be me

> be me
> live in a school bus
> travel around the US for the last year with my GF
> Visited 28 states, 20k miles so far
> know all the tricks for doing this cheap

AMA

Pic semi related, not my bus but a similar model.

Bumping with cool buses

wooden bus is weird.

bus booty

dope dude, ever make it out west?

what do you and your gf do for money and how much do you make doing it

what are your yearly expenses

For sure. Spent a few weeks between SF, Berkeley, Tahoe, Oregon, and Washington. Was easier than I expected to find places to park at night.

How to ?

how's driving through the desert? what's it like man, ive wanted to do shit like this forever

sounds comfy, whats your bus like?

how have you not been caught by the bus driver yet?

I make money online in a few ways. Building web sites, programming contracts, affiliate programs. Some white hat, some black hat.

Costs depend on a few things. If you're travelling around a lot, fuel can be as much as a mortgage. Figure you get 8-10 mpg on the highway. Biggest expense is food.

How to what?

I've got solid AC in my bus. Desert wasn't a big deal. Mountains are a much bigger deal. High altitudes reduce the effectiveness of your engine's cooling system, and 7+ ton buses aren't really made for that. Bus life can be very cool, especially if you have a partner.

how much does your online work make you

How do you sustain your cash flow, how do you handle showering, how many people lived with you guys, what kind of modification did you do to the interior how comfortable was your trip

I'm very sneaky.

Short bus, so space is at a premium. Overall if you are handy it's so much better than an RV, and much more durable than a van.

Varies. I've made 15k a month, I've made 1k a month, generally around 5k. If I work harder I make more. Also depends a lot on what sort of gigs you'll accept, black hat and adult tends to pay better.

have you documented your trip? if so how? is there anyway we can view it? im just so fascinated by the free spirit

I work 7 days a week, but only a few hours per day.

Showering is easy, $20 will get you a gym membership at a national chain. Feels weird the first couple times you do it but it's no big deal after that. If you're in cooler climates (not sweating) you can skip a day.

It's just the 2 of us and our cat. We did bring a friend out for a weekend so it was fun sharing a full size mattress with 2 girls.

Mods inside, that's a long list, i'll make a second reply with it.

I've been taking lots of pics, eventually I'll post up a recap. Lots of people have youtube channels and blogs about their experiences.. The popular channels tend to be 1% substance and 99% a pretty girl (here's to you, Elayna).

Part 2, mods. We've got a full solar power system (400W in panels, 200AH in storage capacity). Futon, chest freezer, big TV, composting toilet, soft storage for clothes and bedding, lots of storage.. Lots of reflectix (insulation). EVerything except the engine ruins from solar power, and everything except the freezer runs on DC power.

Thanks, interested because I'm thinking about buying my buddies bus for a similar purpose

God I envy you sounds like a great set up, you said your work is online who is your provider how reliable are they really

>Adult
Giving BangBus a run for their money?

If you're doing a long term deal you need to be pretty picky about buying a bus. I'm pretty good with a wrench but it is much better to not have to turn them. Even with a reliable platform, parts wear out, and the aftermarket for school buses you'll always start around 150k miles.

Why wouldn't you post this on /out/ where it won't be deleted in 1-2 hours?

Not quite. There's a good chance you've seen one of my sites but I'm not going to name it. I've also done contract work for a number of other sites you'd be familiar with. I try not to put my name on anything.

Actually that's one of the tougher parts, you've got to have a good strategy. I built a repeater with a high gain antenna to pick up free wifi from stores (at a chick-fil-a right now), I spend a good amount of time in starbucks (free power and usually fast internet), I've got a unlimited data mobile plan I can tether up as well that I try not to abuse. I save my big bandwidth stuff for when I have wifi but my GF is all about netflix/youtube/hulu/etc while I'm working regardless.

Maybe I'll do a thread there another day, but won't be so forthcoming with some of the details.

was there times you've had doubt about the trip? whether it be financially or maybe with your relationship?

What's your plan for retirement?

Absolutely. Travelling with a woman long term isn't always easy. At the very least, women go tot he doctor a lot, and obamacare isn't so good at crossing state lines. Our plan really only gives us coverage for the ER if we're out of state, and has a huge co-pay.

Also we had a major spat early on the trip. Nobody's perfect, my GF has a problem with alcohol that was much more serious than I was aware of previously. Not something you can hide so well in such tight quarters. She's been sober since then but that was a decision point in our relationship for sure.

how old are you and your gf

are you going to eat the wrong plant, shit water and die in your bus?

I'll likely never really retire.

Probably not, I don't really eat strange plants. and its not like we live in the wilderness where you can't get to a doctor if you need one.
30s

where do you like to go, travel-wise

So what do you plan on doing to support yourself in your old age when you are not able to work on your side business?

I like to see the variety of people and places that are out there. Had a lot of fun in the gulf, sleeping on the beach is pretty awesome. Fall colors in the northern states are amazing. Met a lot of really cool people!

In western Idaho we went to a Walmart where you can't tell if everyone there has fetal alcohol syndrome or if they're just really really ugly. Surreal.

1. Where are you from

2. Where have you been in Ohio/what did you like in Ohio?

3. Favorite place you've been/thing you've done?

4. What affiliate program(s) do you use for your web work?

If anything, my work is getting easier over time. At this rate I'll be able to make money just by banging my head on my keyboard. I can do that when I'm old.

/n/ --->

And when you're unable to work and/or in ill health?

You must realize that your plan is nonexistent, right?

how did you learn your skills?

do you have any advice for someone trying to follow a similar path?

do you not realize that at his rate he could have a serious retirement fund prepared, especially if he's letting physical limitations retire him.

Whats the trick to get a GF?

>1k a month
>around 5k usually
>serious retirement fund

lol

>not including growth of personal business
>not including growth of savings

this board is 18+

Why do you only shave your left goose egg?

the guy isn't buying a house

Midwest but I've lived a bunch of places.

I've been to ohio a few times, I was there a few weeks ago, a huge ass storm followed me there and dropped the temperatures. I think ohio can be pretty if the sun comes out. Last time I was in Ohio was years back and large parts of Cincinnati was underwater at the time.

We've done so much cool shit on this trip it's hard to say. Honestly we got really lucky and happened to be in the right place at the right time for a bunch of things. Maybe my favorite was fishing in Minnesota at a pier and a big group of Asian retards showed up and out-fished us by a mile.

Amazon and Walmart are both good for above-board stuff. For adult, you can't go wrong with cams.

>and then and then and then Ill eat cheetos and live with mom

jeez

>live in a depreciating asset that is constantly stressed and requires maintenance
>fuel costs as much as a mortgage
>all meals need to be purchased
>constant traveling impedes amount of work done by simple logic
>zero equity ever built
>living hand to mouth
>no plan in case of illness or accident, each of which have been known to obliterate lifetimes of savings

>considering a living space an asset
>implying 24/7 travel
>implying you grow your own produce for every meal for free and that OP doesn't grocery shop for canned goods when appropriate
>implying 24/7 travel and that the gf can't drive
>implying equity is even a valuable investment other than the fact that it is low-risk
>implying no savings
>implying this wouldn't be a problem regardless of OP's situation

another thing that I feel is important here, OP doesn't have kids

Like I said, I'm likely to never retire. I'm doing fine with savings and investments, though, so if I do get so old I can't work I'll be fine.

And I think you overestimate my expenses. I'm debt free, I don't pay rent or for a mortgage, I don't pay utility bills, I don't have student loans. My biggest expense is food.

Lol

I saw udemy.com was having a killer sale on online learning courses if you wanted to get into web development, they were $5 last week now they're $10 until tomorrow.

Some stuff you have to have a mind for, security/hacking concepts you can learn the concepts but never really get it if you don't have a knack.... But ultimately if you want to get started you have to just do it. Nobody is going to hand it to you.

You can make serious money in adult, but 99% of people are barely making their monthly beer budget. It's easy to build something that makes $1 per day. Do that 100 times and you're making more than most teachers.

It's really not hard if you're not autistic. If you are, it's much harder because interpersonal relationships don't make sense. The main thing to remember is that people are people, male and female both, and nobody wants to be lonely.

Secondly, you need to be places where your prospective mate would be, doing the sort of things she would be doing, or you'll never have a chance to meet her.

Third, recognize that life isn't fair and some people will be more valued than others... And that you should expect to find a mate that brings a comparable level of value as you do. If you're an overweight neckbeard who works at taco bell, you're not going to be dating a girl who looks like JLaw with bigger boobs with a masters in astrophysics and her own mansion.

OP obviously a school bus to lure kids in and rape them

example of an adult place where i could make easy money? i have web dev skills

Damn you turned a fucking school bus into an RV and managed to live life while making around 5k a month, user you are a legend.

Your mom likes it that way, I know it's weird.

Fortunately your fantasy is just that. If that was a reflection of reality I'd be pretty depressed!

Before I painted the bus I was actually afraid to drive through neighborhoods because some dumb ass kid might try getting in at a stop sign. Even after painting it and removing "school bus" letters and visibly modifying it, you can still see kids mouth the words "school bus" as you drive by. Kids are idiots.

Do you still have to have a class C license to drive it?

Check out the gfy forum. Lurk for a while and read what people are saying. Like here, don't believe most of it. There's a help wanted section there but don't make it too obvious you're a noob.

The #1 thing is to do it yourself. As soon as you're paying someone else to build/repair your bus, you're just pouring money.

#2 you have to figure out where it makes sense to spend more and where you can go cheap. I've got an awesome Futon mattress that cost way more than the basic one, but I sleep good and wake up refreshed. But I went cheap in a bunch of other areas.

#3 is to set up for the lifestyle you want. Most people doing this have built it out like a typical RV, with 30A power inputs and a big generator and holding tanks... They can't be away from a power outlet for more than a day. I can sit still for 4 days without the sunlight, and in an emergency I can connect my house battery to my bus battery and charge from the alternator.

And of course, if you're afraid to sleep in a walmart parking lot, this may not be the life for you.

about how many hours per week do you dedicate to actually working? (for an average week in your average 5k/month month

If you title your bus as an RV (requirements to do this vary by state), there is no license requirement so long as it's under 26K GVWR, and that's only enforced in line 1 state.

CDL isn't required below that weight if you're not meeting certain other criteria (passenger count, actually using it for commercial purposes).

How many niggers have tongued your gf's anus while u sat in the corner singing the wheels on the bus go round and round?

Fair enough. I cant imagine a bus weighs under 10k lbs though. Would you still require a dot medical form? Maybe its different for a short bus.. have no idea how much a bus weighs

I put in around 2-3 hours a day actually working and then another 3 or so monitoring emails while watching youtube and reading. I was fishing from noon to about 4pm today.

A good chunk of if it passive income that doesn't really require frequent effort. Some sites I just ignore as long as my monitoring software doesn't alert me to a problem, and I can spend an hour every few months actually doing anything with them.

very impressive

So far only your mom.

Mine is near 13k, something like a 32 ft TC2000 is around 20k. The requirement doesn't kick in until 26k. Commercial DOT requirements mostly don't exist if you're under 26k and not actually a commercial vehicle.

Shortest I've seen is 3 windows and a wheelchair lift.

im sure you've met a various amount of people along the way. can you give some stories of the most interesting and/or fucked up people you've met?

In the UP (northern Michigan) we spent a day at a local coffee shop, and all the tables were old people church groups. The group closest to me was a bunch of happy old guys complaining about how the preacher says they're supposed to not hate gay people. This was a serious discussion that lasted almost an hour. After they left, a fat militant lesbian with blue hair sat at the same table and bitched to her friend about the patriarchy. I enjoyed the contrast.

The other day, I was stopped at a light and a homeless guy walking by asked me where I was going. I pointed forward and said "that way". He asked if he could come with me and genuinely looked sad when I said nah.

In Oklahoma, they have a fish called the Paddlefish which has some pretty strict rules around keeping them.. You have to have a tag, you can only keep them on certain days of the week, and I think you can only keep one per season? Anyway I was fishing for white bass in a river and a truck full of good old boys (and girls) rolled in where I was parked. They broke out a folding table and electric knife and threw paddlefish after paddlefish on it and fileted them as fast as they could, and took off. I assume they went back to catch more after that.

Maybe my favorite though was the asian retards in MInnesota. One gal actually looked decent from behind but her face was all fucked up and she couldn't talk, but boy she could fish. Not just fish, she could fish while retard-cussing at the fish. Motherfuckering them like a pro.

thanks for the info and cool thread

Are you Justin?

not OP but I'm Justin

Do you travel in a bus?

no i live with my parents

No I'm not Justin. I don't know a Justin either.

Any more tips on making it in the online income/affiliate marketing world?

Trucking fag here, if you fuel at major truckstops and get their rewards cards, (I prefer pilot/flying j, and loves) they give you a free shower per 50 gallons (stop at 50 and swipe again, the hell do you care?) You fuel as long as you swipe their card. Most have big showers with endless hot water and sinks to shave and all that.

If you and your girl want to shower separately, ask for a "team shower" they'll give you 2 showers for 1 credit. Just let them believe you're a trucker.

Oh, also to add to this, you get points on your card over time that have an in store dollar value you can use to buy all sorts of fluids, gloves and other shit you may find useful in a pinch.

friendly bump