Kanye West is a good artist and all but in what way is he a genius...

Kanye West is a good artist and all but in what way is he a genius? Has anything he's done ever strike you as genius throughout his whole career?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/05/how-pet-sounds-invented-the-modern-pop-album/482940/
youtube.com/watch?v=3JCbfmze5LI
youtube.com/watch?v=1UztCDH2xuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg
youtube.com/watch?v=02k126v3Zu4
youtube.com/watch?v=3bUle4zMYqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

His game-changing moves in The College Dropout, Graduation and 808s

>NOW IF I FUCK THIS MODEL
>AND SHE JUST BLEACHED HER ASSHOLE
>AND GET BLEACH ON MY SHIRT
>I'MMA FEEL LIKE AND ASSHOLE
a pure poet

He's one of the only artists to push pop music forward, constantly innovating his sound, and therefore the sound of pop.

I honestly cannot think of a mainstream artist pushing hip-hop/pop as much as him. So much music we hear, whether you love it or hate it, is a product of Kanye's influence. Kanye is unironically the most influential artist of the 21st century so far.

He taught us that the human voice is just a sound.
That's some next level shit.

Unfunny underage leave

Kanye being a genius is a bad meme. People who think influencing pop makes you a genius don't know what the word means.

bet you love pet sounds though eh?

I'm a bigger fan of The Beatles personally. Besides people don't say Brian Wilson is a genius because he influenced pop music. He was a genius who happened to be working in the context of pop music with one of the most popular bands of the time. Pet Sounds wasn't even popular on release but the critics loved it.

genius at self promotion perhaps. Still like that music tho.

pet sounds is considered a highly influential album with regards to pushing pop albums forward both as a concept and in terms of its creation. Exactly like Kanye

Ok, if its so easy, then change and inspire pop music. First, you have to shill yourself out to even get popular, then your music needs to be actually good and normies friendly, then after a few albums you need to start getting radio play. After that, when you release your "game changing" record, you need to make it accessible and make sure it isn't garbage, and that it makes at least one part of one genre sound out dated. Kanye did it totally different. He didn't start rapping until he got himself to a level where he was producing classic jayz songs on classic albums. He then released a debut which was inspirational to all of hiphop. He then released his second album, where he started to get radio play. He then released graduation, which killed off part of hiphop (gangsta rap). He had another radio song which introduced sampling to normies. He then released 808s, an autotune pop album that inspired a shit ton of modern radio rap. By that point, he shilled himself and was popular enough to drop his game changer. He combined all his various sounds over the years and made a huge sounding album (mbdtf) and dropped that on everybody in 2010. You can clearly hear a change in pop music post 2010, where nearly all pop music sounds bigger and denser, which is due to mbdtfs inspiration. He then pushed the envelope further with Yeezus, which was supposed to be a 3 hour instrumental album. He then made his white album, TLOP. He introduced a sound, expanded on it and its popularity, mixed his sound with modern pop, threw everybody off gaurd with a normal pop album, then combined all his sounds to make something that sounds like nothing else. He then did the antithesis to that sound, and then made an album showcasing each of his sounds over the years, while also showcasing his current mental state. Genius.

Tell me what good influence he had on music.
Nobody even cares for him in my country.

>good influence
That's entirely subjective. We're not talking about opinions. You can say Kanye is gutter trash and makes awful music, that is beside the point.

it basically created the idea of a pop album as a whole concept. also recording technique with multi-track recording and layering etc was groundbreaking

multiple good write ups about it
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/05/how-pet-sounds-invented-the-modern-pop-album/482940/

>So much music we hear, whether you love it or hate it, is a product of Kanye's influence

Name 10

>Good influence

I'll make a list for you
-made chipmunk soul hiphop popular
-put the final nail in the coffin for boom bap gangster rap
-808s and heartbreaks is the last album Drake listened to before he made his debut album
-introduced Travis Scott, kid Cudi, Lupe fiasco, chief keef, and designer into hiphop
-emotional honesty influenced hiphop to express your emotions more
-album editing after release has influenced others to do the same
-mbdtf influenced pop music to be denser and sound bigger
-making your music art
-perfect discography and planned out career influencing artists like Kendrick
-diverse production skill set influenced people to constantly change up their sound and image
-clothing looking like what your music sounds like and keeping it up for different eras of your sound and life

I hope you're joking, Vox.

Delusional stan

10 albums or artists? I'll do both.

Albums
-lupe fiasco, tetsuo and youth
-Drake, so far gone
-j Cole, 2014 FHD
-Chance, his whole discography
-logic, under pressure
-kendrick Lamar, to pump a butterfly
-childish Gambino, camp
-frank ocean, nostalgia ultra
-tyler the creator, wolf
-future, Pluto

Artists
-drake
-kendrick
-kid Cudi
-big Sean
-j Cole
-travis Scott
-tyler the creator
-lupe fiasco
-chief keef
-chance the rapper

Dispute me by making an argument, not by using buzz words.

All of those are awful tho

to pimp a butterfly is a product of kanye's influence?

there is nothing that sounds like kanye anywhere on that album. maybe good kid or section 80

How did Kanye influence Chief Keef?

>So much music we hear, whether you love it or hate it, is a product of Kanye's influence.
he didn't say it was good dumby, he said it was influenced by kanye. your opinion doesn't matter.

Probably more good kid maad city actually. Kendrick just said Kanye was a huge influence and taught him to go all the way with his creative vision, and I though to pimp a butterfly was the best example of that. Plus people compare it to mbdtf.
He literally made Chief Keef relevant

I started hating on kanye for some of the shitty stuff he put out. I like the new album though.

youtube.com/watch?v=3JCbfmze5LI

People had the same ideas before but didn't have the audience and people did it better since, hes the Sex Pistols of rap

He openly and unironically compares himself to Einstein.

I was asking how he influenced his music. And Keef was popping off before Kanye remixed his song, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

So, tell me how Kanye influenced his music!

I know Vox is a meme but what they said pretty much explained it. His use of the human voice is not only influential, but revolutionary. He shows you don't need a big fancy backbeat to produce a masterpiece, the human voice is what we all have, the human voice is within us all. It really speaks for itself as an unlimited instrument.

>in what way is he a genius?
positive affirmation. enough people called him a genius enough times to the point that people started to believe it's true

see: hypnopaedia memetic devices in Brave New World

tldr: he's not and people are dumb parrots

>being this ignorant
look up advanced genius theory. Kanye on verge of joining ranks of revolutionary artists, if not already there (which he is)

>the Sex Pistols of rap
ooh bet you felt proud of that one. i hear buzzfeed is hiring

what the fuck has he done aside from producing some catchy simplistic pop songs? nowadays he doesn't even do that, considering his team of 30 professional producers. the lyrics are basic uncreative garbage and the composition is exactly what you would expect from someone with no knowledge of music theory.

Just wait 20 years

>Mozart doesn't play the instruments in his symphony
>Elon musk doesn't hand build every car
good points user, please enlighten with an artist you think is one of this generations great geniuses

> You have to solo create all art with no assistance or else it doesn't count
Some rather arbitrary rules here

Unironically great lyrics.

>Perfect discography
Yeezus would like a word with you

>ellon musk
>a genius
financiers are never ingenious

pleb opinion. Yeezus is in top 3

Chief Keef is great though.

Prove my point. Visionaries utilize talent of others to create greatness outside the sum of the parts

> He thinks Yeezus is bad
I see the pleb filter worked

>Implying that Kanye's attempt at experimental hiphop was hard to digest

t. Pleb who was pleb filtered

>projecting implications to make shit point
user didn't say anything about that you fucking autist. yeezus wasn't an attempt at experimental hip hop, but a nod to industrial/brutalist art and architecture and a ode to chicago acid house.

To normies yes it was.

He literally used the Kanye bear for an album cover.

>comparing kanye with mozart
first of all, it doesn't matter that mozart wasn't playing instruments. technical proficiency on an instrument doesn't mean anything. that's not what i'm trying to imply. it's all about compositional abilty.

the difference is that mozart meticulously placed and arranged every note and every rest for every instrument in his compositions.

at best, today kanye is overseeing some minor changes in beats that producers bring to him. but even back when he was making his own beats, you'd have to be a vegetable to think that the talent that went into the creation of his 4/4 verse-chorus hip hop beats is comparable to the talent that went into the compositions of mozart.

he's an egotistical hack whose only talent is in making people think he has talent.

>please enlighten with an artist you think is one of this generations great geniuses
here's a few:
youtube.com/watch?v=1UztCDH2xuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg
youtube.com/watch?v=02k126v3Zu4
youtube.com/watch?v=3bUle4zMYqE

not 808s

ahem Caroline Shaw

>at best, today kanye is overseeing some minor changes in beats that producers bring to him
But that's not true. Take a "generic" song like Stronger. He remade this song conpletely over from scratch more than 70 times before he was happy with it. You have no idea what you're talking about.

>being this hyperbolic
nobody said you have to do everything yourself. but where is the line drawn? at what point should you stop being credited for the creation of art? if kanye literally just took beats from other producers without changing them and then rapped on top would you still call him a genius producer? this is a gray area.

BUT, that's not even my point. read the rest of my post and what i responded with here

obviously have never heard about kanye working with anyone. look up his collab with paul mccartney. he takes ideas but is meticulous to the point of OCD on flushing them into his vision. man is a workaholic. but its ok. your list of "genius" artists says enough. you are truly a contrarian and a patrician sir

>People had the same ideas before but didn't have the audience and people did it better since
Tell me who made a 9 minute rap song where the structure is similar to a prog rock song and with distorted vocals making up the majority of the song before kanye did. Kid cud had the idea of a sad rapper but kanye really brought it to the forefront and 808s still stands as the greatest sadrap album.
Yeezus is barely industrial and very distorted bass heavy so hes also on the forefront of that trend as well
>inb4 death grips ripoff
Sounds nothing like death grips yeezus is unique

Yeezus was 4 years ago........FUCK.

i remember going to see the building projection and everything

>Not understanding how this fits into the greater themes of the album
Absolutely plebian

yeezus is his best work

>but even back when he was making his own beats, you'd have to be a vegetable to think that the talent that went into the creation of his 4/4 verse-chorus hip hop beats is comparable to the talent that went into the compositions of mozart.

you guys keep missing my point. even if he did everything himself (which he doesnt) his work is still miles away from anything that could be called genius.

you're all just sensationalists who read p4k and want to believe that something incredible is happening in popular music when it really isn't.

at best he'll be remembered as the guy who bridged the gap between rap and radio pop. similar to how mumford and sons commercialized folk/bluegrass

>Kid cud I had the idea of a sad rapper but kanye really brought it to the forefront and 808s still stands as the greatest sadrap album.
Kid Cudi did help on a few tracks for 808s but you're still correct.

> Simple = Dumb
Yikes.

once again, you're missing my point. seealso,
>my list of critically acclaimed and well-established successful musicians is "contrarian'
i keep forgetting how much kanye fans are surface-level top 40 poptimists

He is most likely manic with a bloated ego. Like most of musicians.

An album cover? I'm asking for musical influences, not aesthetic. You obviously can't point out any.

Pathetic.

but i didn't say this?

You just said we're p4k sensationalists yet when you defend your list of "genius" artists you claim they're critically acclaimed. So you only care about what's critically acclaimed when it's convenient, and you're arbitrarily selective about it too. Good to know, now I can completely dismiss everything you say

Arguing with people who's understanding of music theory ends at "it sounds good" is not going to work

his list of the "genius" influencers of modern music wasn't enough to dismiss him? talent doesn't automatically indicate genius as OP clearly doesn't understand

Yeezus sound like a watered down The Money Store and the only good track is blood on the leaves, it's a fucking top 40 album pretending to be different but he just distorted his entire album

i'm not using critical acclaim to justify the quality of the music. i know for a fact that the people who made that music are exceptionally talented without needing to lean on the opinion of critics.

the reason why i mention the critical acclaim was to refute the accusation that i'm "contrarian"

>influencers of modern music
nobody is talking about influence you dumbshit. go move your goalposts somewhere else

Yeezus is his best album.

Yeezus sounds nothing like TMS; those two albums are going for completely different things. Firstly Yeezus is 100x times more sensual and "conscious" than DG is or ever was, /especially/ on TMS. You wouldn't find something like Guilt Trip on a DG album and DG would never so bluntly put a sex sample on a track like I'm In It, or create a song like Bound 2. That's just not what they're going for artistically. Sorry, but aside from the "abrasiveness" (which, the more and more you think about it, isn't very present on Yeezus), those two albums are nothing alike. Also, reminder that WTT predates Exmilitary and there was some Yeezusesque prediction on that album.

*production

whole thread is about his genius exemplified in his creation of brilliant music that has reaching influence over pop music and hip hop. get more mad

Especially 808s. Kanye has admitted that he copped Kid Cudi's sound, and it's also around when he signed Cudi as well.

>beat has abrasive/jarring aspects
>muh dethgrips are robbed
honestly the weakest connection between yeezus and anything death grips did at that point or has done since

>that has reaching influence over pop music and hip hop
reaching influence =/= genius friendo.
nickelback influenced rock.
kenny g. influenced jazz.
your entire reasoning as to why he's a genius is built on a fallacy

>Implying yeezus is his best album when Late Registration exists

literally blind with patrician insight. even as hyperbole, neither of your examples work. kanye is genius because of his talent as an artist, and the repercussions his output has on the zeitgeist. That is important in classifying genius in art/music. the most technically talented musician who never does anything but play music that pushes no boundaries isn't a genius. A crazy brilliant and game changing painter who never gets his work exposed to the world is only a "could have been genius". you need both to be considered genius level in the realm of art

>the most technically talented musician who never does anything but play music that pushes no boundaries isn't a genius

> A crazy brilliant and game changing painter who never gets his work exposed to the world is only a "could have been genius"
i COMPLETELY disagree. how can you say that someone is only a genius if lots of other people acknowledge them as such? knowledge and talent aren't co-dependent on the recognition of others. it's completely possible that there's someone who made paintings that rival those of da vinci and michelangelo, but kept them locked in his basement so the world never saw them. does that make him any less of a genius? of course not

didn't mean to quote that first part

too late, point invalidated

haha darn

...Not the top 40 radio my dude

imagine being so plebeian that you actually think kanye is a genius

Listen to Be (Intro)

the only noteworthy part of that beat is j dilla's bass playing

>tfw you realize MBDTF, Yeezus, and TLOP are musical adaptations of Eyes Wide Shut
>Even the "Now if I fuck this model" line syncs up perfectly to a scene in the film

People seriously think this pop artist who is a shit lyricist is a genius because he makes nice Beats?

> He JUST NOW realized Freestyle 4 was about Eyes Wide Shut

I haven't watched Eyes Wide Shut yet.

Going full religious was a genius move to get all that retard money. Lost respect tho which he will never get back

>he hasnt watched Eyes Wide Shut
You have got to be Nicole Kidding me

I'll try to watch it this week.

Kanye was always religious though. His rise to popularity was because of Jesus Walks