What's all the fuss about? Velvet Underground/Lou Reed are nothing special

what's all the fuss about? Velvet Underground/Lou Reed are nothing special

agreed, they're like a worse version of The Rolling Stones

it popularized gay voices
truly a seminal gay voice recording

TVU were incredibly influential

Lou Reed is one of the most important people in 20th Century music you dweeb, what's the most you've contributed apart from the cum stains in your underwear?

upvoted

If you think they are nothing special is probably because you need to listen to more music...
Worse version of The Rolling Stones ? wtf ?

to what?

why is that? among guys like beatles, the woodstock crew, prog giants, blues stars, punk, metal etc. what did he make better in the 20th century that makes him that important?

They pioneered avant-garde techniques to their music that had never been done and was a major impact on punk and indie rock later on.

>"If you think they are nothing special is probably because you need to listen to more music..."
>literally babby's first rock album

I don't get it either, a few songs are catchy, but looking at it from today's perspective, I don't find it to be anything interesting. Its aged horribly.

the fuss is about White Light/White Heat, that's their most influential album.
VU&Nico is the VU record all the college kids and alt-normies go for because it's got a lot of good accessible songs and it shaped like 80% of the sound of indie music for the next few decades. that's pretty cool. White Light/White Heat - specifically Sister Ray - was much more innovative. stuff like Sister Ray had literally never been done before except by relatively obscure academic composers, and the Velvet Underground was able to make it reach a wide audience. Sister Ray literally invented noise rock as we know it and set a template for the use of extreme distortion in general punk and indie rock

you have literally no taste
first album is definitely one of the best albums of all time

Well that's the thing about 60s/70s music in general, you grow up listening to everyone that tries to copy that sound so hearing the people who created the sound doesn't seem special to you. You need to listen to retrospect of what else was going on the year it came out and how unique it was.

>aged horribly
>proto-noise rock
>dirty realist lyrics
>amazing production
>amazing lyrics
>seminal songs

uh???
it sounds way the fuck ahead of its time

you can say that about pretty much any innovative "classic" record from the 60s or 70s. there's nothing wrong with not wanting to listen to it today, but you have to willfully ignore a lot of history to claim it was nothing special at the time. the main reason these albums aren't as interesting today is because you've already heard their sound copied by a hundred later bands

I still like 'em.

That was the point I was kinda making. I'm not going to look at it with a sense of false nostalgia though.

Never said it wasn't important in its time.

his music layed the basic for literally every "alternative" genre of music including punk

no i'm saying when i finally got around to listening to it this summer at the age of 25, as a noise/noise-rock musician, i was like "holy fuck this is so good!" i love the peaking bass and bleak sadomasochistic realist lyrics - shit from the 60s, be it music or film, BTFO of anything that came after, which really just rehashes 60s shit

Some people like to listen to the music that defined genres and created new things, other just want modern bands that take their music and make it poppier and more accessible. Whatever floats your boat.

No TVU no punk,no punk no post punk/goth or new wave,no new wave no synth pop/synth wave/all that shit,no punk no indie(which this board is based on),no punk no extreme metal. Basically if it weren't for the TVU you never would've been on this board to ask that question because Indie is a dervative of an derivative of TVU

Anyone else fucking hate Nico

>Hating Nico
>Not being envious of her because she spent so many nights having rough anal sex with Jim Morrison