Why do foreigners watch American sports?

Why do foreigners watch American sports?

Basketball is pretty simple to understand and entertaining to watch.

You're going to tell me watching Gianni's rape Toronto on their home court wasn't entertaining as fuck.

they dont

This. Nothing ruins the comfiness of a NFL/NBA/MLB thread quite like seeing some poster from some foreign shithole saying anything about anything. The only exception is Canadians tbeh, they're American enough in culture that that don't feel like weirdos.

The NBA Finals and the Super Bowl get a decent number of overseas viewers, but in general the only foreigners who watch American sports are:

1. Canadians (obviously, since we share a basketball, baseball, and hockey league with them)
2. Mexicans (mainly football, basketball, and sometimes baseball)
3. Chinese (NBA)

It's not like American sports leagues have wide international appeal, the way the Premier League, La Liga, and to a lesser extent Serie A have.

Only MExicans and Canadians follow our sports to any significant extent. Yugoslavians and some Chinese care about the NBA, but not in a fully invested way.

>It's not like American sports leagues have wide international appeal, the way the Premier League, La Liga, and to a lesser extent Serie A have.
The NBA is extremely popular worldwide and probably draws more viewers than La Liga and Serie A.

>NHL
>American
Half the players are Canadian and it is the most nationally diverse sports league

That can't be true. El Clasico alone gets like 400 million viewers worldwide.

top fucking lel you can't possibly believe this

probably means on average

if people watch amerilard sports here they are generally laughed at and shunned for being fedora tipping retards

El Clasico is a different beast, it's like people tuning in for the Super Bowl, but the NBA is incredibly popular worldwide, I can assure you.

the 400 million was from a marketing thing by Barcelona and was "potential viewership"

a more reasonable estimate is around 150 mln

Canadians really don't count as "foreigners" by the implied parameters of this topic.

It's still probably the most followed American league by Europeans

>why do filthy peasants enjoy watching what life is like in the most luxurious country

wow really making me think here

half of america lives in a ghetto because half of america is either a nig or a spic

I don't follow basketball, but there's no doubt that the NBA is the most ''international'' of American leagues. You can find people following the league religiously in any continent.

t. Never been to Macau

Macau is quite literally the only positive legacy of Portuguese colonial history.

All Europeans or just Europeans from Partizan countries? I always assumed that it was only popular in Southern Europe and nowhere else.

BECAUSE THEY WARE BETTER
AND THE USA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

USA
USA
USA

>Southern Europe
you mean Eastern

soccer is the ultimate fedora sport though
>muh history
>muh thinking man's game
>muh globalism
>muh passion

No, I mean Balkan states, Greeece und Italia, and even Spain to some degree.

I watch sports to be entertained by extremely talented and skilled athletes competing.

The "pride in my home town" aspect never interested me. I'd rather watch the highest level of hockey (NHL) than my local league because the quality of the games is better.

Also handegg is a wonderful sport.

Are you talking about NBA or NHL?
Because I wouldn't think people watch hockey in these regions.

He was referring to the NHL. Those are basketball countries

NBA. Sorry for the confusion

>half of america is either a nig or a spic

Not really. We spics are 12% of the population. Nigs are 11%. So at most we're talking like one quarter of the population.

I enjoy watching superstars play like TB12, Steph and LBJ

But you're a bit of a loser, perhaps even a faggot, if you super follow American or English sports as an Aussie

try 30% and 18%

I only watch Hockey and Basketball, which are both Canadian sports.

Hispanics are quite a bit more than 12% of the population if you include those memelord, "white hispanics"

*also, there is a lot of overlap between blacks and spics. Remember that we have a lot of Dominicans over here, and the black latino population is growing dramatically because mexicans/dominicans/non-latino blacks grow up in the same shitty neighborhoods and hook up with each other.

Because they enjoy them dumbass

No, were aren't. Even the most optimistic estimates put us at 17% (and that includes people like Tony Romo who are hispanics in name only).

That's completely wrong.

Ignore the Argie. It's just another episode of "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY"

*No, we aren't

>teams owned by corporations or international businessmen
>comprised of players from around the nation and the world
>muh home team town
I don't understand how people can have an emotional connection to sports teams. National teams I understand because the players actually have to be from the country they're playing for.

Most watched American league by European country: (feel free to correct me, this is just my perception)

Austria - NHL
Belgium - NBA?
Bulgaria - NBA
Croatia - NBA
Czech Republic - NHL
Denmark - NHL?
Estonia - NHL
Finland - NHL
France - NBA
Germany - NBA
Greece - NBA
Hungary - NHL?
Iceland - NHL?
Ireland - ?
Italy - NBA
Latvia - NBA
Lithuania - NBA
Netherlands - ?
Norway - NHL
Poland - NBA
Portugal - NBA
Romania - NBA
Russia - NHL
Serbia - NBA
Slovakia - NHL
Slovenia - NBA
Spain - NBA
Sweden - NHL
Switzerland - NHL
Turkey - NBA
UK - NBA?

>European men tune in to watch big black men dunking balls into a hole.

wew. We just watch them collide into each other here.

Germans don't watch the NBA much from what I understand

I remember when Nowitzki won the Finals in 2011 there was a tiny celebration in a bar in his hometown but not much else

Interesting. I know basketball is popular in Spain, but I didn't know anyone in Portugal cared. In the UK, I think it's NFL, the NFL plays 2 regular season games in London every year and they always fill a 90,000-seat stadium.

Why is there always one guy who has to bring his fetish for black men into things?

There's no way Europeans actually follow the NBA, maybe the NEETs.
That shit is way too late even for us.

Yeah, I was a bit hesitant, I think it's not THAT popular over there - not even with Dirk, but it's probably still the most watched American league.

It's definitely the NFL in the UK, it's already started to enter normie culture in some cities and it's been very popular in universities for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a major sport within the next 10 years.

I said ''Most watched American league'', obviously not everyone can follow their American teams religiously

Is there a name for Australians who are obsessed with American culture?

please don't watch our league

yeah I don't know what else it would be, they certainly don't give a fuck about baseball or hockey, MAYBE football but even that I doubt

Maybe golf actually, Martin Kaymer is a damn fine golfer

>It's definitely the NFL in the UK
>it's already started to enter normie culture in some cities
>it's been very popular in universities for a long time.
>I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a major sport within the next 10 years.

>The United Kingdom of that entire post

noooooooo don't watch nfl
it's not cool or hip
nfl is for us stop watching it
london games were a mistake

they do?

Since the 90s Britain has just been a cultural colony of the US. If something is popular over there ameriboos will pick it up over here even if it makes no sense. Sad but just a fact of life.

Watch the Dream Team documentary.

They were like Gods in Europe.

This kek. I think we might the only country on Sup Forums who really dont want people following our sports. It ruins the sense of cultural isolation and obscurity that make our leagues comfy.

Stop watching our leagues, burn any relevant jerseys and go back to watching soccer pls. You're killing the exceptionalism meme

NHL is more popular than SML (finnish hockey league)
on weekends when most people have time to watch they have games that start at 20-22 european time.
during the week most people just watch highlights. the major sports news networks all create stories for every point made by a finn last night and people read those along the morning news.

>Since the 90s Britain has just been a cultural colony of the US

Shit and to think that for almost 200 years many here feared that our Anglophiles were doing the same to us. I seriously never knew that England (and the UK in general) had Ameriphiles.

yeah it's called being a fucking faggot

make them stop watching the nfl
you gave soccer to the world and it's terrific there is no need for nfl in england
pls

this is true and embarassing to be desu

even reflected in adult politics, not just teenager ameroboos

>I seriously never knew that England (and the UK in general) had Ameriphiles.

You really didn't know that? For christ's sake, Winston Churchill's mother was American.

>Netherlands
probably baseball, since we are apparently good in it.

And Woodrow Wilson mummy was from 'Inglin. What's your point?

Baseball is just part of our culture at this point. I got into American Football through Sup Forums. As for the NBA, it's very popular here (or at least certain players are) but I can't personally stand it until the conference finals. I've never really tried to watch hockey, every time I tune in it looks like a mess and I can't really understand shit.

When you go to games, you form connections with the fans around you.

Woodrow Wilson was a massive anglophile, you idiot.

sure and I enjoy going to at least one game a season but if I'm at home watching a game on a screen I'd rather just watch the highest level of competition

DR can watch our leagues
DR is based
my DR buddies are bros

Oh, we definitely do. MLB is obviously number 1, followed by the NBA. NFL is still niche and I honestly don't know anyone that watches hockey. American sports are made for TV so it's really easy to follow them desu.

I feel like Canada and hockey shouldn't even be included. The NHL was traditionally a Canadian league that the US took over, in the 1970s the league was 99% Canadian. Really surprised that the NBA exceeds the NFL in Britain, I would have thought that with the Wembley regular season games NFL would be the most popular American sport over there.

>every time I tune in it looks like a mess and I can't really understand shit.
here's what you need to know
>pucks to the net
>big bodies
>hustle
>net presence

I'm going to try and watch a full game. I've seen some good /hoc/ memes.

CHI

the 1st round of playoffs are happening right now so it's a good time to start

Your Caribbean colonies are good

Please watch our sport

no only DR can watch our sports
they are based
the dutch are the worst
no one likes the dutch

I watch mlels ,nflel and mlelb

I'm pretty sure that most foreigners who follow American sports purely follow their nation's players in our leagues, the Finns obsess over their NHL guys, Japanese obsess over Ichrio Suzuki and then sometimes other japs, Spainards love the Spanish NBA players, etc.

Hockey, basketball, and baseball are international sports, and the NHL, NBA and MLB are the highest levels of those sports, so it makes sense that foreigners would watch. Its the same as American soccer fans watching Champions League instead of MLS.

But watching the NFL makes you an Ameriboo and is kind of strange. I would really only expect it if you picked it up from Sup Forums

because they are fun

>baseball
>international
it's a very niche sport outside of North America (spics included), Asia and for some reason the Netherlands
hockey has a pretty limited audience too (only really popoular in Scandinavia and Russia outside of NA)

basketball is the only really international american sport and it's by far the most followed by foreigners

basketball is pretty popular here so naturally some people watch foreign teams too

>I would really only expect it if you picked it up from Sup Forums
This is pretty much how I picked it up, I just absorbed bits of it over the years and eventually decided to give it a try. I don't discuss it much on Sup Forums though, it still feels weird to talk about it with Americans.

Only the superb owl gets a mention here, we really don't care about your """""""sport""""""""

It surprises me too, but I suspect that more people like the culture surrounding the NBA with all the big name players etc than the sport itself. If you counted viewership for games the NFL would probably blow the NBA out of the water.

I've never watched a NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB match.

Baseball is international, Luigi. Japan, Korea, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Mexico. Those are all countries. The best players on my local MLB team have usually been foreigners. International doesn't mean worldwide, it means more than one country.

Lot of people stay up here to watch the NBA. That's pretty much it regarding American sports. My sports channels also show hockey (albeit european league, not nhl) and NFL, but neither seemed to entertain me.

It's the NBA, no one gives a fuck about sports from there either so it's not like the NBA has a huge following either. Germans generally didn't care about mavs winning, aside from a few ameriboos

Speak for yourself, I watch a whole lot of NBA. Bucks in 6 btw.

Hispanics can be white

White is a color

there are white hispanics, asians etc

just like there are nigger hispanics

are you this fucking dumb?

must suck to be dumb and fat

We like to watch sports entertainment from time to time.

i just cant because of the constant commercials, breaks, and general nonsense that has nothing to do with the sport being played

To gamble on them.

>hispanics
>white

lel, sure bro

> The NBA is extremely popular worldwide
Yes, it is.

>and probably draws more viewers than La Liga and Serie A.
Fuck off retard. Not even close. And NBA can only dream of the numbers ANY RM vs Barca in the finals.

A lot of Australians have started to watch the NBA in recent years, pathetic tbqhwy

I never see anyone at NBL games