Psychology graduate AMA

Psychology graduate AMA

How does that make you feel?

Why do I wanna fuck dead girls?

>psychoLOGy

Ratio of boys to girls in your 3rd year class?

Feels good man

You are just a perversely sick man

1.5/10

Thx doc! I'd pay you $300/hour

Deal. I'll provide you with therapeutic corpses for each session

Why do American psychologists make so many wrong diagnosis? Not trying to be offensive, just trying to understand stadistics.

Human psychology is so diverse and complex that there's no "one ring to rule them all", plus the US has medicalized mental health so much so that anything that goes beyond the tiny winy parameters set for what the consensus believe is the "normal" is considered an illness, so many many people is diagnosed with anything from HDAD to neurosis on the basis of being an outcast

By the way many consider psychology an art, not a science (myself included) so the diagnosis can't never possibly be 100% objective

What do you think about weed?

Thinking of pursuing a degree in psychology. What bullshit can I expect?

Why do people use Sup Forums?

Don't do it. It's boring and nothing like you would expect.

That seems like a well researched and thought out position that I'm sure is defensible.

>No fMRI's here lol
>probably thinks Freud and Jung are still considered contemporary.

A very noble substance (disclosure: myself an occasional user but not an advocate, many Sup Forumstards use it)

Be ready to choke down 4 years of grad school if you want to use it for anything interesting beyond HR departments.

In what ways is it nothing like I'd expect?
I've always been interested in psychology and am undergoing therapy to work through my abusive childhood. I'd like to help people with some kind of authority behind me, even if not formally.

Reading a lot of old crap, in fact reading a lot, but fun overall, if you go the clinical psychology path it will be tiresome, listening to people's crap is demanding

Yes, I understand that part, we are very complex, especially in our minds. I think that the DSM-IV and V still needs more adjustments to better diagnosis and to improve treatment to people. Thank you for response. Excuse my rude English, it's not my mother language.

By that last sentence I mean that I'd like some kind of credentials to feel like I can offer authoritative knowledge, while not necessarily aiming to be a certified practitioner or whatever.

I´ve heard, that it can be hard to keep relationships when you know all the ''flaws''? and can read the person.

Can I order a large french fri with my burger?

But anyways what was your post-college dream job. I honestly wouldn't see myself doing work other than manipulating human behavior which isn't bad.

In many college majors you need to be in the top 10% to do what you want afterwards.

People is on average perverse but social etiquette doesn't allow for people to vent freely, so an anonymous all-permissible (almost) forum will attract many people, many fucked up people too I must add

im 18 but i think about death everyday and im very scared of it. WHy?

OP here, TRUE hahaha but no seriously you could do more than that (although many people end doing just that)

Im going through some pretty shitty depression/anxiety. Im taking 20mg of prozac daily. Why the fuck can't i just calm the fuck down & be my old self again? Do i have a serious mental illness? >Inb4 anhero

Well in college you find that a lot of people in the Psychology path goes in there because falsely believes that by studying psychology they will be able to help themselves, which is totally false, you must do what everybody has to do, going to therapy.

Well DSM is by far the masterpiece of the medicalization of mental health that in my humble opinion has happened to the US

Hahahaha! Now I'm considering myself offended, and requesting a satisfaction.

Was it fun wasting your college years on something worthless?

Fuckin hell nigga, you'd have been better off taking women's studies.

That's not what I'm saying, though. I'm already in therapy to help myself, but I would want to pursue psychology to be able to help others/the world (I know that's a cliche).

You'll never be able to "read" the person, that's totally false, even if you could, you can't use your psychology "superpowers" to objectivize your interaction so if you are truly committed to a relationship with someone you like, you'll be subject to the same irrational forces that govern the lay person, it doesn't matter how much do you know about psychology or shit

My dream job is research, we wouldn't be able to map unequivocally the mind or cure all the mental illness in the world, I'm a little more humble, to better understand the human mind

I've always wondered how prevalent this was, it seems like many psychologists went into the field because they are mentally unsound themselves in some way

How does it feel to be either:

a) a laughing stock in the sciences, at best classified as behavioralism for lack of a control on a subject matter that you yourself can’t define (e.g.: the mind)

b) be so utterly useless in the humanities that a good intro to philosophy class encompasses all the necessary logical approach necessary for work in your field at the graduate level?

Well if you want to understand more you could research "Death anxiety", some thinking is normal but if your thoughts are recurrent, intrusive or incapacitating you may be a victim of death anxiety, there are a lot of theories that try to explain why we feel that way, there's sadly no consensus about it. One of the positive views is that death fear is a galvanizing factor that helps you grow by pressuring you to do more in the face of existential annihilation

How does it feel to state your opinion on Psychology like it's a fact, only to have an A-level Psychology student be able to tell you're incorrect and have little-to-no subject matter knowledge...?

In other words:

>I don’t know, no one knows, but this is what I think. That’ll be $400 please. Feel free to talk for an hour while I doodle though.

Well there MAY be some physiological source to your anxiety, for example a neurotransmitter imbalance which MAY be due to a structural defect OR it MAY be just your personality, which makes you hypersensitive to many everyday nuances AND which MIGHT get better with psychotherapy but MAY not go away only with it

You could get it: 300/hour is the price now

A level? Underage b&

hahaha this is a comment that is omnipresent, there's always a Sup Forumstard who ask why you waste bla bla bla in XYZ, well the basic answer is (and I don't need a degree in psychology to provide it to you) is because I fucking want to

What's the biggest realization within psychology that's impacted you the most?

Fantastic actually, considering you’re employing the same strategy I did, except I made no claims about myself.

Unfortunately, since you made claims, that renders you a hypocrite. Failure to arrive at this conclusion renders you incompetent. Being incompetent contradicts your claim on “A-level psychologist” (whatever the fuck that means, I’ll assume you’re thinking it’s a thing).

Needless to say, you’re definitely a psychology major. Stupid, and oblivious to it.

Your pic- at least Archer gets shit done, unlike every psychologist EVER in their utter failure to win a single nobel prize IN PSYCHOLOGY.

Well I think pursuing this will be more easily to you since you have a personal motivation to do so, plus you may enjoy doing it and even discovering that some things you feel are normal and acceptable, and more importantly temporal

OP here, totally true many of my colleagues are totally fucked up, but may be they will be able to make it work, who knows

why is everybody so fucking stupid, why do i want to fuck lolis, and why do i enjoy the suffering of others

Because you like it user, and it pleases you.

Like Hume said, while shitting on Kant’s methodical savant-like retarded explanations on how and why we should do things:

>we are slaves to our passions

And there ain’t nothing wrong with that.

Unless you’re a faggot tranny trying to get people to accept you as a woman.

OP HERE! hahaha that's the point my friend, this is psychology, not even particle physics is nowadays so compressible even for scientist, if ANY psychologist tell you that he can explain to you with 100% certainty that an X process of a mind is this or that, shes lying and obviously you're a fucking retard for believing it.

Richard Feynman famously implied: If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics

The same for psychology

That there's no "cure" for non-structural non-physiological illness, because even that can't be defined, plus in clinical psychology (not psychiatry) the one who does all the work is the patient not the therapist, the therapist is less than a guide

OP here, I concur

How do I know if Im a sociopath?

According to who? If you want to know according to the DSM you have to read the definition there, if you want to know according to the society, well you have to do some pretty nasty things and see if they label you, then you will be, it's called Labeling theory in deviance studies

How to deal with or get over derealisation (attacks)? Been suffering very bad of it since april, according to my therapist because of inmense anxiety but we still failed to start a propper treatment. Would really apriciate if you could help me, it is destroying my life.

Is there an IQ difference betweem blacks and whites? If so, why?

I sometimes get heart palpitations when I'm inside buildings that aren't my house, whenever I see or hear a heart beating, and when I see blood. Open spaces/the outside in general is fine, though. Just based off of that really general discription, should go see a psychologist? It seems a lot like agoraphobia to me, but I don't want to be a bother to my friends/family by going to a psychologist. It doesn't really effect my ability to live normally all that much, but it does scare the hell out of me when it happens. There are a couple of people in my family that have it, so I don't think being a bit concerned about it is unreasonable.

There are no good statistics for the inherent IQ of ethnic groups.