What is the most depressing film of all time? Not saddest. Not most dramatic...

What is the most depressing film of all time? Not saddest. Not most dramatic. What film out of all makes you feel empty and hopeless by the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/m6FQa2CcDqs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(1979_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Plague dogs

this

Requiem for a dream

Looking for Nemo

If not top of the list, but Road to Perdition was not a happy film. Pretty bleak ending

please do continue to further display your complete lack of education

This and Watership Down.

sympathy for mr. vengeance.
a tiny bit like requiem for a dream, except nobody had it coming and meant the best for everyone else.

Tbh this movie sucks ass

Fucking Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

I watched Logan again last night. I was drunk and already feeling sad. That movie just enhanced it

The Deer Hunter - empty and depressing

i was feeling horrible and sad one afternoon when i watched it with out really knowing what it was

not the best idea

>the grey zone
not gonna lie, pretty shitty scenario. but you know, ((((jews)))).

notable:
>the mist
>grave of the fireflies
>come and see
>the seventh seal
>the devils

Limbo isn't the worst but deserves a mention.

Evengalion was depressing. I got some of my friends to watch it and they said it wasn't that bad. I thought it was extremely relatable and ended up crying myself to sleep.

24 grams.
Synedoche New York
La Pianiste.
Dogville.

John Carpenter's The Thing.

At the end, the only survivors are MacReady and Childs, and the entire base has been razed to try and eradicate the alien organism, so they only have a few hours left until they freeze to death.

Being that only a single cell of the alien organism can spread to take over all life on Earth, it's nearly impossible that they've killed all traces of it. So, when a rescue team comes in the future, it is most probable that members of the rescue team will become infected, and then it will lead to the whole planet becoming infected.

Also, The scene when Christopher Walken's character kills himself in the russian roulette game was heartbreaking.

Take your pick of Von Trier films, but I think Melancholia is his most depressing. Go figure. I'm comfortable with saying that Melancholia is, in FACT, the most depressing film of all time.

Honorable mentions:
McCabe and Mrs Miller
Umberto D (maybe more sad than depressing tho)
Diary of a Country Priest
L'argent
Assanination of Jesse James
There Will be Blood
Begotten
The Servant
Cries and Whispers
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

youtu.be/m6FQa2CcDqs

Not because I'm a Nazi, but because the totality of the conflict is best encapsulated by this footage.

City of Life and Death

Deutschland bleiche Mutter aka Germany Pale Mother.

Very bleak. My ex girlfriend sobbed for 45 minutes after watching it.

Leviathan (2014)

The fountain

either Stalker or The Road

Cringe

No Country For Old Men
A.I

Depressathon

“Yay! Our friends have made it! Oh. And here come the good guys to ruin it”

>What film out of all makes you feel empty and hopeless by the end?
Transformers. Anything with Tom Cruise.

so good... instant classic...

The book is even more goddamn bleak. Cannibal Holocaust isn't necessarily depressing but it does make me feel like shit every time I watch it

Martyrs.

Yeah, I forgot to add this in my honorable mentions. Also, Eraserhead.

Idiocracy

Ernest goes to camp

Dubtrips don't lie

That British nuclear war movie, Threads.

The Mist, especially the very end and Triangle.

>the mist
I'll never understand what people see in this film. I think it's one of the most overrated films of all time.

>the triangle
This was surprisingly good.

This is a great answer. It starts off with Sheffield getting nuked, and then things just get worse, and worse, and worse over time, with not a single glimmer of hope to be seen.

We had a teacher at school who put it on for us as an end-of year "treat". On reflection, he was kind of a dick.

The Mist has a nice buildup and extremely creepy atmosphere that feels hopeless and apocalyptic, I love that shit.

Definitely The Road and Threads. Both were depressing as fuck

Requiem for a Dream fucked me up.

Especially the gf turning into a crackwhore.

Of course, the cucks here probably got diamond hard watching that scene.

Have you seen Melancholia? I think you might like it.

C-Span is pretty god damn depressing

>getting fucked up by propaganda

Propaganda? How so?

Lot of the things depicted in the movie happened to people I know. One reason it stung so much. You hear about things like that, but it's another thing entirely to see visualizations of it.

>being such worthless trash that your life genuinely reflects a propaganda film

Yeah, the second Earth one. That was pretty good. It's been a minute though and I think I was smoking when I saw it, don't remember it very well.

bad lieutenant

This really fucked with me. So depressing

I'm doing pretty well these days. I can't help what other people do to themselves. Also, dunno if you've heard but there's an opioid epidemic in the States right now. Shit is bad.

I'm generally not devoutly anti-drug, but it pains me to see decent people with decent lives go down the shitter because they got a habit. In the case of pain meds, many didn't even mean to.

You didn't answer my question. How's it propaganda?

Haven’t seen it yet, but I wanna end my own life every time I have to watch bing bong disappear....

First 10 minutes of UP

requiem for a dream

Depressing and ruthless.

The Vanishing.

I hated the book. I hated the movie more.

Not who you were replying to. It’s not propaganda.
Guy you want to reply also probably thinks burkowski and hunter Thomson are propaganda.
Maybe Shel Silverstein is too to him...

>Discourages drug use to the fullest possible extent
>Propaganda
Surely someone with an anime reaction picture can't be wrong about this one.

Stop spewing hate, Satan. Start with losing those trips

toy story 3

The moral of the story isn’t “don’t do drugs”....

matrix revolutions

Stalker

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(1979_film)

Nutty Professor 2 : The Klumps

As a 30-something guy, seeing that scene in the theater was a punch to the nuts. Completely ruined my day. Because the idea of a child having to give up something as innocent and pure as an imaginary friend just wrecked me emotionally.

Harry Potter and the Nuclear Powered Niggerdick of Armageddon

Are you finally on the verge of explaining yourself? It's been almost 45 minutes.

dead snow 2

A French film called INSIDE.

I never thought of it as an anti-drug movie any more than I thought of Trainspotting or Fear and Loathing.

It’s awful. It’s one of the most depressing things. Good thing I saw it at a drive in the 1st time. Was easier to cry into my popcorn.

>zombie clearly axes her in the head
>closeup, no head injuries

literally unwatchable

What’s to explain? Saying it’s an anti drug propaganda movie is like saying black swan is saying don’t let your kids do ballet.
But after Noah and Mother!, I am getting a little tired of his biblical bullshit.

Haha! Never seen the second one, but I'm going to now.

Ellen Burstyn's performance in that movie is one clear indication of it being a anti-drug movie, among other topics. Those scenes were especially excruciating for people with parents who have an easy access to prescription drugs.

Same, because the good guy dies in the end

don't bother, you just saw the best of it

The Road

The diet pills aren’t her story. It’s a byproduct. Her story is the addiction to being young and famous on the tv show and looking beautiful in the red dress with her son by her side.

MEGAFORCE

Happiness (1998)

If you want to feel dead inside.

Who is the movie supposed to target? Drug dealers into over romanticizing things they're selling? I don't understand you. Are you ?

I know, I've seen the film. That's why I said among other topics. The explanation for all of it being propaganda is going to be special, if we actually get it. So far, we have this:

I am not As I said here

And I actually find the wrestler more depressing than requiem

You should see .

I have. Shitty way to go

We either dropped too many bombs on them or not enough. I can't decide anymore.

I always found lack of self awareness and denial to be a huge aspect of it. Leto exploiting his girl and mother, then buying a tv to make up for it. Burstyn lacking the perception to realize she's destroying herself and her appearance while losing her mind. The girl diving into prostitution just for a fix, and ignoring that they both need help if they've gone from opening a clothing store to pimping her out and him being infected to the point of lopping off an arm.

Addiction in many cases can just be a metaphor for denial of the human condition.