will they ever learn?

he did that?

he did it

damn

It's better than Pom pom imo

that'a very, very low bar

nice

Can somebody please post their opinion on it without 3 layers of """irony"""
I personally like it less than The Doldrums, Before Today or Pom Pom but more than any of his other works
7/10

Pom pom was amazing tho

I found it more enjoyable than pom pom and Mature Themes but behind everything else

>liking all of these more than Lover Boy, FF, or House Arrest

Christ

Okay I agree that House Arrest should be up there
But the other two?..

Maybe not FF, but definitely Lover Boy.

Lover Boy and House Arrest would be equal for me if Lover Boy was only a little more focused. Songs like Credit, Don't Talk To Strangers, Want Me are all quintessential Ariel, while song like New Trumpets of Time push further than just Ariel's "pop" side.

Just my opinion, tho.

Its not clear what using this same methodology to examine methods of communication and cultural deconstruction is doing in 2017 as opposed to what it was doing since he was last on the scene in a major way 7 years ago but it seems less relevant now. Around 2011 when he last released an album "hipster" culture of identity though unattachment was the norm. His embrace and examination of a cultural trend that might have easily been dismissed and ignored was refreshing and eye opening. His textbook post-irony feels less relevant now where figures like Donald Trump are being completely straightforward with their language and messages all while seeming completely absurd and ridiculous. A sort of new relationship to language where irony once was the way of critiquing structural norms became the norm in itself and honesty and straightforward language became the refreshing alternative. Within music culture vaporwave which sort of rose and fell from power within the interim of this release and the last added a lot to the same concepts Pink and his 00s contemporaries were involved in but pushed it to the extremes in an aesthetic that felt more relevant to a generation whose relationship to the past was mediated though the internet rather than their parents audio and video cassette tape collections. Something his 00s hypnagogic pop contemporary James Ferraro seems to have kept his nose on sociopolitical philosophical shifts much more effectively throughout the decade to remain relevant in cultural critique. Thats not to say this album is useless or bad. Pink has proven himself to be a strong musician who continues to make catchy, fun pop jams. However he seems to have lost some of his edge and his finger seems to have fallen slightly away from the pulse of current cultural ideology.

I remember New Trumpets of Time blowing me away the first time I listened through Loverboy
Great song

what the shit

I respect your passion

AOTY

wow

He was a tinseltown trannayy!

He's actually spot on

amazingly shit

ariel pink sucks and his stuff is, at best, throwaway pop filler. He's all style (or should I say a e s t h e t i c) and no substance. yawn. Go check out R Stevie Moore, it's the same shit except not boring or a ripoff

>and ridiculous. A sort of new
thats fucking horseshit

n i c e

Could someone who likes this album please explain why? It just did nothing for me.

this is a pasta from a review for john maus

Nah it's a good album

when will newfags realize name dropping r stevie moore in ariel threads doesn't validate your shit opinions? amateur uninspired assessment/bait for the new AP record 1/10.

lol I didn't listen to the new one because I know it's gonna sound just like the old ones because ariel's a hack

not namedropping, just suggesting you go straight to the source instead of getting a watered down version

One of my least favorite albums from him but still a pretty decent album. Either it catches on or it doesnt

AOTY

thats like telling r stevie moore fans to listen to the beatles. yeah we already did that,

Christgau?

I think it's good, not great. I'm also an Ariel Pink newbie: I heard Pom Pom once back when it came out, but I was too simple-minded back then to appreciate whatever it could have had. I remember really not liking it, though.

DTBJ to me has two great tracks, two really good tracks, and then the rest ranges from meh-to cringe (Santa). Feels Like Heaven is gorgeously melancholy & cozy like plenty of The Cure's stuff, which I know Ariel loves. Bubblegum Dreams is the other one I think is great, Death Patrol and Kitchen Witch are the 'really good's, and the title track + Time To Meet Your God are pretty fun as well.

After hearing DTBJ I started going through his albums, though. Here's how I rank all of his ones that I've heard so far:

"FF>>" ≥ DTBJ > Worn Copy >>> Scared Famous ≥ Thrash & Burn > House Arrest > The Doldrums

I've seen a lot of Ariel Pink fans saying Doldrums is one of his best, but man...I just don't hear it.

I saw ariel live couple years ago when pom pom came out, shit was lit.

going to see him this november am very hyped again.

I think a case could be made for Loverboy being his best album imo

Awesome. At first I was going in order with what was available on Apple Music, but now I downloaded the rest so I went back, still have to go and check out Underground, Lover Boy and Oddities Sodomies Vol. 1 before heading into the hi-er fi stuff from Before Today & on

Is his album with Holy Shit worth checking out, as well?

>R Stevie Moore
gary wilson is better Tbh

Holy Shit is a really solid record, if you enjoyed FF you'll probably like it. Oddities is definitely worth a listen with tracks like I Wanna Be Young, Suicide Notice and Crying being huge standouts in his whole discography

i
agree

ariel pink wasn't good until pom pom
if you disagree, you're a pleb

LINK PLS

did you listen to before today

use the archive maybe?

There´s a leak from august. Is it legit?

yeah it leaked in july

TINSELTOWN TRANN-AY

fuck

It's legit but not full quality also :/ Not a huge problem on Ariel releases, but if that's what you're looking for then I haven't seen a 320 mega

Yeah, I´m looking forward for something in that matter

pom pom is a classic
this shit is okay

before today>dtbj>mature themes>doldrums>house arrest>pom pom>worn copy>scared famous

just when i thought someone wrote a good post on mu. is nothing sacred?