I'm 29

I'm 29.

Am I too old to buy a keyboard, practice playing music everyday for a couple of years and then maybe making money off composing indie videogames?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UDYzuwG-gOE
youtube.com/watch?v=5iubDTkT3Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=utqp7ECKUl0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do it pussy

Not to old to start music

You probably won't make money either way.

>Am I too old to buy a keyboard, practice playing music everyday for a couple of years

Never

>then maybe making money off composing indie videogames?
Probably not unless you have friends that make indie games

Do you need to be a great player and do concerts or you can live off making compositions today?

become a camwhore

not really. It's not that hard. I'd recommend learning how to read music first: including drums, and learning how to transpose. ten you can make midis, and midi parts which can then be plugged into vst's or played by yourself or other musicians and tempo adjustments can be made, and etc. etc. then when you're good enough you contact an indy game developer, or a few, and show them our stuff and get paid.

>Do you need to be a great player and do concerts or you can live off making compositions today?
If you are any kind of a self-respecting musician, you're not going to make a living playing music. We should all be grateful for affordable home studio equipment and instruments. Get off Sup Forums, start practising and eventually assemble your own home studio.

so you can still make a living off making compositions, assuming you're also good doing mastering and mixing, right?

lol no

Compositions for what purpose? Mixing and mastering also requires learning, but nothing will stop you if your desire is to make music. Mastering could be left to professionals at first.

I want to compose music for videogames.

It's fine if you want to get into music but please don't plan to ever make a living out of it, especially at your age.

Do you have a connection with the industry or a developer team? Start with establishing those and if you're planning on making a living composing music for video games - have a job until you attain some level of competence with keyboards and DAWs.

I have some conections to the game industry.
I wanted to be an indie developer, but I rather focus on just one skill.

isn't making a living off music possible after you have like five or six years of experience?

It's just not a very profitable venture in general, don't expect to get paid a lot.

I didn't said to become rich, I said making a living, you know, enough to afford food, gas and rent.

Also, I'm a thirld worlder.

I only need less than 400 bucks per month to live like a middle class faggot.

>I wanted to be an indie developer, but I rather focus on just one skill.
Have a job until you attain some level of competence with keyboards and DAWs. And after that, try your luck.

Money is not really a concern for me though.

Making money would be nice, but my main concern is to gain recognition.

I just want to leave some kind of legacy before I die, but I'm not sure if I can reach a master skill in five years and at my age.

yeah i'm sure that's doable. a lot of freelance artists do that, just start NOW and don't worry about time or your age

It sounds like you're interested in music for the wrong reasons. Making music for fame and recognition rarely produces a worthwhile, enduring piece of art.

Depends on how motivated you are,
and that depends on why you're doing it in the first place:
>To make money
give up, youl be making pennies and it will become a shit job you barely get paid for
>You like the idea of making music but also need a way to sustain yourself
probably the most effective way. Since living will depend on your music it will be the most important thing to you. {granted you're not on NEETbux or have someone that will bail you out}
>Out of a passion and want to make a little dough on the side if possible
You'l be good but you shouldn't bank on making any money. It should be more an interest in learning to play for its own sake. If you make some money on the side it will be good. It will take more time than the second option but youl enjoy it more.

you seem kind of confused.

I'm not talking about the fame of a celebrity, I don't want to be a celebrity and I would hate to be famous, in the sense of having papparazzi.

I would still love to be just a humble guy making music.

What I mean by recognition is to be able to reach the level of beauty classical music has, something like nobuo uematsu works, michiru yamane work in Castlevania SOTN.

I want my music to be recognized and beautifull and famous.

I don't want ME to be famous.
I want my music to be popular among people.

If you really dedicated yourself and practiced intensely, you could probably become an extremely skilled musician. If you're serious, study music theory, maybe take a couple classes. The technical skill required to play an instrument is only one part of becoming a great musician.

guy from---> just saw >I just want to leave some kind of legacy before I die
Have kids then, thats what 99% of the population does to leave a legacy and it's a lot more important.
However if you want to be remember in the social consciousness as a great artist, gl. Even if you make the best game/song you might still never get the recognition deserved. See great artists are great because they have acolytes who promote their work.
For instance Van Gogh died as a semi-obscure run of the mill impressionist painter. It was only once his brother and sister in law made it a life goal to get his worked recognized that he began to gain some traction. Had they not he would have been forgotten forever.

you won't be remembered like that most likely due to plenty of reasons. shoot for Toby Fox or Mick Gordon first

how much does technique takes to learn?

5 years?
10 years?

Well, that's kind of the risk.
But I still want to remembered after I die.

I want to make beautifull things because I'm a very creative person.
It's like you need to be creative, you need to make art, is like a necesity for you.

But I can't be good at everything, so I rather focus on one skill.
I was trying to see if I could become a writer, but is something I don't enjoy (literature).
My passion are videogames and I would love to work there, even if the pay is shit.

If you can endure the tone of it, watch the interview:
youtube.com/watch?v=UDYzuwG-gOE
Especially considering the statement:
>I just want to leave some kind of legacy before I die, but I'm not sure if I can reach a master skill in five years and at my age.

It depends on how much you practice, what instrument you're playing, and if you have any natural talent. Being able to play at a reasonable level probably shouldn't take less than five years for most instruments, although it will take you longer to become proficient than if you had started younger. This shouldn't put you off though, playing an instrument is fun, and it feels amazing to see yourself getting better and better.
Regular practice is the most important thing though, even a couple minutes a day is better than a couple hours once a week or month.

Thanks, any case of famous musician who are late bloomers?

iirc Michael Gira didn't start til his late 20s

If you Google it, you can probably find examples. And good doesn't always mean famous, and vice versa. When you're making music try not to focus on becoming famous, but instead on making something you enjoy.

>What I mean by recognition is to be able to reach the level of beauty classical music has, something like nobuo uematsu works, michiru yamane work in Castlevania SOTN.
>I want my music to be recognized and beautifull and famous.
You'r really reaching here and you should watch these video for some much needed perspective:
youtube.com/watch?v=5iubDTkT3Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=utqp7ECKUl0

the recently passed Charles Bradley didn't put out his first album until 2011, when he was 63 years old – it's never too late to start.

>using a keyboard to make video game music

What do you do in your life?

neetbucks and depression.

I'm schizo.

at 29?

holy fucking shit dude

At least I'm not starving.

starving for an actual life. get yourself together or an hero. take your pick.

How long have you been waiting to do this for? How long have you been putting it off to the side?

>I'm schizo.

Are you really? Like hearing voices and shit?

based

bro i was in your situation. can you do spreadsheets and email? self employ yourself in online retail. one trip to the post office a day, everything else is online. stay at home, make your own schedule and work on music

Not so much about hearing voices, but talking alone and shit.

I've wasted 7 years trying to make games, I give up on that.

It seems there's a multimedia online course from my country sort of comunity college (more like a trade school) that last two years, going to take that one.

>self employ yourself in online retail.

How does that work? You mean becoming a seller on Ebay?

>Not so much about hearing voices, but talking alone and shit.
w-what do you mean? I "talk to myself" all the time but not out loud. Is it worse for you?

Whenever I'm alone I usually start walking in circles talking to myself loud.

That's interesting, where are you living? South America?

yeah.

Oh, I didn't know that was considered schizophrenia. I have a schizophrenic neighbor who's violent, crazy and has constant delusions about everything. You seem to be doing better at least

I'm indiphirentiated which is the weakest form, and I'm medicated since ten years ago.

I'm pretty normal, but I can't escape depression over being a loser.

You should make dungeon synth