Trent thinks that the internet is destroying music and making it more digestable easy and peaceful for the mainstream...

Trent thinks that the internet is destroying music and making it more digestable easy and peaceful for the mainstream audience, because "anyone now can become a musical and get an instant response". Waddiya tink?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zsd5CMzpfys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's right, as usual.

> trent admits he is now an old man

stay mad, lightweight

Brian Eno thinks the internet is creating an explosion of music in niche communities like a densely populated rainforest brimming with new exotic species waiting to be discovered.

The Greeks also thought that writing poems down would destroy poetry

The truth is somewhere in-between these two views:

So.....does he have an alternative? What is it? "Stop listening to shit random unsigned shlubs people post online"?

I love the guy, but could he sound any more dinosaurish? Got the same feeling when I watched The Defiant Ones. Iovine was great for his time and the state of the recording industry in its RAPACIOUS heyday (they even joked about how hilarious it was, overcharging everyone for CDs. "lolololol") but that shit is dead and done, and has been for almost 15 years now. It all ultimately came off as old dudes whining about what was.

Nah, 99% of the stuff on soundcloud is shit. I think we'll be alright, and natural selection will still weed the shit out.

Finding good stuff among all that crap will become more difficult, like finding meaningful signals among the noise.

Both are correct

Wtf I hate reznor now

Seriously though, how can he shit on underground communities when he came out of one? Is he now somehow superior to other artists? I'm starting to think he's becoming a cunt again, no wonder he signed a contract after decades of shitting on record companies.

>Champions internet as a great option for music
>nevermind it's too hard to self publish, turns out labels still want to sign me, internet is shit

It's quite a coincidence he suddenly holds these views after some of his worst works ever published.

where did he say this?

well if you want to make a living off music he is correct

he came out of an underground scene that wasn't on the internet, so I guess I can see where he's coming from. He's probably just jealous that all the new guys got discovered so easily.

Lol this fucking composer doesn't even understand that people just youtube his music while studying

>2000: Trent says that downloading music and music on the internet is ruining the industry. People are stealing from hard working musicians
>2007: Trent says that record labels are out. Trent says you NEED to give your music away for free. Dont sign with labels says Trent. Says the internet is making it easy for talented people to do their thing without a giant record deal
>2013: Its Ten bucks or FUCK OFF. REEEE I NEVER WANTED TO BE THE DIY POSTERBOY (except he totally did)
>Now: The internet is destroying music because people arent paying attention to me anymore.
Why is he such a faggot? I hate how people like him and Thom Yorke only decided to weigh in on music industry greed once they werent making as much money as they used to. They never said a damn thing in the 90s. They were part of that greed. They knew what people were paying for their music, and they still stuck with the label for years and years and took the paycheck. A bunch of grown babies that cant stand by their shit.

You talking about the last two EP's? I thought they were some of his best especially an improvement on hesitation marks

What, NTAE and AD kicks ass.
And OP simplified what Trent was saying.
He admits that the fact we can access so much music is cool, but it also makes albums "fade away" much faster, hence why he is now trying to go for the EP route.

By the way, why is Trent pretending like The Slip was never for free? It isn't mentioned in NIN.COM in the discography page for The Slip and the website where you could get The Slip for free is down.

finally someone recognises the bait

>anyone now can become a musical
what?

STOP MAKING MUSIC

to be fair we hardly have people walking around that can recite hours of significant cultural 'myth' for either entertainment nor ceremony

>the greeks were right
>mfw

Well, to be honest, the music business is so full, you need fucking recommandations to send your fucking youtube or soundcloud links and even then, they might just throw it away or they might reply "i want to be surprised"...
It is not internet that is "destroying" the industry, it is simply the next logical phase. Now that we know physical albums won't last, and that we know people don't want to just buy albums on iTunes or shit like that; maybe it would be time for the industry to realise what the next phase is.
Bowie predicted that music will be free on internet, but instead concerts, web shows or whatever, will become again the main revenue of musicians.

i guess he mistyped and wanted to say "a musician"...but that wouldn't be true really.

Trent hasn't done anything good since The Downward Spiral. He should sit down and shut up.

The fragile was pretty good imo, but yeah after that it's hard to like a full album.

You have just a shit taste, especially if you think that even The Fragile isn't good. It's arguably his best work, runner up for that would be Year Zero and Hesitation Marks and his amazing recent two EPs.
Don't forget about his soundtrack work which earned him a fucking oscar.
Yeah, he may be an asshole, but a talented one.

Has he ever been wrong about anything in his life?

His soundtracks with Atticus are actually much better than what he did in a long time, especially that horrible Ghosts album which was bunch of loops that could have been a track.

Hesitation Marks and EPs are amazing in my opinion.
Ghosts has a lot of amazing songs about it, it isn't just loops, right from the get go the first track is amazing, but it can be boring for some, it was an experiment more than anything else.
His soundtrack work is really kick-ass though.

He thought David Bowie had more time.

how about when he became an executive with Beats Music and Apple and tried to make 100 million dollars, was the internet bad then?

One aspect of music nowadays is the anonymity. Probably the last ten records I've been into, I have no idea who was behind them.

And Staceys listening to Spotify on their phones just listen to a random playlists without knowing anything about the artist or genre or anything

Blah that's just lazy listening...not everyone is like that. I don't see your point anyway.

My point is there's more of a disconnect between musician and listener now which is 'cause of internet and probably the computerisation of music

I think there have been definite complications and challenges with the internet, but I think that we've been readjusting to the new ecosystem and once we have a footing in it there will be more leverage with which to go bigger and harder.

Well maybe people just listen to music and stop getting impressed or oriented by stardom or what people tell them to listen to. It's all randomized.
I'm thinking though that maybe it's the way it should be. Surely there is a way for musicians to make money though.

Well, music is an art form, is it not? Those with enough mental capacity to appreciate it will. If not, tell those normies to fuck off!

>>anyone now can become a musical

HM and Add Violence. Probably two of his worst albums in his whole discography, maybe sans Ghosts.

What do you mean disconnect? I would say its the other way around, since you can interact with most musicians on the internet nowadays.

Fantano is that you?

>HM and Add Violence. Probably two of his worst albums in his whole discography
Hell no. They are fucking amazing. But plebs only want the agressive NIN, even though Trent has proven he excels at music in general, not just angery music, he is still fucking excellent at it, but if he were to limit himself to that NIN woudl be worse for it.

Well he's fucking wrong and obviously doesn't know what's happening right now.

what do you mean? I think he's right on that

Interaction doesn't happen on the internet.

No, HM is really just a very very boring, mostly by the book EBM album. I wouldn't mind another PHM, but he just doesn't have.it in him anymore, it sounds like most EBM albums that come up any given year.

And Add Violence is not bad, just pretty bland. The last track is especially dumb.

this is a complex topic. I feel like the way most people listen to music has become "bad" because it's so convenient and accessible that it completely loses its charm and magic. And there's so much stuff that people won't spend a long time listening to one thing because they can just listen to whatever else instantly. And no one seems to have a solution for this

>No, HM is really just a very very boring, mostly by the book EBM album
The album is entertaining as fuck and better than the overrated Pretty Hate Machine could ever be.
Just songs like "In Two, All Time Low, Copy Of A, Various Methods Of Escape" beat up entirety of Pretty Hate Machine.
Add Violence is even better with This Isn't The Place being a top track.
The Background World is a pleb filter.

He actually didn't say that, at least not how you're posting it. You altered it, but damn if this board will check anything.

apple computers is taking away all the music
and not giving anyone shit for it they stole a shit load of my songs and I havent gotten a dime

I am Lorn

>pleb filter

You mean the track where Trent found put about Alvin Lucier about 30 years too late and thought it's the coolest thing in the world?

Go listen to any random new EBM and you will most likely get the exact same amounts of originality as in HM. After years of listening to EBM and quitting because the genre has become the same shit HM just put the nail on it for me.

>I wouldn't mind another PHM,
I would, luckilly, HM isn't that and even isn't trying to be that, it is much more of a complex album.

>the nail

Gave someone a cd of stuff ages ago and well Found it on youtube
half the shit they said I made isnt even mine

I'm not comparing HM to PHM, I'm saying I dotn want "just aggressive NIN"

does anyone watch my videos?
how the fuck did apple get ahold of them?
LORN is to know not to be not to be blind and to think not to have no feelings no emotions and be driven

New NIN lyrics? God, he got predictable...

I am not from the UK either nor am I an American
I do not have a recording contract
this is a total theft
and thats why I am posting in this thread trent reznor

It does, tho? I've talked to a lot of musicians over the net, and then there's twitter and reddit which are still interaction, albeit limited

fuck you, Snape

Because Taylor Swift and Rihanna are eating out of dumpsters, right?

basically speaking everyone who uses an apple computer buys apple products and thinks they are awesome fucking shit suck their own cocks to spite everyone
yup the word of the day is to shit suck a cock
head like a hole black as your asshole Id fuck you in the ass til your dead like the trolls
BOW DOWN BEFORE THE ONEZ YOU SERVE
SUCK COCK UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE
GOD MONEY.....

fuck you trent reznor GOD OF INDUSTRIAL MUSIC
this came before your shit

youtube.com/watch?v=Zsd5CMzpfys

Death Grips is relatively popular. I wouldn't say it's easy and peaceful, even though they exist, largely because of the internet.

>Implying poetry isn't dead

Trent is a glorified pop musician so cares.

this and only this

>They never said a damn thing in the 90s.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of the post but Reznors frustration with record labels in the 90s is well known, he even included fuck you messages in at least one album aimed at the label executives.

Wasn't Broken partly about Steve Gottlieb and TVT?

Reminder that Trent is the Apple of music

>Wasn't Broken partly about Steve Gottlieb and TVT?
>partly about Steve Gottlieb and TVT?
>partly

After PHM NIN "toured relentlessly" so Broken could get released under the table. It was basically an edgy outbreak against the whole thing. Trent just disguised it in metaphors.

His music is great, but this is just drivel coming from a rich pretentious douchebag who wants to feel special because he made it before it became "easy"