youtu.be/TdwIxzBnZaI?t=142
youtube.com/watch?v=bjzv1cTpUEk
youtu.be/iSgIfO4hF08
youtu.be/ZlsWb2IPwEY?t=384
youtube.com/watch?v=v_5H7HkyZ4w
blackmetalalliance.bandcamp.com/track/fuck-you-alt-right
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=9SkwiURolBU

Not that guy, but this isn't true at all. Sure, to those not used to it, atonal intervals all sound the same the exact same way someone who would be born around atonal intervals would feel that consonant intervals all sound the same. But that's just not true, and dissomeme bands explore more of the atonal intervals than non-disso bands do of consonant ones. This would be a better argument if the average non-disso typical black metal band didn't play 90% of their shit on the 7th to 10th frets on the guitar along with the open string. Not only that, the dissomemes also have the technical acumen to bring far more structural and rhythmic variety to the music as well. It all just takes more time getting used to compared to the more standard stuff that's easier to digest for most people.

What's the best black metal album from this decade?

Fourth for GOATland

youtu.be/pUVjxrbLpf0

>But that's just not true, and dissomeme bands explore more of the atonal intervals than non-disso bands do of consonant ones
I'm all about dissoshit and you can only do this a few times before it boils down to the same sound on different intervals. Imagine if someone were to design a functioning microtonal guitar (instead of those shitty experimental designs that are only partly microtonal and are impractical as fuck) and started writing riffs specifically for that guitar. At first it'd be all very new and interesting, but after a while it's just "let's see how many variations on the same technique I can come up with" and they all lose gravitas and end up sounding the same

youtu.be/TdwIxzBnZaI?t=142

Either this or Paracletus. Maybe Norron Livskund.

>Livskund
Livskunst*

Just listened to this. This is actually not bad thrash, but sounds like a literal tourist magnet. Basically thinly veiled pop

Oh I'm also partial to Murmuüre

youtube.com/watch?v=bjzv1cTpUEk

It's just Voivöd on cocaine

Not sure if this is the place to post, but Mastodon just dropped 3 new tracks.
youtu.be/iSgIfO4hF08

>Norron Livskunst
oh man I was so taken by that when it came out
brb listening now

ME
SPELLAR
SVART
METALL

There's so much guitar to process it's driving me crazy

what gave it away

>I'm all about dissoshit and you can only do this a few times before it boils down to the same sound on different intervals.
Same sound on different intervals isn't even close though. A root and flatted fifth or a root and flatted seventh interval both produce very different kinds of atonal/dissonant.
>let's see how many variations on the same technique
But it's very rarely the same technique. There's a very obvious, noticeable difference between DsO's Fas' hyperchaotic multi chord attack, Paracletus' more tame riffing style, Abyssal's much slower letting chords ring out style (or was it Adversarial? I can't remember), and Misthyrming's cold scandanavian metal inspired approach even though all of these work with atonal intervals. Same way a band like Mayhem and a band like Paysage will sound different despite using very similar set of consonant notes because of their own technique/approach to sound.

Insularum ny far

But you're talking about the exceptions I was talking about before. Most disso bands, even while exploring dissonance and its possibilities fall short and end up being bland and boring. And there's plenty of variation in the classics too. It's not all open strings and meandering between a tonic and a seventh back and forth

youtu.be/ZlsWb2IPwEY?t=384

LET THE WHITE MEN DIE

>Most disso bands, even while exploring dissonance and its possibilities fall short and end up being bland and boring.
This is the case for almost of any musical style though.

Yeah, that ends up being the concusion I always end up with. Not everyone can be winners, or we would be simply oversaturated and would end up just discarding everything

Posting some that I really like

a

mine negro

Don't listen to the anti-hype this is actually great!

Sounds like generic postpunk-influenced indie to me

Exclamation marks are automatically sarcastic

Aaaand thisrounds up what would be atop five so far for me personally.
Word. You mentioned Paracletus as well

Did you not care for BaN and/or Solefald?

Seconding this

This is the metal general.

memes aside this rocked my world
too bad their following works were steps down

MV3 didn't live up to expectations for me and I didn't care for the 777 trilogy either. That being said I still adore Ultima Thulee, MV1/2, and TWTF from BaN.

I haven't honestly listened to Solefald enough to make a valid opinion, but last time I listened to them, their approach to non-metal sections was more on the cheesy viking folk end which isn't my thing personally.

>re-listen to Ace of Spades
>love the punk beat part
>absolutely DISGUSTED by the rock n roll part
I hate 'old school rock n roll' so much

Only genuine tourists dislike Dimmu Borgir.

how do i train my ears for 10+ minute tracks pagan bm shit

Didn't care for MoRT or Odinist either? Also Solefald hasn't exactly dropped the viking influences but they've adopted influences from all over the place, including folk from non-european places. I think they're going through their second best creative stint. Surely it won't last.

Moonsorrow

Cry in bed while listening

Force them. Overdo it. Listen to pic related on repeat until you Stockholm syndrome those bitches into loving it.

You learn it's actually shit instead of tricking yourself into "liking" it.

FOR ANCELOT

MoRT isn't one I can bump whenever like those other ones I mentioned, but yeah I do listen to it here and there when I am in the mood for that kind of stuff. But every time I try to do Odinist, I just wanna listen to TWWTG instead.

Why is it that Melodic Black Metal can be melodic without losing the identity of Black Metal, while on the other hand Melodeath loses almost all identity of actual Death Metal

Odinist is odd in that it's got the best of both TWWTG and MoRT yet it's clearly below both.

Because black metal is already more based around melody than death metal

>while on the other hand Melodeath loses almost all identity of actual Death Metal
Early At The Gates
Arghoslent
Amorphis
Horrendous
*insert any non-Gothenburg melodic death metal band

Because all black metal is melodic. The thing is that being atonal is integral to DM identity, and what people say when they mean melodic is, more often than not, "noticeably tonal". When it's so tonal then the scales and chords have to branch out from very limited spots, which gives it that wanky, poppy feel to it that doesn't work with death metal but doesn't interfere with bm as long as the production and the atmosphere isn't sacrified. See: Dissection.

Because BM isn't inherently about aggression, shock and sudden change

>sudden change

>atonal
shouldn't that be 'dissonant'?

>Death metal … typically employs … minor keys or atonality, abrupt tempo, key, and time signature changes and chromatic chord progressions.

You've no idea what either means, do you
I thought you meant going from brutal death metal to electro-infused post-rock or something

Black metal is so very dead. It was doomed to be appropriated by the very people it sought to keep away from the very start. You are that person. If you were truly a black metaller at heart, you wouldn't be listening to black metal anymore. You'd be listening to nu metal. Nu metal is the savior that metal deserves. It is truly the logical conclusion to metal elitism.

I like music, not scenes.

You are a false, leave the hall.

I am the Hall

>b-but... well, ya see... black metal isn't so much a scene as a p-philosophy...

Who are you quoting?

melting sun was fucking nice

What he said: Listen to Kivenkantaja

why is Moonsorrow so good?

because songwriters equally versed in black metal, traditional folk, and movie/video game soundtracks

(You)

APOLOGIZE

because it makes their last output seem good?

who the fuck says output when describing an album?

it was the nicest way I could describe their last album

yeah you really impressed me

you didn't even listen to it fag
kill yourself

it's better than "excretion"

post some sad shit to make me cry to sleep

why didn't Dio put Holy Diver as the opening track? it has that slow buildup intro and it doesn't really work after a fast song like Stand Up and Shout finishes, it just feels out of place.

Who care he a skellington nao

when I want to cry myself to sleep I just listen to Current 93

not metal

I revisited Cryptopsy's Once Was Not recently for the first time in a while

It's such a frustrating album because it comes sooooooo close to being genuinely great. But it's terribly mastered, the guitars are basically bullied out of the mix by the drums. A lot of the riffs are just arhythmic wanking. The vocals mostly aren't even in time with the music, they're just randomly blurted out with no sense of timing.

Actually the arhythm of the album is its biggest flaw. I kind of get what they were trying to go for, a moer chaotic sound or something, but it just doesn't work. All the greatest Cryptopsy songs like Phobophile and Cold Hate Warm Blood have a very pronounced sense of rhythm, but a lot of the tracks on Once Was Not just feel totally random. And the songs with more conventional structures like Frantic Pace of Dying and Endless Cemetary are the best on the album.

What do you guys think of it

>post-Lord Worm Cryptopsy
into the trash it goes

but mastadon hasnt been good in forever and that just furthers the point

That was a Lord Worm album you fucking moron

>calling Lord Worm's last album "post-Lord Worm Cryptopsy"
What did you mean by this?

melting sun was great, just not the same and barely metal
fucking zoning out to Jade Fields has to be the most chill you can get

>it's an user makes a fool of himself episode

Fuck I always forget that he came back for this one...
Anyway outside of BMF and NSV, Cryptopsy never made anything really interesting
Whisper Supremacy had some cool moments though

I like the atonality of it desu. It's quite unique. They really should remaster it at some point though, like you said the guitars just get buried.

I don't think that's fair. The DiSalvo albums aren't that good and the less said about The Unspoken King the better but their self-titled album and The Book of Suffering are great.

Also I'd say being "interesting" is the one thing Once Was Not has going for it. There's a lot of free jazz elements in it, which is pretty unusual in any kind of metal music, even if it doesn't sound great in the end.

Post joke bands with quality tunes.
youtube.com/watch?v=v_5H7HkyZ4w

Dan Swanö > Hammerfall

Do we have a R I F F S chart?

If not, what are the albums we should have in it?

I'd start with these
>Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
>Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
>Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
>Sceptic - Pathetic Being

What would you add, /metal/?

>riffs
>Insomnium
wat

Pic related should be added, even if it's a hardcore album. Death Side is hands down the greatest Iron Maiden worship band ever and the guitarist Chelsea was a riff genius.

blackmetalalliance.bandcamp.com/track/fuck-you-alt-right

Is this the best lefties can do?

black metal is the most nu-male metal genre after sludge/stoner, this is an undeniable fact

i dont care about the politics of it, but fuck me the music and lyrics are awful regardless

What is your stance on occultism? Would you be ready to spend hundred of hours reading """"""obscure""""""" 2deep4u writings just so you can get DsO lyrics?