I can totally get why some people like Led Zeppelin, they have a lot of good songs

i can totally get why some people like Led Zeppelin, they have a lot of good songs.

what i Don't get is when every one jerks off to them so much. i hate having to tiptoe around the fact that I think they are "alright i guess" so that led zeppelin fans don't throw a hissy fit.

i recently listened to the first 2 albums. most of the songs are pretty dope but they all sound very similar because of Robert plants singing style.

So why are they held in such high regard? What makes them the greatest band of all time?

i have their whole discography on my computer so if there's anything you recommend me listening to to change my opinion just lemme know

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rxux5LdmjQU
youtube.com/watch?v=wvCNvu-Y5-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

alot of their stuff is catchy, which appeals to normies

They're really okay. I never understood the love either. I'd rather listen to Queen or Rush.

>What makes them the greatest band of all time
Physical Graffiti. The albums before that were all great but that's the one where it's the most obvious how much depth and range Zeppelin really had.

II is not really a great listen anymore in my opinion, it's too much of a touchstone release. Like, if you grew up hearing all the descriptions and parodies of Zeppelin, and then heard II first, you'd say "yep, that sounds about right". It's still good, but it's almost like a stereotype, both of Zeppelin and of hard rock in general.

Same happens with Pink Floyd, that have one or two good songs.

No way. Pink Floyd is like the ultimate classic rock album band. They have like 7 or 8 great albums worth of songs.

They're dad rock, for dads and chads only

>So why are they held in such high regard? What makes them the greatest band of all time?

they had amazing songs with excellent songwriting
they were the first true hard rock band
they could many different styles (blues, rock, psychedelic, folk etc.) all better than bands dedicated to those styles could
they were master musicians and are all 4 debatably the best ever of their chosen instrument
they were incredible live as well, they could improv and jam songs out to 25 mins, often playing for 3 hours or more

there has never really been another band like them. the only band I would say that is somewhat similar to Led Zeppelin were the original Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, who are criminally underrated

>Rush
>Queen

top fucking kek you're a moron

This op. Check out physical graffiti, it's filled with hidden gems including but not limited to:
Down by the seaside
In the light
Trampled underfoot
Black Country woman
Boogie with Stu
Sick again (plant is a Pedo)

he's right though. Rush and Queen are far superior to Led Zeppelin.

houses of the holy and physical graffitti show them really branching out and doing incredible things that don't sound like "led zep" achilles last stand is a must too

fucking kek kys

>Implying Queen is better than Zep

If you think Zeppelin is even 1/4th as good as Queen or Rush then you need to seriously consider suicide.

Once you listen to Houses of the Holy (best album) you will understand why everyone jerks off to them.

>Fleetwood Mac
What's the best Peter Green FM album to start with?

Every album up to PG has at least three good songs on it. They also had the best power groove ever.

You actually like queen? Does your mom know you're gay?

>Using gay as an insult on Sup Forums
>2017
Queen is good. Not Zeppelin good, but good. Their fans are obnoxious but most fans are.

Zeppelin were never popular with music critics back in the day. You should read contemporary RSM reviews; they're largely negative. I think they didn't like them because the band really didn't have a political message (at least not an obvious one) or have a stand-out-ish personality like Mick Jagger.

theyre both shit

That always bugged me. Why does everything have to have edge or political sloganeering? Why so difficult to sit back and appreciate a thumping guitar riff?

I'm not even a fan of Freddie Mercury in particular. He was great in his capacity, but the band as a whole is a big deal. Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Taylor ought to be mentioned in the same breath.

Then they all decided to pretend like zepplin was worth listening to and rank them as one of the best bands ever

There's no mystery to that. Music critics can't really write about sounds so all they have left to talk about are lyrics. Most of those 60s-70s critics like Christgau, Marcus, Bangs, et al were also way too wedded to the 1960s idea that music wasn't any good unless it promoted some progressive political cause.

You just described Radiohead

For me there are two essential PG FM albums.
>Then Play On,
much more psychedelic than their earlier work

>triple disc live in Boston album
goes more in the Led Zeppelin direction I mentioned - rattlesnake shake, if you let me love you, tutti frutti are all quite zeppelin-esque, in fact Jimmy was a big of Peter

there's some other great live albums and a few other absolutely essential studio songs
>oh well
>man of the world
>black magic woman
>albatross
>green manalishi
>world in harmony

but those two albums sum up the greatness of that era of Fleetwood Mac to me.

also there are no versions at this level on any of the live albums of this song i've heard
youtube.com/watch?v=rxux5LdmjQU

the first studio albums for the most part aren't that great. there are some good songs and some great playing by Peter Green. you can give them a listen but it doesn't represent the true magic of early FM.

I know its bait but im still mad

Don't let kids get to you.

I used to think the same before I came to Sup Forums. By all means Led Zeppelin is still one of my favorite bands, but the more music you listen to, the more your taste changes over time.

I'd rather listen to Cream, who they basically ripped off from, anyway. And at least Cream not only gave credit where credit was due, they even paid royalties to the estates of people who's songs they covered.

Deacon had issues when it came to his vision of the band's musical direction, but as a bassist he's on another level, especially when it comes to bass runs and iconic riffs.

Forget about the concept of "the greatest od all time" first of all. It's a ridiculous proposition.

>I'd rather listen to Cream
Same here. I'm with OP in that I've never really seen what was so great about Led Zeppelin; I like some of their stuff, but for the most part, it's pretty standard English blues rock. Cream did that in a far more interesting way, to me.

Where I do think Led Zeppelin stood out was their folkier material, though. A lot of their songs in that vein stand up incredibly well to other English folk rock acts of the time, and I consider it easily as good as stuff by the likes of Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span. In that way, I probably think about them in the weirdest way possible: an overrated rock band, but an underrated folk band.

Again with the "greatest of all time". Why? You and OP can't even begin to pretend there's a method of discerning such things.

>they were incredible live as well, they could improv and jam songs out to 25 mins, often playing for 3 hours or more

IDK, I recall Christgau saying that the Rolling Stones and the Who became more powerful live because they were playing essentially boosted pub rock, but bands like Zeppelin couldn't translate their studio sound to a live setting and important details got lost in the process.

just get how the west was won

youtube.com/watch?v=wvCNvu-Y5-4

boners verywhere

>caring what Christgau thinks