Avant-Garde Thread

I am a big fan of the album TMR and was wondering where the hell I go next for something similar.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-6vpC1yD28&t=85s
youtube.com/watch?v=MDq9YHcIip0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wild Man Fischer - An Evening With Wild Man Fischer pretty good place to go next. Although it's a lot more sparse in terms of instrumentation.

Check out the other Scaruffi-core: Robert Wyatt, Faust, etc. Also listen to Tago Mago and Tom Waits' album The Black Rider if you haven't already

Have you listened to Lick My Decals Off, Baby and Mirror Man?

Yeah, I have listened to most of Beefheart's discography

Good shit man. I'd actually never heard Wild Man Fischer until that dude earlier posted him and I'm really digging the album so far. I've also been listening to Can's Delay 1968 lately and you might dig that. I dunno what else to rec that isn't obvious. Is there anything in particular you like about the sound of TMR that you'd like to hear more of?

Hell Yeah! That's some good avant-garde!

I really enjoyed how the music just fucks around, I am looking for something with similar instrumentals. Also a backstory of soybeans and mental deterioration helps.

If you haven't definitely check out Faust's first album, it has that exact same sorta feel for me. It's mentioned so often with TMR it feels repetitive but if you haven't heard it check out The Shagg's Philosophy of the World too.

I realized while going through my library to throw recs at you that my whole knowledge of this type of music is just Scaruffi-core. Does anyone have any recs of this sorts stuff that isn't in Scaruffi's top 25?

For something directly similar to TMR check out the band Old Time Relijun
some no wave type bands sound kinda similar, Lounge Lizards for example
Good portion of jazzcore outfits like, Naked City can get a similar feel as well, Naked City especially so since it has an equally manic singer in EYE

i remember a thread like this a while back and someone said Storm and Stress. I wouldn't call it super similar to TMR, but i reallyed enjoyed S&S (both of their albums)

I will check em out later tonight

Moondog

youtube.com/watch?v=2-6vpC1yD28&t=85s

All of Mooney's vocal offerings are pretty insane and sporadic, kinda like TMR. Even though Suzuki has the more eclectic reputation, his delivery is pretty chill

someone else said Robert Wyatt so also Soft Machine, Pere Ubu, Fred Frith, Sun Ra

and This Heat

youtube.com/watch?v=MDq9YHcIip0

Nurse With Wound has some pretty nice stuff that goes less into industrial and more into avant-garde

I listened to Tim Buckley's Starsailor for the first time recently, and the crazed vocals and unpredictable song structures reminded me of beefheart. Richard Dawson's Peasant is also an off-kilter album in a good way