What do you do to help a friend with gender dysphoria...

What do you do to help a friend with gender dysphoria? He wants to transition and I want to be supportive but it feels wrong because it's a mental illness. Telling him flat-out that I think it's wrong sounds terrible, but I can't personally relate to whatever struggle these sorts of people have, so I don't have much to go on to begin with. Sorry if the topic is a bit too Reddit-y for you, but I don't like posting on other websites.

I dunno man, that's tough. I definitely agree with you that its a mental illness. I think that anyone who's honest with themselves would say that. As for what to do? No clue.

Don't encourage this bullshit tell this nigga to get off all of those leftist websites he clearly goes on, just slowly red pill him

Thanks for taking the time to write anyway. I'm asking a question that I don't think can be solved easily, without hurting anyone, at least.
So any advice counts.

tell him to tell a doctor how he feels. They'll do the hard part.

I think you could introduce him to the statistics on people who go through with the operation. They have a RIDICULOUSLY high suicide rate post op. Very high percentage of regret post op. I know that Milo Yinnapolous has a video on the statistics...let me see if I can find that video or other stats. More to the point, use those statistics to build a meaningful conversation about getting some help and feeling comfortable in their own skin.

He probably won't react well to overt help so whatever you do, never give the impression that you're trying to change his mind.

Treat the situation like you would any other problem. Take the alcohol out of the alcoholic's house -- try to get your friend away from people and behaviors that encourage this feeling. Get his mind elsewhere, introduce him to a new hobby where his gender identity is completely irrelevant.

If your friend ever brings up the topic, listen and acknowledge what they say but don't add any input in the affirmative or negative, if they ask you for advice just say you don't know and subtly transition the conversation elsewhere.

Alcoholics don't want to hear you preach the joys of sobriety. Suicidal people don't want to think you're treating them different. Just don't allow them to feel emboldened about it.

Help them through it, it's a mental illness yes but it's only going to do more harm then it is good if they don't transition. They already most likely know it's a mental illness but don't see it as a reason why they're identity is invalid and neither should you.

This is as retarded as encouraging a schizo to talk to the voices in his head

>it's only going to do more harm then it is good if they don't transition
That's like saying it'll do a heroin addict more harm than good if you don't let him overdose.

Exactly! What a dumbass comment to make. Like...I cant even process the stupid.

That's what I'm afraid of. I've seen the stats. This person is already depressed as is, but he's convinced things will be so much better if the transition plays out like he wants it to. You know, looks pretty and all that.

Thanks for that. I'll keep that all at the back of my head when I talk to him.

I understand that that is how he feels, user. But the trouble is what shit can go wrong post-op, and I don't want to see him suffer through it. Maybe it'd be best to mind my own business and nod whenever he brings it up, but I don't have it in me,

I'd just be supportive and make sure he's aware that there's no turning back once he goes through with it so he can really think over if that's really what he wants. Too many people go through with it and regret it later and that's why you see the suicide rates for those people the way they are. Either way OP is a fag.

A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Gender dysphoria itself could technically be classified as a mental illness but "transgender" as an idea can't. Yes, it's a mental illness entirely though, I can admit that entirely. I myself am trans, however I don't get really stressed out about it, however I USED to and I think I can give you some help here.
1. Therapists. Before they go through with this or something like that, PLEASE make them consult a therapist. It's important to consult a therapist or something like that to even confirm they're actually transgender and not internally faking it.
2. Console them. On the chance they actually ARE transgender (and trust me, knowing the actual percentage of how many people ARE actually trans, its a very low chance. its only about a 2% chance rounding up, that's even lower than the percentage of homosexuals)

You can't really say it's wrong even if he actually IS trans, he can't really change it, his brain is going to be like that forever unless there's some weird super pill I don't have any knowledge about. I can understand how hard it is to try and help them, it's hard for me to help other people who I don't agree with. You did the right thing by seeking help.

Oh I will say though that I believe the transition does do a lot of good for some fags mental state but not all of them which is why they have to be 100% sure on it.

make him read that long-ass post someone keeps circulating here.

Some dude got his penis turned inside out and now he's depressed and regrets every decision that led to his transition

This shit is a little more permanent than a tattoo, so treat it with a little more thought and make an informed goddamn decision.

found it here

I have a friend that said he was dual gender. Meaning he could be a guy one moment or a girl another. I told him it was fucking stupid. We're still friends and he still feels that way.

this

Yeah, but that's just something he feels. There's no surgery involved or anything; it's just something he likes to identify as.

If he didn't find a girlfriend I'm sure he would have wanted surgery.

>only if it causes significant distress or disability
That's a cop-out user. Obviously it causes distress because if it didn't then it wouldn't be an issue.

The idea that you are "transgender" means you are uncomfortable with your gender image, that's the textbook definition of gender dysphoria. That's like saying bulimic people don't have body dysmorphia if their constant vomiting hasn't caused damage to their esophagus yet but the irrational idea that they are too fat isn't a disorder.

Tell your friend you identify as a mother rucking apache attack helicopter, so you're fully justify in bombing the shit out of brown people.

Yeah youre right, sorry slow night
I still believe its definitely a disorder, but its not really curable
still, best thing he can do rn is get a therapist to sort this out

Find the root of your friends issue. Typically, gender dysphoria is from someone not being comfortable with who they are. They cannot handle it, so they decide it must be that they should be the opposite sex. I struggled with the issue, I went to counseling and I'm really glad I didn't make a fool of myself. It was a little different in my case because I was born intersexed. However, I have a friend that recently transitioned. He looks like a joke now, he's going to probably kill himself or snap out of it soon.

Here.

Studies show that most people outgrow it, but unfortunately we live in a society that normalizes the behavior and people say things like "It's important to consult a therapist or something like that to even confirm they're actually transgender" instead of things like "it's entirely irrational altogether".

Man... if you really want to help and not to "heal" him, i'd suggest listening to his bullshit and comforting him, like you would with a girl i guess?

I use to be very against these kind of people but then I went to uni and I took some anthropology courses.

Gender (the way we behave) is defined by society. Through different societies gender had different roles and definitions. Some people consider sex to correlate with gender, which is a fine view point to have. But then there's the opposite way of thinking that your genitals don't define the way you behave, dress, etc.

I think a lot of people that are put off by the idea of transgenderism just hate the way people supporting it act ie (neon dyed hair, annoying voices, and retarded clothing).

But who the fuck cares if they're not harming anyone.

Traps are gay. If you tell him to go through with it don't cut off his penis. Those fake pussies are nasty. I'm not proof reading this.

I would heal him if I could, but I don't know how.

Society is the basis of humanity. Don't encourage these people by saying their opinion is 'okay'.