Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zsnvNwlGg1o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>depression / mental disorder = good art
What a fucking meme

>artist has serious mental disorder
>when he's not on his meds he's too erratic to knuckle down and make anything
>when he's on his meds he's not creative enough to make anything

What are some examples? Like I know Trent's post '90s work is not as sad and heavy,

>Artist decides to get clean and quit drugs and/or alcohol
>music turns to shit

I read this in Will Hunting's voice.

With Teeth, Year Zero and Hesitation Marks are very good.

Even Ghosts is good. The Slip sucks tho.

Give me an example of an artist who's music turned to shit when depressed or having a mental breakdown.

The only thing i can think of is Hideaki Anno

Brian Wilson

Did not Brian Wilson make Pet Sounds and conceive Smile when he was depressed?

this

generally they're not going to be making anything at all

I think the only "pathological" mental state that can contribute positively to creativity is hypomania.

I've been through a lot of depressive episodes and other nonsense and all it does is get in the way of what I want to do. It's not worth romanticizing any more than having the flu. It just sucks, that's it. And probably anyone who says they did their best work while experiencing some sort of mental health crisis is just playing it up.

>artist claims to have synesthesia

>The Slip sucks tho.
Fuck off, The Slip kicks ass.
youtube.com/watch?v=zsnvNwlGg1o

Most good Beach Boys occurred post-Smile breakdown though.

>6,000,000
lol holocaust

Plot Twist: I'm the artist

it is bullshit but i think it's true if the artist is out of their mind on drugs, then it's possible to make something interesting. if you're really depressed you don't wanna get out of bed, let alone make music, record, produce, go on tours etc. I have a friend who romanticizes depression, it's really stupid and he makes generic dark ambient.

it's one of the few rules that is simultaneously a meme but also objectively true.

Happened to this faggot.

name ONE (1) good mentally healthy artist

>looking at you, Zachary Cole Smith

isaac brock epitomizes this notion more than anyone.

>settles down into large hipster museum of a house
>makes coconut curry with 10/10 indian waifu
>true bliss
>
>
>releases Strangers to Ourselves

You're wrong. People think that depressed music was produced during periods of depression, but it's not so. First you have depression (and you're not able to do anything), then you come out of that and you start working on something about your past depression.

You are a meme

>artist makes absolute dogshit music
>people pretend it is good because he has a mental disorder

Take vaporwave for example. HKE has depression and his music sucks. Telepath is meantally healthy and his music is godlike perfect.

Wesley Willis

depression is the most boring and repetitive thing to write about though

this

>Zachary Cole Smith
>good ever
Baka

I don't think anyone pretends I whipped spiderman's ass is good

True, that's why many depressed artists wrote absolute dogshit-tier lyrics with a lot stereotypical tropes about sadness like a dark moon and bottomless abysses and shit like this.

people like wesley willis because his music is weird as fuck, no one claims it's good

and daniel johnston is a legit great songwriter to the point that it makes up for his spotty recordings

Daniel Johnston

this

>sun kil moon
>avant garde
haha

How did he manage to make something so bland and uninspired? Even a song about the death of his adopted brother is just meh as fuck.

post more v-sauce memes

Danny Brown is a lot healthier. His musics not gonna be the same but good for him.

>artist's vision is fueled by depression
>not shit in the first place
plenty of people can make good dark music without being clinically depressed all the time, they're called feelings

"That's a popular notion that it is exclusively suffering that produces good work or insightful work. I don't think that's the case. I think in a certain sense it's a trigger or a lever, but I think that good work is produced in spite of suffering, and as a response, as a victory over suffering"
-Leonard Cohen

>artist doesn't get over depression/mental disorder
>dies