David Bowie

Really want to listen to more Bowie. What should should listen to? What are his "best" albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S4fBKP4hQu4
youtube.com/watch?v=9SnYNAxgrjo
youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtp1tvpkBk
youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhd_qhIr2g
youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0fmqWS-kI
youtube.com/watch?v=JhZqsYkl1zI
youtube.com/watch?v=R4beFFtIb1k
youtube.com/watch?v=vrfc8c6VkTA
youtube.com/watch?v=JnrAb9YtwEA
youtube.com/watch?v=qpL1IokHH5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=eL03lUj89oY
youtube.com/watch?v=V01oQ_BsX00
youtube.com/watch?v=Phh_J9k-EUs
youtube.com/watch?v=8LvPLxZVQDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IWm03wYBTbM&list=PLzyn5WlOPcwovx22loSI5iv7d7j7khc1s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

everything from The Man Who Sold the World to Scary Monsters is great (except pin-ups)
Blackstar is amazing
Heathen and The Next Day are pretty good
most of the 80's and 90's stuff is pretty meh for me, but theyre not terrible for the most part

Listen to these first:
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs
Station to Station
Heroes, Low ,Lodger
Scary Monsters
Heathen
1. Outside
The Next Day

Then:
Hunky Dory, Young Americans, Black Tie White Noise, Hours, The Buddha of Suburbia, and Reality.

And then Blackstar.

Well, something to note that's somewhat well-regarded as true is that he had an absolute golden run in the 1970's to early 80's, maybe even a little more depending on your taste. About 12 albums at the least, depending on your taste, from The Man Who Sold the World. Anywhere in there is surefire.

What his best albums are is debated, but you will generally hear The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Station to Station, Low, or Heroes. Station to Station's been getting a lot of attention around here lately. Personally, it's probably almost #1 for me, but I have a soft spot for Diamond Dogs, which is worth a look (A botched-by-licensing rock opera about 1984 that still sort of is one is pretty great).

Really, comes down to your taste. You say "more Bowie" so it'd help to know what you listened to, or your tastes. If you like harder rock and poppier sort of stuff, I'd say start at Ziggy. If you're into instrumentals and slower music, start at Low. If you're into funk, avant garde, or prog sorts of thing, start at Station to Station.

Really, start at the top and go down. Have fun.

Listen to them all in chronological order.

the only correct answer

again
Yeah, pretty much that.

youtu.be/S4fBKP4hQu4

Start with Tin Machine

The Major Tom songs sync perfectly with each other its amazing.

Listen to all of Diamond Dogs and then Word on a Wing and then kill yourself to Within You with As the World Falls Down in the background as nothing will ever get as Kino as that in your pitiful existence.

Everything from his first album up to Young Americans, is GOAT. After that, avoid everything else except the motion picture soundtrack for Ziggy Stardust.

This but I'd throw in Outside too

That is the strangest opinion I've ever heard on the subject and I want to learn more

Literally backwards
Can't even meme properly smfh

his core albums are Hunky Dory. Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, Low and Heroes. listen to all them in whatever order before moving onto anything else

also Station to Station is his best album

>Station to Station
Did you mean Diamond Dogs?

It's ok, he definitely meant Diamond Dogs.

Not that guy, but Station to Station is fucking great.

I'm one of those dudes but honestly, I've been in a three way split for like three years for #1 between Station to Station, Diamond Dogs, and Low. Station to Station has everything in sound and feel to make it my favorite, but Diamond Dogs has a special place in my heart as the one to make me love Bowie and being my exact kind of thing while loving the sound of it. Low's somewhere similar.

Young Americans should have been a double album, by the way.

try 1. Outside

you should listen to david bowie

What are major tom songs please?

Space Oddity and Ashes to Ashes, directly. Both great songs, on any "Best of" collection. Directly and beautifully pair together.

If you want to get spicy and interpret it with the video, Blackstar sort of counts.

Space Oddity
Ashes to Ashes
Hallo Spaceboy
New Killer Star
Blackstar

Thanks

Space Oddity->Ashes to Ashes and then dead Major Tom in the Blackstar video.

>Hallo Spaceboy
explain

Literally just "Spaceboy" and if you take the godawful remix into the canon, they do directly say Major Tom.

That's the most stretchin' it version to get Major Tom songs though, I only really count Space Oddity, Ashes to Ashes, and sort of Blackstar and that's already pushing it.

I wonder if you could make an argument to shove "Fall Dog Bombs the Moon" in there. I mean, it's got a moon.

This is exactly what I did after hearing a few tracks I liked, listened to all 27 albums (including tin machine) one a day for 27 days, was a really incredible experience seeing the progression of an artist over basically 40 years in 30 days

Listen to the discography backwards ( in order)

David Live - All the Young Dudes
youtube.com/watch?v=9SnYNAxgrjo

Young Americans - Right
youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtp1tvpkBk

Scary Monsters - Teenage Wildlife
youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhd_qhIr2g

Alladin Sane - Panic In Detroit
youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0fmqWS-kI

Low - An New Career in a New Town
youtube.com/watch?v=JhZqsYkl1zI

Stage - Soul Love (Live 1978)
youtube.com/watch?v=R4beFFtIb1k

Diamond Dogs - Sweet Thing / Candidate / Sweet Thing (reprise)
youtube.com/watch?v=vrfc8c6VkTA

Lodger - Fantastic Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=JnrAb9YtwEA

Low - Warszawa live
youtube.com/watch?v=qpL1IokHH5Y

I commend you for putting together a really unconventional but really strong starter pack that requires a lot of listening. Good job.

Bowie's Brecht songs are the most underrared in his discography after Jesus of Suburbia.

teenage wildlife is so so good. probably my fave of his. even better when you find out its basically a diss track towards gary numan

I really love his voice in it.

Both his highly rated compilations did this. Changesonebowie chronologically and Nothing Has Changed reverse-chronologically.

thanks for the kind responses bowie buddies. I would be dead without David's music.

Baal EP feels like his farewell to his theatrical roots.

you too friend. Here let me ask you what do you think of Black Tie White noise and specifically his cover of scott walker's "nite flights"

youtube.com/watch?v=eL03lUj89oY

also bonus little heart warming message from walker to bowie

youtube.com/watch?v=V01oQ_BsX00

youtube.com/watch?v=Phh_J9k-EUs

The question is first live or recorded, and then if it was better by Bowie or Morrison? Odd two major artists went out with it, as influential as Brecht is.

That's true and it's fascinating

Agreed

No problem. Bowie's music has been with me literally my entire life even if I didn't know it, part of what made me really look into his music. I literally search "Bowie" every time I reload Sup Forums.

EP? Is that just how you refer to it or was there something I actually missed? I've seen the actual broadcast play, but never heard of an EP.

Here's an underrated song. I'm glad it became what it was over this, but I still wish this had been it on there somewhere, really fits the ethic of the album if not the mood.

youtube.com/watch?v=8LvPLxZVQDQ

And I'll repeat, Young Americans should have been a double album.

forgot pointless pic

Black Tie White Noise is amazing. I've always thought of it as the beginning of 'Fuck off, I'm gonna do what I want' Bowie

I'm a huge fan of Scott Walker so I love both versions, but I greatly prefer Scott's version if I'm being honest. And I love that clip of Scott's b'day messge to David, both geniuses and one-of-a-kind gentlemen.

spiders from mars and blackstar are usually what I stick too. Hunky dory is nice as well

I've never seen the entire broadcast. I was just happy to hear him being back at Brecht.

I prefer the recorded version. It has less glam and more feeling.

The EP was actually released. Not sure if it gets rereleased. Would make a great companion piece for No Plan EP.

Well, fuck me. I was going to link it, but they've removed all of the versions on Youtube. Feels like we've seen the end of the Wild West of the internet and we're living to see the foundation of the FBI.

Well, it's good if you find it. His use of the lighting pads was central and brilliant for both Isolar tours and I want to use a similar design for something some time.

I also prefer the recorded version. I can appreciate the glam at times, and the fact he sung that fucking song to a live audience who screamed for it. But the recording preserved the mad energy much better.

I've found that it was an EP, never was rereleased I guess. I wonder if that'll be on the next run of the vinyls; I superbly doubt that, though. They should make it all more available; there's clearly a reason he did it and it's sad that there doesn't seem to be a readily available way to look at it anymore.

>I literally search "Bowie" every time I reload Sup Forums.

same thing here, its great finding people that appreciate him and his music as much as I do

If you haven't listened to a Bowie album before, I would say Ziggy Stardust, then Hunky Dory

youtube.com/watch?v=IWm03wYBTbM&list=PLzyn5WlOPcwovx22loSI5iv7d7j7khc1s

From his humble beginnings as David Jones up to Young Americans is GOAT. With the exception of the 1983 album Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture Soundtrack, anything after Young Americans is for fans/completists only.

>being this wrong

Station to station is easily his greatest album. One reason i think that its the bowie prototype. Its a good average of all the different styles he has. You get the r&bof young americans, hard rock of the ziggy years, experimental low, heroes type stuff in the title track and general use of guitar walls of sound and then you get slow ballads too. Plus its only 6 songs. Its completely untainted by filler and probably the only bowie album that lacks filler or a mediocre track. Testament to that is that every song on the album bat the 10 minute title track has been a single. Full of great songs.

honestly this