feel like a musician rather than a tapestry weaver

Outboard gear inherently sounds different than software. You can rationalize emulations all you want, but it doesn't sound the same.

meh, it's better to focus on the result rather than the process

different doesn't mean better

Same logic applies to VSTs as well.