Anyone on Sup Forums ride?

Anyone on Sup Forums ride?

Just bought a brand new bike...obsessed over bikes for about 6 months finally lurked enough to learn that i need to take MSF class so I did and passed, then went to DMV and got my license.

researched dealerships for a few months until I found one I trusted and financed a new bike.

Question; how long until I'm not dog shit? I'm still sputtering about in 1st slowly shifting to 2nd, going for a while than forgetting to shift back down to 1st before I stop....stalling a lot, but overall only taken it out once for about 10 minutes around the neighborhood and I managed to not dump the bike so I consider that good lol.

Any tips for help with clutch/throttle in general and what RPMS i need to be at to shift up from 2nd to 3rd to 4th etc? It feels so new to me which I guess it is and everyone got through this but I'm hoping I can get it done by a month or so so i'm more comfortable commuting daily. Any tips/advice appreciated thx !

t. squid

Bikes really are great.
Do not show off or be clever
Lurk in a few rekt threads and see what happens when you come off a bike.
Regards from a nursefag who has worked with motorcycle crash victims.

Congrats and welcome. Riding is one of the funnest, most satisfying, therapeutic pursuits going. Also probably the most dangerous thing you'll ever do. Take it seriously. Immerse yourself in learning as much as you can and being the best rider that you can. Read/watch Twist of Wrist. Read Proficient Motorcycling and Total Control. Watch lots of Youtube videos - technique and crashes. Practice, practice, practice.

I've been riding for six years so far. It's my main form of transportation so I learned to shift and get comfortable riding rather quickly. As for your question on RPMs, it can vary based on the engine you have. When I first learned how to ride on a little 250cc it was a bitch. I would already be in 4th gear just after going through an intersection. As for my 650cc I typically shift gears around 6000rpms. But I wouldn't worry about RPMs when starting out. Just listen to the engine and when you hit a peek and feel the bike starting to struggle, bump up a gear. Try and get used to the pull and lull of the bike when shifting gears.

And enjoy when Stacy drives over you in her escalade

Try mastering a stick shift in a car first, then it'll come easy on a bike.

I don't have a motorcycle but I do have a 170cc scooter. All the fun of motorized two wheels with much less risk of being turned into hamburger.

Also a tip you might have learned when in the class but is very useful when driving is knowing what side of the lane to be on when maneuvering around or with traffic. Always give yourself a bubble! If you see a car approaching you on your right, move over to your middle lane or left lane. With that being said, be aware that the middle lane is where all the oil and debris from cars will fall. Try riding in the the lane that mirrors the car ahead of you. That helps prevent any debris such as nails popping your tires. I try to stay just left/right of middle. That way I'm not risking oil/debis while still giving myself safe space from other motorists.

>Any tips/advice

don't be a stupid asshole

Haha yeah while she's applying make up or yammering on her phone. Women in big cars are the worst. I've had to kick the side of a few cars because of that reason.

I used to ride 1000's

Now i got older and wiser, id rather drive a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow...

Pic related my bike

The MSF course is a good start, but do keep actively learning how to be safer while riding; The course can't substitute for experience. Get some decent protective riding gear (probably talked about in the class) and a Hi-Vis vest or jacket (seriously helps you be seen in heavy traffic).

For clutch and throttle, try to be smooth rather than fast. Low speed maneuvers take practice, but I found that I preferred to think of the clutch smoothing out and making fine adjustments to the throttle inputs. For shifting at speed, just keep doing things step-by-step like in the class. If you move the clutch at a slow-medium rate you'll probably get a feel for how close or far off your throttle input was.

For shifting, it depends on the bike, but until you have some more experience, aim to stay towards the low end to avoid surprises. On my Sprint St 955 (3-cyl SPORT-touring with a very flat torque curve), I spent the first month or two staying between 2k and 4k (redline around 9k). The torque started coming in around 2.5k, and anything more than 4k was more hp than a beginner on a new bike should be using. Later, 4k became normal in traffic.

Found the nigger!

Oh and how's that? Haha

Always dress for the slide, not the ride.

>Read/watch Twist of Wrist. Read Proficient Motorcycling and Total Control.
Seconding this - there is good info for all levels of riding in those.

Also, if you are very interested in safety nerd stuff, reading the statics derived from the Hurt Report might be interesting. It highlights the common hazards from a different perspective than MSF. There was a more recent study conducted in Europe, I think as well.

why does that image give me vertigo

it was years b4 i finally got my bike and its real fun
biggest problem with riding is that its a fucking pain in the ass to get your gear on to go riding, and you cant really operate normal lifestyle while riding, so its like a huge inconvenience and the only times its actually fun riding is when nobody else is on the road

best tips are, get the best PPE to save ur ass
buy something low speed for start, i bought a 250
ride around town, keep riding, like everyday until youre comfortable,

ALSO
for the winter, store your fucking tires inside, or else they will fucking get destroyed by the cold and snow

It really does just take practice. Nothing else to it. What bike did you get? If you got a 600 for a starter bike I have no sympathy

also this, buy that book and learn from it
god tier guide

lol enjoy your early demise because you had to try to look cool due to insecurities

RIDE LIKE YOU'RE INVISIBLE.

Because, to half the idiots on the road, YOU ARE!

Enjoy being too much of a pussy to ride. Look around and you'll see guys with grey beards, probably on Harleys or Gold Wings, who've been riding longer than you've been alive. They've lived a life of freedom and adventure that you'll never know, and looked cool, and were cool. While you'll be a sad, frightened sissy who lived a life of quiet desperation, wishing you'd done something interesting.

Partly because of retards doing shit like this idiot

Enjoy decades of accident-free riding like millions of others while getting 60-70 mpg, parking with ease,and having a blast, instead of being a little scaredy bitch.

>They've lived a life of freedom and adventure that you'll never know, and looked cool, and were cool.
>actually believing this
Yeah ok bud. You're a real Hells Angel. I'll be the first thing you think of when you are laying on the pavement.

This thread is full of cringe

Bikers are lame

I'm saving up to learn motorcycle and get one if i can. Still the hardest part just like every other child that lives in their parents basement.
>parents approval
Really want to experience it and live how convenient it is. I know there is no way I can convince them, so I'll just get everything with my own money

Bikers do not look cool.

I had a moped (not a motor scooter). It was so fuckken bad ass. Then it got stolen, presumably by nigs.

This OP. Always be careful and have an eye on the retarded car drivers. Good luck.

Sincerly, someone who knows

Do you not look at Rekt threads? Good luck...

if you are stalling out the bike, you need to get your money back from the MSF class. they shouldn't have let you pass if you can't operate you bike.

Who else, right?
That biker was going minimum 3x the speed limit there. Shit was his own fault

what leads you to belief the scooter is less dangerous?

that's a good way to get killed, startling an already distracted driver when you are in a position that you can't get away from them.

>b-b-but im liek james dean and stuffs gois

Sperg much?

>4th bike. 2015 Fz1
>3rd bike. 2016 Fz-09
>2nd bike. 2007 SV650
>1st bike. GT250r Hyosung

I've been riding for 2 years. This is my second and current bike. Honda CBR 600RR

Let's see a pic of your bike, OP. If you can't shift your bike, you didn't get your MSF waiver, which means you didn't get your license, which means you didn't buy a bike from a dealer, which means you don't have a bike.

Which means your a faggot for this dumb thread.

WTF are you babbling about?

Most retards in OP pic are showoff in nature, i ride moped in dense city but it's a point A to B. If i'm crossing states often i'd get a cruiser.