Punk Essentials?

I am wanting to listen to punk music to get a feel for the genre, and I was wondering if there are any albums that anyone would consider "essential"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ARQ24K2fO64
youtube.com/watch?v=WxfhW-HPDVA&t=586s
youtube.com/watch?v=tNVdziest58&t=1695s
youtube.com/watch?v=JytO0DFxzis&t=19s
youtube.com/watch?v=ujrva0tiTqc
youtube.com/watch?v=q61fOUrOuo4
youtube.com/watch?v=4vJdmXb8aM4
youtube.com/watch?v=v7ZiwhDAo04
youtube.com/watch?v=bucVwI0RfEg
youtube.com/watch?v=7Poka07yKnU
youtube.com/watch?v=8jxKvb61jYE
youtube.com/watch?v=0XdLbbt0d5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=tNVdziest58
youtube.com/watch?v=3Xahvg7-iJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=LWLkoN8Zai8
youtube.com/watch?v=YhwW4kUQrqk
youtube.com/watch?v=zE8LfB6-QTw
youtube.com/watch?v=eYjBTiB9fN0
youtube.com/watch?v=zfB43tjxB64
youtube.com/watch?v=Leax63ullPE&list=PLB98D62461E59C398
youtube.com/watch?v=fBKsM53_Ptk
youtube.com/watch?v=7xYHzC_yYTk
youtube.com/watch?v=g3MehtgiKnY
youtube.com/watch?v=edQF1ktiWgk
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3x5G9UmJOM
youtube.com/watch?v=GtHe4bc4q70
youtube.com/watch?v=XbOe7ua6IUY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCagrRM-YTI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fresh fruit for rotten vegetables

Minor Threat - Discography
Black Flag- Damaged
The Jesus Lizard - Shot
Nomeansno - Wrong

punk is great if you love the whole anti establishment thing and hate capitalism. it's like the nihilistic outcry against the fascist corporate takeover. anyways, here are some album I consider 'essential'.

youtube.com/watch?v=ARQ24K2fO64

quite a few screeching weasel albums, actually. they're all pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=WxfhW-HPDVA&t=586s

youtube.com/watch?v=tNVdziest58&t=1695s

listen to the whole thing, it's p great.

youtube.com/watch?v=JytO0DFxzis&t=19s

amazing album, also listen to more of descendants. good luck man

This is all REAL punk, not 90s edgy Warped tour shit nor 90s pop punk

youtube.com/watch?v=ujrva0tiTqc

youtube.com/watch?v=q61fOUrOuo4

youtube.com/watch?v=4vJdmXb8aM4

youtube.com/watch?v=v7ZiwhDAo04

youtube.com/watch?v=bucVwI0RfEg

youtube.com/watch?v=7Poka07yKnU

youtube.com/watch?v=8jxKvb61jYE

youtube.com/watch?v=0XdLbbt0d5Y

youtube.com/watch?v=3Xahvg7-iJ4

youtube.com/watch?v=LWLkoN8Zai8

what kind of punk

Rocket From The Crypt are so underrated.

Just download everything you can find by Death Side.
youtube.com/watch?v=YhwW4kUQrqk

You won't find a better Iron Maiden worship punk band.

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters / In God We Trust Inc
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Bad Brains - Bad Brains

youtube.com/watch?v=zE8LfB6-QTw

if they hadn't had a springsteen/50s r&r horn section that got them mistaken for 90s skapunk, they wouldve been the biggest altrock band of the 90s. bigger than weezer and foo fighters.

the damned
1st ramones
search & destroy

& Rocket from the TOMBS not rocket from the crypy, holy shit

damaged
earth ad
minor threat
bad brains

youtube.com/watch?v=eYjBTiB9fN0
middle class is 70s punk band. they kind of predicted the whole hardcore thing. their later LP is a staple of postpunk

youtube.com/watch?v=zfB43tjxB64
rocket from the tombs. godfathers of the cleveland scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=Leax63ullPE&list=PLB98D62461E59C398
pere ubu. another cleveland band, but these guys were the more artsy side of it. a couple members from rocket from the tombs

youtube.com/watch?v=fBKsM53_Ptk
big boys. austin TX punk band. one of my favorites ever. sometimes arguably not even a punk band. but theyre intense

youtube.com/watch?v=7xYHzC_yYTk
minutemen. so called sister band of the big boys. funky and techy as fuck

wires first album basically predicts every major direction that punk rock was going to go over the next few decades.

youtube.com/watch?v=g3MehtgiKnY
husker dus first album is fucking relentless. those boys ate a lot of amphetamine at this point and it shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=edQF1ktiWgk
angry samoans are just dumb, offensive punk rock. fuckin great

youtube.com/watch?v=Y3x5G9UmJOM
gotta love the damned. they dressed like vampires, so goth rock fags are all about em. but the music is just plain old awesome punk rock

youtube.com/watch?v=GtHe4bc4q70
newer punk band from indiana. they dont play anymore, but when i played with them i lost my shit. the band leader has a new band called CCTV thats even better in my opinion.
youtube.com/watch?v=XbOe7ua6IUY

youtube.com/watch?v=ZCagrRM-YTI
hank wood and the hammerheads. another newer punk band you should definitely go see while theyre still around. use to play with these guys all the time, they were tons of fun. great dudes to let sleep on your floor. then they went and got uber famous and tour the world now. im stoked for em. great guys, and they work really hard

rocket from the crypt's output blows rocket from the tombs away.

saying rocket from the tombs is better than rocket from the crypt is like saying jan and dean is better than the beach boys.

of course none of this shit is "essential". but theyre all cool bands that i never see gettin any love on Sup Forums

did rocket from the crypts bring punk rock to the desolate, barren, industrial wasteland that is cleveland in the early 70s, and ultimately inspire decades of solid ass punk rock in the general area, thus securing cleveland as a city where you can still go see a solid punk rock multiple times a week? thought not...

reatards - teenage hate
misfits - STATIC STATIC STATIC age

rocket from the crypt, john reis in particular, has inspired more bands music than rocket from the tombs. you could say the dead boys or pere ubu influenced many bands or were essential. op asked for essential "albums" which rocket from the tombs doesnt have.

meh i just gotta start bitching when you tell me some fucking shitty ska band is better than my favorite shitty punk rock band. i fucking cant stand rocket from the crypts, and i wish i could. one of my buddies tried to show me em way back when and i hated it. cant really see me getting into em now either.

and as far as the midwest/cleveland scene goes, rocket from the tombs is way more "essential" to folks around there. you can still hear their influence in bands around there today.

like i said, i wasnt trying to give him "essentials", i was just trying to signalboost some bands i dont see getting talked about a whole lot on here. i havent been on Sup Forums in a couple years, but i remember how awful the punk rock threads were back in like 2011/12. its like no one on the whole site listened to punk. glad to see it turning around, atleast in that respect

thanks for putting the time into this - minutemen aside these are all new to me.

There's an embarrassing lack of Fear - The Record and Fuck World Trade. Also, y'all may hate me but The Stooges were OG punk. So give Fun House a spin.

Make sure to check out the Screamers, they get overlooked because they have no studio albums.
122 Hours of Fear is the tits.

Although this album is mostly forgotten, one should give this a listen. The lead singer/guitar player not only started Twin-Tone records, which gave the world Soul Asylum and The Replacements, he was also Bob Mould's guitar teacher. Don't know who Bob Mould is? Check out post , and pay close attention to the Husker Du video.

Sorry but you lost me at Bikini Kill, and London Calling. Other then that 98% of the videos you posted are top rate.

Another band that's almost been forgotten, but also essential.

The age range goes from 12-15 years of age when they were together back in 1977, but they're just as essential and important as all the well known bands at the time.

These Aussies played a very important roll in the 1977 punk scene. Some music newspaper in England called the title track single "The single of the week, and every week". They had two more albums after that, but they didn't quite sound like this one, and were forgotten. I never heard the third album, but the second one, Eternally Yours is just as good as I'm Stranded, although a bit different. This album is a winner from start to finish.

Imagine if Syd Barrett actually stayed with Pink Floyd, and they decided to jump on the punk band wagon. It's something like that but 1000x better! This is the band that gave the world Robyn Hitchcock. Their next two albums, Underwater Moonlight, and Invisible Hits would take on a more decidedly psychedelic power pop feel but still retaining a punk sensibility. Even The Circle Jerks covered I Wanna Destroy you, but A Can of Bees is their most punk album. Forget the Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd reference! Forget what Robyn Hitchcock became. Listen to this record and judge for yourself.

If you like Eater, you might enjoy this band as well.