Thoughts on pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk
youtube.com/watch?v=CXBiYFoHsOg
twitter.com/realalexjones/status/277968076950077441?lang=en
dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/45459
metal-fi.com/about-page/dynamic-range/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Criminally underrated by fags who need Reznor to make his music ANGERY. A perfect musical display anxiety induced depression

synth-pop for schoolshooters

I liked it. Only given it a few cursory listens though.

More like synthpop/electronica for suiciders

I don't get this meme, Trent's music was agressive from beginning to end, even Hesitation Marks has angry moments, like Everything and In Two, and he still raises his voice plenty of times in it, Hesitation Marks has pure raw emotional power and people seem to actually love it, I remember people calling it best since The Fragile and I would probably agree.
I Would For You's chorus is still powerful as it was four years ago when I first heard it.

They're usually the same ones who listen to Broken, TDS and The Fragile and dimiss everything else.Not uncommon to profess wishes Reznor died shortly after the Fragility tour.

Change is scary.

The Fragile is very different from what came before, if anything, The Fragile has much more common with Hesitation Marks rather than TDS.
I have no idea how people who complain about Trent not being angery like The Fragile, yeah, it has agressive song at its beginning, but the song that describes The Fragile musically as a whole would be "The Day The World Went Away", not "Somewhat Damaged". I mean, I can only imagine how crazy some fans were when they heard the title track of that album or "We're In This Together".
Trent Reznor gave up upon nostalgiafags and for a good reason, even when he genuinelly puts out an agressive record (which, most of the time he does), people act as if agression isn't there. (And even if a record isn't agressive doesn't make it bad anyway, Trent has prove from the past he doesn't have to relly on agression to make a good record).
Year Zero, The Slip, NTAE all have bad-ass agression, but people will act as if that isn't the case, because they really don't want to give this a chance and would rather worship coke addicted Trent who's scared shitless of how people perceive him rather than look at how much Trent has really progressed.
In the most recent interview he did with Kerrang he made it clear he doesn't care much what people think, and I think in the new EPs it let him experiment and release his best work to date, since he does whatever he really wants to.

Amazing record, no single bad track.
Whoever says this is Trent's happy album is someone who didn't listen properly.

I CAME BACK HAUNTEEEEEEEEED

I SURIVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVED

Unirronically one my my favourite Nails songs in his entire disography. Creepy and atmosphereic beat.

>tfw I always thought it was foot is deep not throat is deep, calling back the phrase foot in mouth for when Reznor said he was done with Nails.

IF I COULD BE SOMEBODY ELSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WELL I THINK I WOULD FOR YOUUUU

I just love how much energy that song has, it has amazing vocals, when that guitar comes in in the middle of the song I almost cream myself.

I'm alright
I'm okay.

Nothing ever
Stays the same.

Really good. Took some time to grow on me but now it's like my third favorite NIN album.

fuck yeah. the chorus fucking kills

an extremely manic sounding song. I love it.

>first single off The Fragile was The Day The World went Away

What a fucking madman.

>First single off the trilogy EPs was Burning Bright

Coming off Hesitation Marks, I would have expected Dear World to be the single. He keeps throwing curveballs

Or even She's Gone Away, yet he just decides to make the most innacessible song a single. I guess he felt like it was the best one

I didn't find it as emotionally stimulating as other NIN albums.
Wallpaper music.

I like it quite a lot. Even prefer it to the two new EPs.

She's Gone Away was a little too death march to be a single that would follow HM.

The Idea Of You would be a more likely candidate due to the Grohl factor.

These EP's are too good for their own good.

It's a brutal insight into personal anxiety and fear of relapsing back into what he once was.

i really like the power in reznor's voice on she's gone away, different from his usual whiny self. I hope he does more with that sort of raw deep energy

>whiny

that hasn't been a thing for quite some time. especially live.

Less Than was the perfect single and if you ask me, it is his best single, period, The amount of layers that song has, is crazy, it is also agressive yet has more substance than that. I can't stop listening to it.

And also realization that he cannot seperate himself from the coke addicted Trent, that person always will be him and he realizes this in "In Two".

>clap trap crack slap
nice

Havent heard it. I never liked the step sequenced, bitcrushed/sample rate reduced sound of the last couple albums. With Teeth still had roots in rock and roll, and linked to the past aggressiveness.

Why would I care about that?
I shouldn't have to know anything about the musician to feel something from the music itself.

With exception to YZ (and lesser extent TDS), literally all of Reznor's music has been a reflection of where he was at the time. For better or for worse, you have to know what's on his mind to get what he's doing in his non-composer work.

I've been watching Ken Burn's Vietnam War series. I swear quite a bit of Reznor's music on it is pulled out of The Fragile outtakes.

Trent and Atticus made a soundtrack for that as well, I also heard some other Trent's work like Social Network in places.

No I don't.
I can listen to TDS and the Fragile and feel the emotions conveyed without reading some biography beforehand.
It's fucking music, that's how it works.

been digging this song lately

youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk

I want to see NIN live some day, it looks like they put on a really good light show.

youtube.com/watch?v=CXBiYFoHsOg

Tension tour was a technical triumph.

Please tell me that picture is fake

It’s not
twitter.com/realalexjones/status/277968076950077441?lang=en

>One review said something sounded Pretty Hate Machineish, and all the young kids agreed.

I really hate the fucking world

I listened to it alot when it came out and even heard some of the songs live and really like it. It's annoying people write this album off for some reason yet rave about The Slip. All Time Low is a funky little ditty.

I prefer hesitation marks for sure. It has a lot more personality than the slip.

It's not Pretty Hate Machine-ish at all. It is a step forward but people are kinda retarded.
The Slip was pretty great, but Hesitation Marks was on a different level. All Time Low kicks so much ass

Honestly Hes is a advertisement for Logic Pro X and all Apple products.

>That time Reznor called out Prince for making shitty music and bragging so he went ahead and made the best Prince song released in 15 years.

I also get a lot of Bowie vibes, I bet the title itself is a Bowie reference

Just like any NIN record, asipe from The Slip, the level of detail are almost unbelivable, when you lay down and put down some good headphones, the things you hear you normally wouldn't notice just get to me.
I remember listening to All Time Low and suddenly noticing that at one point in the verses there are two layers of Trent vocals, one normal which you hear and then one hidden underneath which sings the lyrics in a very deep quiet tone.
I also really like honest the lyrics are, Various Methods Of Escape still gets to me.

Has its moments, not bad. The mastering is bad though. I would double dip if he gave it a better master.

The mastering is crystal clear. What.

You clearly don't know what mastering really is or what goes into it. Clarity has more to do with recording, mixing and EQ than anything else.

dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/45459

All right, beat me to it, I don't know much about this.
Is it related to the loudness war? I can see that this is from the infamous audiophile recording as well.
Is the problem that the music gets so loud that it distorts? Sorry, I really suck at this.

That's alright, it's mainly just related to over-use of tools such as compressors and peak limiters which results in increased playback loudness at the cost of dynamics in any given song. The problem isn't with these tools in themselves, but with their misuse and pushing them too far, which results in the loss of any subtlety or breathing room that a mix might have had before.

There's a short article here which explains it fairly clearly: metal-fi.com/about-page/dynamic-range/

Overall it just hurts any given recording to push the inherent loudness beyond a certain point, after which you start to actively degrade the point in having song structures or quiet-loud-quiet dynamics at all, because there's no longer any difference between the two. As some movie sound guy said; "If there is no quiet there is no loud." If everything is loud then nothing is loud.

Didn't mean to sperg out but I find this topic pretty interesting in any case.

who's the chick?

literally the best song on the album

That chorus that hits in is fucking great.

While I'm Still Here always brings a tear to my eye.

That is fucking gay.

Ya fooking gay mateeeeee

But being affected by music is not gay

In Two exists.

It is good, but I think Year Zero is better, as are the recent EPs

I Would For You exists. just for that drum beat.

And that chorus and that cut off build up of "AND I HAVE ONLY MYSELF TO BLAMEE----

Running freaks me out almost as much as Black Noise.

That song gives me a lot of urgency, it really feels like you are being chased.
Is it really that up-beat synth work tho? Maybe some, but most sound more "creepy" to me

This, I love NIN but this album is underwhelming and repetitive in song structure, Sup Forums is just on Trent's dick

I can do the same with Hesitation Marks tho.

Why do you need to ask Sup Forums when you can just look up Scruffy's opinion?

Scruffy's a hack.

What albums are similar to this?
in terms of sound.
specifically the synths on the first two songs.

some photographer who wanted to fuck trent and he agreed for a random ass photoshoot if i remember correctly.

I listen to it as a sequel to TDS, it perfectly works that way.
I feel like a lot of NIn records can be concept albums aside from TDS, With_Teeth's the same.

> Freddie Mercury - Everything as okay when he was around...

>Bowie was next to leave him

really good and one of the CDs I regret selling.

the genesis p'orridge remix is god tier

only autistic nerds care about that lmao the mastering's fine and fits the character of the record

appreciate your thoughts on that, user. been a fan a Trent for a while but I'm 23 and only delved into a handful of releases. Will consider this going into his newer works