I know Pink Floyd is considered dadrock but is it wrong if I like some of there albums, especially pic related?

I know Pink Floyd is considered dadrock but is it wrong if I like some of there albums, especially pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pmtWExgQYs4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>being this insecure

>is it wrong to like good music
gee idk
>Animals
Is an awful album though, get some taste

okay OP you have a choice

either blindly follow this user like you follow the rest of em

or fucking think for yourself

>Animals Is an awful album
Are your ears broken my man, my dude?

>>Animals
>Is an awful album
wew i remember when i was 13

>liking good music?
>what bad advice
Stop
t. non musician

op don't let stereotypes define your musical taste pink floyd is awesome

Dadrock isn't a bad thing, don't take Sup Forums so seriously. 60s/70s music is much better then 90% of what's being made these days.

don't even know what you're trying to say

You sound like an idiot

animals is 13 year old core. easy listening "progressive" rock music with generic society hierarchy message

A dose of dadrock is great once in a while.

That's all of Floyd, why are you listening to them if you hate their sound?

definitely not piper or saucerful

Piper - Syd makes nursery rhymes for acid junkies, incorporates blues rock with that new modern (1967) sound.
Saucerful - Same concept but with comic books, and no Syd (he guest stars). Its a lot more ambient and spacey.
More - It has "The Nile Song" on it, its a soundtrack to a film about heroin
Ummagumma - Half live, half studio weirdness. Each member has a track
AHM - Side A is a really cool orchestral piece and side B isn't even worth sleeping through
Meddle - Side A is good enough to be a thing, and side B is meddle which is one of their best suites/songs in general
More - Another soundtrack, but nobody cares about the films of the French. Song titles are kind of funny and that's about it
Dark Side - Their most accessible, either start from Piper or start here. Its got all the prog tricks and all sorts of studio magic to get even the most cynical of producers to raise an eyebrow
WYWH - More prog wankery with "RIP Syd" undertones, the suite on this is split in half and put at the beginning and end, surrounding three songs that are better than the fillers on meddle and ahm
Animals - Its like 1984 the album. Haha charade you are. Its the one this guy in the thread hates for some reason despite it being Floyd's most musically competent record.
The Wall - Rock opera. Its pretty good, but there's not much to say.
And that's it user
Pink Floyd never produced an album again, for example, the year 1983, or '87, or '94, or 2014, all these years were empty of a floyd release.
If you like Syd's album (Piper at the Gates of Dawn) check out his solo work. Same goes for Roger and The Wall, and David Gilmour and the albums that didn't get released in '87 and '94.

>Pink Floyd never produced an album again, for example, the year 1983, or '87, or '94, or 2014, all these years were empty of a floyd release.
Division Bell was decent.

Saucerful of Secrets is their best album.

In 20 years people will call DAMN dad rap because you're old and listen to old rap

listen to what you like, the label doesn't matter

>Animals - Its like 1984 the album.

No, it's like Animal Farm the album.... literally.

>60s/70s music is much better then 90% of what's being made these days

No it's not; 80% of music from the 60s-70s was garbage and you're only hearing the handful of masterpieces.

Animals is their only 10 you nigger.

>garbage
'60s and 70s pop was generic sure, but nothing compared to the trash being pushed to day. I'd take the Carpenters over Miley Cyrus. What was the XXXtentiation of the 70s?

I was just on a 1968 binge the other day and you'd be surprised how much mediocre, paint-by-numbers blues rock there was even from big name artists.

>I'd take the Carpenters over Miley Cyrus

I think 1985-90 was worse. Everyone succumbed to formulaic MTV garbage. Here, put on a lot of hairspray and get Desmond Child to write you a generic pop hit based on cliches. Even 70s veterans like Aerosmith sold themselves out.

dadrock can be great sometimes, pic related

Animals is certified trash. Every year I am forced to come back and explain this because you plebs never learn.

OFFICIAL PINK FLOYD POWER RANKINGS: REVISED 2017 EDITION

>NECTAR OF THE GODS TIER
-Saucerful of Secrets
-Ummagumma
-Atom Heart Mother

>CONNOISSEUR TIER
-Relics

>ÜBERMENSCH TIER
-Meddle
-Wish You Were Here

>PEDESTRIAN TIER
-Dark Side of the Moon
-The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

>UNTERMENSCH TIER
- The Division Bell
- Obscured by Clouds
- More
- Momentary Lapse of Reason
- Animals
- The Wall

>ROGER WATERS IS A HACK TIER
-The Final Cut

>is it wrong if I like some of there albums

Just by asking this question, you are a pleb and will forever be so.

The Carpenters were MOR mompop garbage, they didn't aim at the same audience Miley does, that's not a good comparison. Something like Adele would work better.

Animals [Columbia, 1977]

This has its share of obvious moments. But I can only assume that those who accuse this band of repetitious cynicism are stuck in such a cynical rut themselves that a piece of well-constructed political program music--how did we used to say it?--puts them uptight. Lyrical, ugly, and rousing, all in the right places. B+

Smoke a joint and listen to it. Then you might understand. yeah gimme that DUDE WEED LMAO.

Boy OP have you fallen down the prog rabbit hole yet? Most of it is considered "dadrock" but that doesnt keep it from being fantastic. While youre at it, listen to some Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, (old) Genesis, or Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=pmtWExgQYs4

All 70s prog albums have to be listened to in a beanbag while smoking a joint to get the proper feel for them.

>dad rock
The battle cry of faggots that believe the "youth revolution" marketing campaigns.

This unironically. I smoke regularly and own way too many prog records, but nothing beats shooting yourself into space and listening closely to some of the more technical stuff, especially if youre a musician yourself.

>British groups in the 70s-80s
>sing about things that actually matter like the decay of society
>American groups in the 70s-80s
>Yeaahhh gimme a big-titted slag rock and roll all night

Not garbage like Kansas though.

Of course, there's thousands of records released back then no one remembers. But compare them to the thousands of records released today that no one remembers and even the bad ones seem good.

Shouldn't you be on Reddit participating in a Queen thread now?

Fact: le wrong generation > le right generation every time.

Do you ever stop to consider that the change in culture and context (not to mention technology and self-release platforms) in which music is released might actually have an effect on the ratio of good music to bad music ?

This is one of my favorite albums, it flows perfectly and doesn't really have a bad moment on it. Way better than DSOTM imo.

No you autist listen to what you fucking want.

Meddle, Animals, and WYWH are the only floyd animals I really like. Rest range from shit to mediocre.

Shouldn't you be in a random 00's indie band thread that you think is the greatest ever because they copy Queen?

This is true, problem is with an artist from the 70s, you can look back at their entire career and whatever influence they had while you can't quite do that with current artists.

Who gives a shit, even if it were? There is plenty of dadrock kino, and Steely Dan pumped out a lion's share.

No it's like The I'm So Original Fuck Capitalism Album, Version 25733

Orwell was about criticizing Totalitarial Communism, Waters was about criticizing Capitalism. Two completely polar opposites. They just share similar symbols for different ideas.

I can get behind this ranking for the most part, except put the Wall, Division Bell, and Animals in Pedestrian

I love The Nile Song even with the absolutely generic blues lyrics.

If you have to take a smoke to like an album, it's probably not good in the first place.

Also DUDE, but that's beside the point.

You exist today. This means that you have the chance to click a button, play the oodles of good music from the 60's, then click another button and listen to the great music of today. If you were in your twenties during the 60's, you'd have to pay for a record any time you'd want to listen to something you like. And there's no AnCo, Joanna Newsom, Death Grips, or whatever other generic Sup Forumscore artist from today you listen to.

>If you were in your twenties during the 60's, you'd have to pay for a record any time you'd want to listen to something you like

And you'd need to rely on hacks like Christgau to tell you what music was good and what wasn't.

I'm not sure what you're babbling about.
>. If you were in your twenties during the 60's, you'd have to pay for a record any time you'd want to listen to something you like
I'm okay with that.
> there's no AnCo, Joanna Newsom, Death Grips, or whatever other generic Sup Forumscore artist from today you listen to.
I don't listen to any of those.

>you'd need to rely on hacks like Christgau to tell you what music was good and what wasn't.
No, I wouldn't. Stop projecting.

Go to your local thrift store and peruse the vinyl albums. It will open your eyes as to how much garbage there actually was in the 60s-70s. One hit wonder artists, bad country albums, Andy Williams Sings Christmas, etc.

t. Nu-male who thinks he is cool for listening to Death Grips and Radiohead

Kys

^This.

My uncle had something like 500 albums in the 70s, considering he bought most of them new and the average cost of an LP was around $7 back then...you do the math.

Dadrock, especially prog dadrock, is a pretty good genre

I've come to appreciate Led Zeppelin more after seeing what else was around back in that time and realized they're not at all overrated. A lot of artists, even well-known ones, couldn't consistently pull off entire albums of good songs. Often there'd be 1-2 good songs and nothing but filler in between.

am musician, can confirm that animals is the best pink floyd album

>le "early pink floyd is the best and i am so intelligent for not following popular opinion" meme

Even Waters and Gilmour have admitted the early albums were shit and they were little more than random noodling with no real songwriting or song structures.

Woke

>"early pink floyd is the best and i am so intelligent for not following popular opinion"
>Piper is in pedestrian tier
You need to fix your rhetoric, champ.

sorry im tired and not paying attention lmao

I don't remember Television or Talking Heads singing about that.

>but is it wrong if I like

you should fucking kill yourself because you even asked this

why the fuck would you actually care what Sup Forums thinks

either underage or incredibly naive, impressionable and stupid

>Yeaahhh gimme a big-titted slag rock and roll all night
Black Dog wasn't written by an American group, dude.

KILL YOURSELF, STUPID UNDERAGE.

No. Animals is the best Pink Floyd's Album

Relics isn't even an actual album.

>Ummagumma
nice meme

>not liking animals

This user has objectively shit taste. Probably because he fell for the postmodern meme.

>Not adding The Final Cut

Most underrated PF album desu. Final Cut is really good.

>Animals
>Last Good floyd record
>Early
What did he mean by this

Can we all agree that Roger Waters was PF's backbone and the best thing he did was solo?

>is it wrong to listen to music I enjoy?
No

> Calling Echoes Meddle
> Calling ObC More
> Thinking The Wall is good
> Not listing Final Cut
> Not listing Division Bell

Anons been sniffing glue and clearly knows fuck all.

june 1970

"alright boys, we got that session time booked, lets make some music for DADS!"

>Thinking The Wall isn't good

wew, we got a contrarian over here.

Considering in 1970, dads listened to Frank Sinatra or something.

I like my dad, he's a cool dude. What do you have against dads bro? Did your dad not love you enough?

which is why this retro labelling of music is stupid as hell, & that includes calling stuff "classic rock"

this
/thread

>X is considered dadrock but is it wrong if I like some of Y
I swear to god every time I think "maybe Sup Forums isn't the worst board in the universe" a huge faggot like you comes along and proves me wrong.

Filtered.

It has a tier by itself, what more do you want ?

All their stuff is varied and good, you just cant place piper with meddle or the division bell. Dogs is a top 5 song with echoes and shine on and has Gilmour's best guitar work

>rating floyd albums against each other
Even if broken down by era, there are too many that stand equal. Only momentary lapse in reason, which i enjoy, and endless river could be easily taken out

t. non musicians

Dude there are some amazing moments on animals.
>harmonies on dogs
>talkbox solo in pigs
>keyboard intro with bass on sheep

ive still never listened to animals because i hate the fucking beginning of pigs on a wing 1

hurr shitty generic strumming is no way to hook someone into an album

>being this vague

all music is generic notes and chord progressions with lyrics on various subjects relatable to the person listening