I know this album is part of Sup Forums core and gets memed a lot, but I fail to find similar stuff...

I know this album is part of Sup Forums core and gets memed a lot, but I fail to find similar stuff. I've been looking into Don Caballero, Polvo and Unwound, but the are either too post-rock or not eerie enough. Can someone help me with this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dLuNLZZAGT4
youtube.com/watch?v=RljR5coSUNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NKtGTstVw
youtube.com/watch?v=_zTis6YqYJ0
youtu.be/ZSxJe2JWe70
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is peak of emotional honesty, which is why you won't find anything similar.

shellac: youtube.com/watch?v=dLuNLZZAGT4

albini produced spiderland and it definitely shows.

For carnation,June of 44,Rodan

youtube.com/watch?v=RljR5coSUNQ

thanks for the recs. I've listened to rusty by rodan but it feels too instrumental. will check out the rest

No he didn't, he produced Tweez. Spiderland was produced by Brian Paulson.

this is fact.

Try out other hardcore bands from the Louisville hardcore scene at the time.

I recommend Rodan and June of 44:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NKtGTstVw

youtube.com/watch?v=_zTis6YqYJ0

Listen to Indian summer and Shipping news, it hits kinda the same buttons as spiderland for me, specially this track
youtu.be/ZSxJe2JWe70

I never could get into these other Louisville bands for some reason

dude it's basically the first grunge record

I spent 3 months trying to find albums like it, listening to all the recommendations people give, as well as a ton of obscure shit nobody ever recommends in hopes of finding something.

I couldn't find it, I found a bunch of great music but I found no actual album like it.

Until I realized I hadn't looked in the most obvious place of them all. Brian McMahan's band "The For Carnation" and their self titled debut. It took multiple listens until I actually realized how much of a logical follow-up it is to Spiderland, how many similarities there are and how it ALMOST rivals it in quality. Brian is the band leader, but Britt did contribute to the band, he helped write the track "Being Held" and played the drums on it as well.

I have probably listened to TFC more than I have Spiderland by now, I still think Spiderland edges it out, but it is an incredible album. Slower, and quieter, not as explosively energetic and filled with teenage angst, more subdued and mature. Still though, the use of dynamics are as impressive if not more so.

I 100% recommend it, and I hope you listen to it more than 1 time.

oh shit. i'm an idiot.

thanks for the correction, friendo.

Had a simmilar experience with TFC definitely recommend it

cool that someone else here digs TFC

My fav release from them is still Marshmallows

aside from that, you can also listen to Dave Pajo's solo work

still amazes me to this day that the oldest member at the time of the recording of Spiderland was only 22

I don't love their EPs, I have listened to them a ton, by virtue of being a big fan of Brian and TFC. There's still a lot of highlights on them, but I'm always a little put off by the fact that their first 2 EPs get all the attention just because Pajo was involved. People forget that the creative genius of Spiderland was all in Brian and Britt's dynamic. Pajo is an incredible instrumentalist, but he played no role in the songwriting, even his technique is something he got guidance from Britt and Brian on.

Fight Songs is straight up mediocre, and Marshmallows is really good, but not the masterpiece that TFC is. "Salo" is incredible though, one of their best songs.

Moonbeams may very well be the greatest thing that Brian has written.

It is every bit as good as "Washer" and "Good Morning, Captain" masterpiece of a song, it kills me every time I listen to it. There's one part that always does me in

>Stand up and face it although you're half dead
>try to remember though they've taken your head
>why we sleep fully dressed and rise early from bed
>who did this to us?

>albini produced

What would he do?

Ruin your album

Nothing quite like this album exists.

Thank god for that. It's a pile of shit.

Cheeky ;)

Is Spiderland good? No.

cerberus shoal's self-titled debut album's vocals are v slint-y

fuck off back to hip hop thread