rateyourmusic.com/release/album/frank-zappa/london-symphony-orchestra-vol-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/-zappa/london-symphony-orchestra-vol-ii/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/boulez-conducts-zappa/the-perfect-stranger-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/frank-zappa/civilization-phaze-iii/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nothing

If I remember right, he wasn't trained. He was self taught.
And what happened was he realized that composers didn't make money for dirt.

>500+ albums
>less than 20 great songs in his entire discography

yea, he wasn't trained. he actually I don't think even trained himself. he learned how to write music on the staff, but was not interested in learning harmony, counterpoint, form, etc.

Nothing, he made classical music too and Pierre Boulez of all people conducted his works.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/zappa-and-ensemble-modern/the-yellow-shark-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/frank-zappa/london-symphony-orchestra-vol-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/-zappa/london-symphony-orchestra-vol-ii/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/boulez-conducts-zappa/the-perfect-stranger-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/frank-zappa/civilization-phaze-iii/

Try again.

>20
More great songs than nearly any other musician

>"Well I like a lot of jazz and classical and rock and avant garde music, but I'm too lazy to actually put in the time and dedication to fully understand and get good at any of those genres, so I'll just take the most basic aspects of them all and jam them together, whether it works well or not!"

"But Frank, what if it doesn't sound good??"

>"Oh don't worry about that. I'll do it all with a smug, sarcastic attitude and ironic detachment so that if anybody ever calls me out on it I can just pretend it's all a big joke!"

Pretty much, and considering he was an workaholic, his method was basically trial and error.

He basically spent all the money he would get from his shitty pop albums like You Know What You Is to get these made, I'd assume Boulez didn't do it for free.

>(You)

You do realize that orchestras don't even show up to rehearsals without being paid? And why should a conductor work for free? Why aren't these people eligible for compensation for their work? You're making it all seem negative. Trial and error, yeah... That's how you get Pierre Boulez of all people to conduct your work.

>You Know What You Is
ffs it took me such a long time to forget about that record and now it's in my head again.

I'm sure everyone believes you without a single source.

He had one hit single from that album by accident. It's not like he was a pop star. Not to mention that he started composing orchestral music at 14.

>less than 20 great songs in his entire discography
How can you even begin to pretend there's an objective method of determining this for any musician at all?

>You Know What You Is
Are you retarded?

>made FUN OF rock instead
ftfy

Imagine a world where Zappa only had like 12 albums but they were all fantastic.

That's what you can do for all artists, imagine. Taste isn't objective.

Hot Rats > The Mothers of Invention > The rest of Zappa's solo discography.

I just meant that if you have the money it's not that much of a big deal to have your pieces played by great performers.

Still, he profited from his pop albums, but he said he would get no profit from the London Symphony Orchestra one.

>In a way, that's how I got into the rock 'n' roll business. I hadn't even tried to write a rock 'n' roll thing until I was 21 years old. All the rest or the music that I had been writing, from the time I was 14 until that time, had nothing to do with rock, jazz or anything else. I was writing strictly chamber or orchestra music and I could never get any of it played. So, I figured the only way I was going to get it played was to put my own band together and write for that band. Then, I found out it was not easy to find people who could read what I was writing and so I wound up doing things that were not exactly complicated but at least it was mine and got to hear the idea I had dreamed up.
- Down Beat, September 13, 1973

You Are What You Is (that's the title, cunt) was a rock album.
Zappa even said it was his quintessential rock album and was surprised by its low sales.

Which pop albums? In what possible world is anything other than the album you're fixated on a pop album?

pop as in not classical music.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
Oh, so every single one of these genres are just the same?

>Zappa even said it was his quintessential rock album and was surprised by its low sales.
You're right, I was thinking about Sheik Yerbouti. It sold moderately well and was released on his own label, so I assume it made him some money.

No, they're just not classical music, I didn't mean anything by that besides "not classical music".

>No, they're just not classical music, I didn't mean anything by that besides "not classical music".
Great, so why are you implying that all genres which are not classical music are somehow less worthy or are just there for nothing other than making profit? Classical musicians don't live off of sunlight.

>so why are you implying
I didn't, stop trolling me.

Zappa did all of his rock stuff in order to pay his bills and create his classical pieces.
Things like 'Valley Girl' and all that was great for his career.

>Stop trolling me
Interesting. Couldn't that be what you were doing this whole thread?