Sonic Youth Thread

Let's talk about SY niggas, favorite album? Song? Member?
>Pic related
>Total Trash
>Moore

Yeah, i member

Dirty
Theresa Sound World
Steve Shelley

DN
Stereo Sanctity
Ranaldo

I love Dirty as well, I feel like it definitely doesn't deserve the hate it gets, I roll my eyes everytime somebody calls it their "sell-out album".

Bad Moon Rising is objectively their best album

underrated

daydream nation with washing machine in a close second
eric's trip
moore

dirty was the album that got me into sonic youth. i still love it

The plebs here don't understand that.

Bad Moon Rising.
I Love Her All the Time.
Lee Ranaldo.

It's all contrarianism, Dirty is fantastic

trendy garbage
too bad with such a good name

A Thousand Leaves
Shadow of a Doubt (not that I could pick one favourite song)
Kim
>Ranaldo cucks
enjoy your sub-mediocre solo albums fags

>Steve Shelley
Saw him this year playing classic punk and glam tunes in a small brazilian trio and having a great time. Great guy

>trendy
>for the past 30 years

sister
catholic block or in the kingdom #19
lee ranaldo, thurston seems like an ass.

It's a toss up between Daydream Nation and Bad Moon Rising
The Diamond Sea
Hey Joni
Thurston Moore

Daydream nation
Star power (in the kingdom #19 is underrated as FUCK)
lee

The Diamond Sea is one of the best songs ever made imo

Bad Moon Rising
The Diamond Sea
Kim Gordon

lol no

>>Ranaldo cucks
dont be trash m8

Sister
Cross The Breeze
I'm Thurston for Moore

J-JU-JUSTICE THIS SONG IS CALLED JUSTICE IS MIGHT
Their sellout album was Goo. Dirty as well as Experimental Jet Set sounded really obnoxious to me. Dirty had a couple of good songs but most of it was ass. Experimental Jet Set was complete ass, except for the opening song.

I don't really get the love for these albums. Rest of their albums are bombastic as fuck tho.

if you can elaborate, how was goo their sell out album?

With Goo, they signed to DGC and started getting music videos on the TV. I guess calling it a sell out album is a bit too far.

It was their first album signed to a major label. It still has a lot of really great tracks on it, though.
-Tunic (Song for Karen), Mote, Cinderella's Big Score, Titanium Exposé

Steve Shelley is a great, great fucking drummer, Kim's cool, Thurston's a geek god.

But Lee is the only choice.

yep, but sell out implies it sacrifices integrity for pop tunes and while I see how there biggest pop hit is there and the style is a bit different, I don't think it's a "sell-out album"
agreed

on Geffen (same label as GnR fer chrissakes), they were touring stadiums with Neil Young, they had expensive music videos, they had major label promotion, etc etc

trips checked

it was literally a sell-out album - but it's a good record nonetheless (similar to "Nevermind")

Goo kicked ass, but I was saying that Dirty and Experimental Jet Set were ass.
You sort of got the taste of things to come with Kool Thing tho. Man, that song pisses me off. The outro's nice tho.

Fuck, I thought you were replying to me not the other guy. Sorry for the pointless posts.

hm I'll settle with that
not the biggest fan of goo compared to the rest of their discography but I like it compared to most of what they put out later, Dirty doesn't do it for me but I enjoy Washing Machine/Murray St but it really doesn't do much for me otherwise.

I remember seeing an interview with Kim Gordon where she mentioned they were called sellouts as far back as EVOL. I'm trying to find it but I'm not seeing it. I think it was from the late 90s or early 00s.