How's the songwriting going anons?

How's the songwriting going anons?

What is your process like? Do you write in a DAW, or on an instrument, or both? Do you start with lyrics first? Do you write alone, with a partner, or in a group?

please respond

anyone?

i freestyle like a patrician

My process is to write about ten seconds worth of material and then procrastinate for several years until I write another ten second piece.

I stay up until 3 am every night and write whatever drivel comes to mind. I go over it the next day and change anything I don't like, then finish it. I've done this every night for about a month and hopefully can have enough lyrics to work towards an EP with.

I don't really write music, I just fuck around until I find something I like and try my damnedest to remember what did.
But maybe some musicians ITT can help me, specifically guitar players.
How do I adopt different styles of music into my playstyle? I'm self taught, and most of my music is kind of a weird mix of thrash metal and blues, I've only ever really learned power chords and 3 actual chords, how do I learn other styles of music? If mainly for the purpose of just being able to fuck around with different styles and come up with some new shit?

I have this guy who's like the Lennon to my McCartney. I write well alone but when we're together the stuff just flows out, it's so effortless. We're always on the same wave-length, we have all the same favorite acts. I was really fortunate to meet and befriend this guy in school. I imagine meeting someone you have that much in common with is a lot harder after.

Learn some new songs. Different genres use different styles, techniques, etc...
Now you could go in and look at those genres and what makes them unique but you can get more out of just learning some songs in those genres.

Did you fuck him yet?

For the solo project that I'm in, I start songs in Ableton. I'll map out the basic structure of the track and run the program using a controller. Once I get everything in place, I'll add my live guitar and synth overtop of the background ableton tracks.

Nah, was I supposed to? Did I miss my opening?

You really fucked up. Then you would have both been one and unlocked the patrician way to write music.

All of my songs come to me as visions. Almost like auditory hallucinations. Then I try to play what I hear in my mind. And a little bit of improvisation and a few riffs I might have noodled out earlier to fill in the blanks. But it mainly comes from the aether of the universe, I feel more like a vessel in the writing process than an actual creator.

I try not to cover people's songs. Copying some shit off a tablature is fine and all but as soon as you learn one song that you like that other people like, people try and give you the most casual shit to request and it gets annoying.

>oh, user, do you know hotel California?
>Do enter sandman
>Play holy wars
>Play raining blood

It gets really annoying. I take my shit outside sometimes if you're going to ask why people do that. I don't play for anyone except myself, i just want to have a broader range of genres of music to play

So you subscribe to the theory that John and Paul were secret lovers and the reason Paul hates Yoko was John loved her more than him? There's no way they wrote all that music without diddling eachother like Theban hoplites.

I meditate on the impermanence of the material world for 12 weeks while tripping off acid, peyote, psyilosybin, and DMT. Then I have tantric sex for 72 hours with 7 beautiful women. After that I smoke 1 oz of prime dabs out of a crystal rig. I then meditate for 2 additional hours. I finally begin writing and it takes about 10 minutes for me to compose the deepest, most meaningful music you have ever heard. But it's really easy because of all the preparation that goes into it.

Having a few songs to cover as a band that you all like can be fun. But I agree that most should be original.

They actually likely wrote their parts of the songs separately.
I Gotta Feelin' for example can be traced back to two separate songs written by the two separately.

Later on that's how they worked. Up until Help! they were eyeball to eyeball

No I meant learning those songs for the sake of seeing what makes those songs sound like they do. I'm not asking you perform them for anyone.
Maybe it's because I'm speaking from personal experience but as soon as I began to learn more songs it became easier for me to recognize patterns in music that give off pleasant sounds. Then in the future I'm able to better piece together and write music with the help of those patterns that I then twist or alter.
Also covering music is the easiest way to make it. It's annoying but people love that shit, I made a shit ton of money in high school as a classic rock cover band.

I mean when you spend all your time with someone it doesn't hurt to fuck them. It just adds on to the relationship.