How long does AM/FM radio have until the internet kills it off?

How long does AM/FM radio have until the internet kills it off?

Other urls found in this thread:

icecast.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_broadcasting#Bands_and_modes
tunein.com/radio/regions/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's actually going to be interesting to see what kid of a real effect streaming has on the music industry. Radio was really just advertising as radio playlists were basically decided by the record companies who paid the stations royalties but now that we have streaming that model just kind of gets thrown out the window, unless of course people just listen to internet radio or curated playlists, then that model just transfers over.

I can put submit my music to Soundrop or TuneCore and get it put on pretty much every major streaming service available to a worldwide audience. It isn't even nearly that easy to get on a local FM radio station.

Traditional radio is doomed.

it should have died with the wax cylinder

What about DAB? Will it ever take off?

Up up and away!

it's been dead for a while, only old people listen to the radio

I meant digital audio broadcasting

>frequency-based, range-limited radio stations

Why use DAB when there's IceCast, accessible from anywhere with internet access?

icecast.org/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_broadcasting#Bands_and_modes

>The US military has reserved L-Band in the USA only, blocking its use for other purposes in America, and the United States has reached an agreement with Canada to restrict L-Band DAB to terrestrial broadcast to avoid interference.

>interference

Dead on arrival.

Because DAB works just like regular radio: One big transmitter to provide for every receiver in range.
They're trying to push it here in the Netherlands, but no one is willing to buy a DAB radio. Pretty expensive stuff, while fm radios can be built with a paperclip and a piece of gum.

Toast. What benefit does that have when you can access practically every radio station in the world from a website?

tunein.com/radio/regions/

One time my computer broke so i literally dusted off an old radio i have in the closet. I couldnt stand it. I went from having the internet, having every song ever recorded at my finger tips, no commercials, complete control over when i could listen to nothing but the same katy perry song played over and over and over again in between 10 hours of commercials.
The only station that didnt make me go mad was some of the talk radio and the classical station.
Talk radio seems pretty fucking useless too when i can listen to joe rogan take bong rips and ponder the universe with no FCC breathing down his neck or commercial breaks.

I read somewhere once that radio is basically a zombie and if you took radios out of cars then it would pretty much be dead already

I carpool with a 23 year old girl to school every day. She's as normie as can be. I got news for you dude, radio is alive and well with the average person.

>talk radio seems pretty fucking useless too when i can listen to joe rogan take bong rips and ponder the universe with no FCC breathing down his neck or commercial breaks.

>Here's despacito for the 8th time in the last hour!
>But before that, a little commercial from one of our sponsors!
>D-D-D David's down-low car dealership *Horn sounds*
>Despacito starts
>You can hear the stacy host bickering in the background
>Song stops halfway through
>Stacy Host: I just wanted to say, we're getting a LOT of tweets from our fans here in L.A. requesting the following song, so here we go
>xxxTentacion

I wish this crapbox came with an aux port, I'm using an audio receiver but the quality is ass.

>Because DAB works just like regular radio: One big transmitter to provide for every receiver in range.

There is little benefit to justify the cost.

>it's a very obscure technology here in the western hemisphere, almost no one is aware of it and no sovereign countries use it
>you have to buy completely new hardware that supports it
>it has to be adopted on a country-by-country basis, where internet-based radio solutions are accessible virtually anywhere
>only a handful of smartphones support it
>it's already being fast outpaced by internet radio technologies
>adoption is moving at a snail's pace in a fast-moving world
>Norway has only this year started progressively switching off FM radio stations for DAB and hasn't completed it yet
>Switzerland and Denmark aren't switching off FM radio until the 2020s
>Canada has abandoned it

It would have been useful if they transitioned in the 00s, but at this point with more people on mobile LTE internet and personalized radio than DAB, what chance do they have?

Jej

Just listen to silence

>AM
>no mention of DAB

Reminder Americans are literally third worlders who pay $30+ a month for limited, sub-4G data too, judging by what adverts show as good deals

usually rednecks, ghetto blacks or poor latinos

AM is most popular with those kinds of folks

Murika, clearchannel corporate crap in the air-waves

FM radio is going to be turned off in the UK by 2022, gonna be a sad fucking day for anyone who still can't pick up DAB, myself included.

Seriously, why is DAB such dogshit? At least we'll still have AM radio for stuff like Absolute.

Germany, Russia and 10 European nations turns off AM (or already have), except AM in southern or eastern Europe reaches Africa, Asia, Arabia or wherever under-developed.

And now you know why us Brits are so defensive about keeping the BBC advert free. It's not about Dr Who or any of that tripe, it's all for Radio 2 and Radio 4. Also this goddess of Friday nights on Radio 1.

Fuck, no more random French AM stations on the beach for me then.

>radio
>not listening to Apple Music streams in your car

>feeding the silicon valley Jews

You can pray my analogue tech from my cold dead hands.

>feeding the silicon valley Jews

You can pry my analogue tech from my cold dead hands.

I have very fond memories of listening to Michael Savage and playing my DS after high school circa 07-08. If I ever become musically talented my band will be the Red Diaper Doper Babies and we'll do bad Judas Priest and Metallica covers

>wasting mobile connection data

I mean, you lot got Steve Wright, that's not really a point in your favor.

>want to use Spotify because of its rich features and nice, stable desktop client
>but I hate how social it is and I'm already stuck in Google Play
what do I do? stick with Google Play or try Spotify for a while?