'Lo-Fi is an excuse for poor production and conveys little artistic message'

'Lo-Fi is an excuse for poor production and conveys little artistic message'
discus

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/yung-seinfeld/whats-the-deal-with-sunscreen
youtube.com/watch?v=SO_aZbYDz1o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

True. But it's also comfy, so I don't complain

It conveys the artistic message that you don't really care about your art. which some people value for some reason.

Do you think this album should be redone in the studio like teens of style?

That car seat headrest album sounds like garbage
Their latest lp sounds clean and nice
All because of good production not garbage low fi production

soundcloud.com/yung-seinfeld/whats-the-deal-with-sunscreen
Not true
This is genius for example

its sounds like 'garbage' on purpose. Will was like 6 albums in here and i'm pretty sure he ran this album through a tape recorder and shitty mic to create this effect

in all seriousness i enjoy what you posted, really sounds like cshr tho. yung seinfeld is a genius name

Creating something lo-fi while still making it sounds nice is in and of itself an act of talent and mixing. Finding the right equipment, and in some cases, actively affecting the recording to sound different for the sake of setting a mood/tone. It's just like using distorted guitars in rock and metal. A lot of sound engineering mastery can be put into distortion, is important for the aesthetic of the genre, and by no means implies that the actual underlying melody is inferior.

retard

yeah but we don't need a thread for that

OP didnt claim it to be their opinion
>discus

There are least two very legitimate reasons for utilizing a LoFi aesthetic, you dense fuck.

1. LoFi is a necessary result of not having the proper equipment to record properly. In this way, LoFi is a valuable way for artists to still produce and distribute music without having to hop through the sometimes incredibly expensive hoops of getting into a proper studio and recording in 'high definition'.

2. LoFi as an aesthetic allows artists to explore the potential timbres not usually included in 'high definition' recordings. Thus the trademark "comfy" quality of LoFi, which through analog equipment and live performance often evokes a personable and warm quality.

The true question for artists today is whether or not the LoFi aesthetic is appropriate for our material and political conditions. After all, it is very easy to pirate a DAW and high quality vsts without ever needing to record or play real instruments. To that end, analog equipment itself has become more and more expensive as time has gone on. It is actually often cheaper and easier for independent artists to explore the "high definition" potential of electronic artists. This is, I would argue at least in part, the reason for the incredible flourishing of microgenres within the electronic and dance music genres.

you fucking clods.

it's also about poverty and lack of opportunity and resources but the desire to express yourself being so strong you find a way

and what do we need a thread for? Kpop? at least this is actual music discussion

pls
make this song work with even average production and we'll talk:
>youtube.com/watch?v=SO_aZbYDz1o

i love lo-fi and this shit is awesome but it's too lo-fi. it's clipping too much. if it were somewhere between carseat headrest and king gizzard on the lo-fi-ness scale it'd be perfect.

"Music which sounds good is good music regardless of the techniques used to make it"
discuss

>'Lo-Fi is an excuse for poor production and conveys little artistic message'
Wrong. You have no idea the amount of work people put into making it sound lofi. I'm not going to dismiss the fact that some may use lofi as an excuse to be lazy, but those that do aren't probably good musicians anyway. Sometimes lofi just adds a certain touch to an album, a lot of people describe it as "comfy" and I agree. Thats why this Carseat Headrest album is my favorite. Will probably still put the same amount of "passion" into coming up with this album than he would've, or did, recording in HQ studio quality.

this album fucking sucks and i dont understand how you guys can listen to it

it's cute

Will Toledo's """Lo-Fi""" recordings made on his shitty macbook are an excuse for poor production (just like the reverb all over the album) and conveys no artistic message.
Using consumer grade tape technology or commercial grade analog for that matter has some merit since it gives a unique sound.

lo-fi is the new hi-fi faggot. recording in digital sounds really good if you actually get someone with talent to mix your shit. analog gear has gotten more expensive and using it to be "lo-fi" has resulted in being a nostalgia gimmick and aesthetic.

"all music is bad"
discuss

so fucking good.
thanks for posting this user.

what kind of music do you listen to? post more stuff like this?

"K-Pop is literal cancer"
discuss

I disagree, a lo-fi album is a miracle of musical talent. Despite the low budget equipment, the music still shines through. Production is--at least sometimes--an attempt to hide a mediocre song behind the novelty of expensive equipment. Everyone sounds kind of good with a Urei compressor and Nuemann u87, L2 mastering etc, but something recorded on 8-track tape machine (Primus The Brown Album for example) that still makes people care, is a really special thing. There's room for both, and I don't feel the need to make such a thing competitive. But so much modern music is just a showcase of expensive equipment (or worse, sample packs), rather than an interesting musical story.