John Petrucci

Jesus fucking christ, I just started listening to Dream theater, and since they are hated on this board I thought they suck..but god damn this bands instrumental proficiency is just insane. Not only Petrucci but every Member is a god (not the singer).

Listening to this man Guitar solos is just amazing, they are on a different level. Most guitarist I've heard sound the same but this guy is able to change his style. The harmony, the melody, proficiency... he has it all.

Can you pls explain to me why this board has a problem with this band? Easily the best prog metal when it comes to instrumental proficiency.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TUmJ4fvYIII
youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9HIxfVDXA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because this is Sup Forums, where anything that is actually good and popular is hated because 90% of the fucktards on here think hating something that is like makes them cooler

I think a lot of people actually like Dream Theater but refuse to admit it. With prog in general it's hard to call some of or cheesy but then defend listening to some of it. Like, in my opinion Close to the Edge is a masterpiece and 2112 is garbage but it's really hard to defend having that opinion because every criticism I have of Rush probably applies to Yes as well.

It's fine to listen to and appreciate Dream Theater as long as you don't take it too far and do something crazy like spend $3K on an EBMM Majesty.

>EBMM Majesty

I don't think I will ever buy one above 2k, no money

Once I started ignoring the lyrics I found out Dream Theater are an amazing band

agree but they also have some good lyric music aswell

Now listen to this. Better than Dream Theater IMO.

Because Sup Forums in general prefers emotion over technical proficiency. It's exactly why Buckethead is a similarly divisive meme. Nobody can deny that Buckethead has speed, agility, and accuracy that few can match, but there's something so soulless about it.

Admittedly I haven't heard much Dream Theater, but listening to someone play 8 measures of 64th-notes in E-Myxolidian or some equally contrived esoteric folderol doesn't strike me as being a particularly enjoyable experience.

Sure, I'd love to listen to

*squints*

Shmphonb

Check out john's solo album "Suspended Animation"

Shmphonb x*

Heh, I'll link a track to you. It's my fav from the album.

youtube.com/watch?v=TUmJ4fvYIII

It's pretty a much a metal Kansas.

Just by listening to them for 2 days, I can't say they have no emotion. Their stuff is really broad. I agree on the buckethead part.

What guitar experience is enjoyable for you?

Okay now listen to some good prog metal like Leprous, Tesseract and Gojira

Already have, I can't consider them better than Opeth, Dream Theater or Symphony X. I know these 3 are more popular.

>Leprous
meh, boring

>Tesseract
very good band

>Gojira
its ok

When someone says the word "soulless" or "soulful" I know they don't know what they're talking about.

Yngwie Malsteem has some very "soulful" playing, what are you even talking about.

You haven't heard the right Buckethead stuff.

I just found they got old pretty quickly. Honestly if the memes were right and it was nothing but 20 minute songs of non-stop time changes and shredding I'd probably love them but the reality is that they throw in way too many generic rock riffs, "soulful" dull ballads and quirky "look I changed my synth sound for the fifth time in a row while playing the same lick over and over" breaks that completely ruin the flow. Dream Theater isn't a bad band by any means but they're just not interesting enough for me to listen to anymore.

Masturbation general?
Dream Theater is boring as fuck.

They are a pretty good band, the only ones who hate them are the hipsters whothink their music is mainstream shit (i can understand albums like The Astonishing but all their stuff?)

My favorite one is Train Of Thought

Sup Forums hates wankery, if a band does a lot of wankery they'll hate it

prog as a genre is chock-full of wankery

Except Rush. Rush is cool.

i love rush, and i love wankery, some people here even despise rush

obligatory

youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9HIxfVDXA

Mixolydian is not an exotic scale, you ignorant faggot...

Other than that, I agree.