Jazz AOTY

2017 has been a great year for jazz. What are your favorite releases of the year?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKpE165_w&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=rtW1S5EbHgU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a few words on the tigran hamasyan album, please. i just now read about it.

something something bad cover art blah blah aesthetic

what did you think of chris thile and brad mehldau - s/t

I haven't heard it. I didn't make the chart.

Haven't heard it either

Matthias Müller, solo trombone
Pat Thomas & Orphy Robinson, 18.4.17
Brötzmann/Swell/Nilsson-Love, Live in Tel Aviv
Thollem|Mazurek, Blind curves and box canyons
Brötzmann/Leigh, Sex tape
Splitter Orchester/Felix Rubin, Shine on you crazy diagram
Alice Coltrane Luaka Bop comp
Nate Wooley Syllables comp
Ilan Volkov, 16.2.17
Fred Lonberg-Holm, Cabin cemetery forest
Roscoe Mitchell, Bells for the south side
The Necks, Unfold
Jaimie Branch, Fly or die
Shelter s/t
Steve Coleman, Morphogenesis
Eric Regis, Sing me some cry
Toxic, This is beautiful because we are beautiful people
Malaby/Maneri/Levin, New Artifacts
Colin Stetson, All this i do for glory
Nate Wooley, knknighgh
Pay Thomas, The elephant clock of Al Jazari
Lean Left, I forgot to breathe
Harriet Tubman, Araminta
Vijay Iyer, Far from over
Rob Mazurek, Chimeric stoned horn

This is what I've heard and bothered to return to at least a few times. The Müller and Thomas/Robinson are great; typically not a huge Brötzmann fan, but I really like the ongoing groups represented above. Still digesting a lot of what Astral Spirits has put out. Looking forward to more Vandermark and a collection of commissioned solos from Teddy Rankin-Parker that he promises will be available this year. Best performances I've seen this year are Zooid performing In for a penny, in for a pound and Vandermark/Mcphee/Alcorn

I'm pretty basic when it comes to jazz but I want to get into some modern artists.

My favorites are Monk, Eric Dolphy, Andrew Hill, and Joe Henderson. What modern artists should I start with?

Based on you mentioning pianists and saxophonists that were ahead of their time, strong improvisers, and strong composers, I would suggest Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, Ken Vandermark, and Steve Coleman. They've been around for awhile, but I believe at the forefront of the music as much as anyone else. If you want players just starting out or under 30, It's easier to find them via performance than recordings, so go outside

Sounds like you're into the blue note type stuff so you should look into criss cross. JTG shills them a bunch but a lot of it is actually pretty good and follows a similar blue note aesthetic in a lot of ways. some people might call it regressive or whatever but that's what makes it a great intro into some of the best contemporary players if you're into more classic jazz.

and here's the similar blue note chart so you can see kind of what corresponds to what

lol shit

Thanks. Any albums in particular you recommend from them?

Based. Thanks.

Iyer, Coleman, and Vandermark (Shelter) have albums represented here. Vandermark's massive Momentum 1: Stone from last year might be a better representative for him. Jason Moran has an album out this year too, BANGS, which I haven't heard but also features Mary Halvorson who is good as well; Jason Moran was also the premier piano from Henry Threadgill's Old locks and irregular verbs from last year. I would start there, see if you're interested in where these people are going

bumping
it's too bad modern jazz is so ignored on this board

All jazz is more or less ignored on Sup Forums so it's no surprise that current jazz would be too. It's pathetic.

Move side, Laurent Rochelle is here.

This is slant eyed appreciation website I'm not surprised Sup Forums is 50% invested to K-Pop and not a Southern US genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKpE165_w&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=rtW1S5EbHgU

>tfw kpop threads hit bump limit in less than an hour

what are the comfy, slow, sad even albums around here? doesnt have to be from 2017 but something somewhat contemporary

They're not really a thing. Most good albums will have a bit of a mix of fast and slow, soft and loud. Stop caring about albums and make yourself a playlist if you're in the mood for one very specific sound.