Post-Rock is not a valid genre. Technically, punk is post-rock...

Post-Rock is not a valid genre. Technically, punk is post-rock. You can't call it post-rock because it often incorporates lyricism, samples and soundscapes that remind vaguely of a post-apocalyptic world, post-punk was a move away from punk while still keeping the edge it had, post-rock is just a label put on cressendo-core bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gdVBxfXmdYU
bionicle.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Games
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he didn't hear tortoise
>he didn't hear talk talk
>he didn't understand the genre because he didn't read the wiki page, but maybe do that instead of cluttering the board next time
thanks

in what sense is tortoise post rock exactly

these guys actually made a bionicle RPG wtf
youtu.be/gdVBxfXmdYU

Retard.

bionicle.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Games
>you will NEVER walk two miles to Wal-Mart with the pennies you've been saving for six months to buy the red Bionicle man brand new
He was the only one I was missing and then they went and moved over to Toa Nuva. So lame.

someone whanna explain how emperor tomato ketchup and f#a#infinity are the same fuckin genre

It's a loose grouping initially made in hindsight to describe a disparate collection of bands making cutting edge pop / rock and then homogenized into the squillion Godspeed / EITS clones we have today.

It's not an aesthetic label when taken as a whole unless you are only talking about mid-2000's onward when the homogenization became rampant.

We have this discussion constantly.

Friendo, you're falling for OP's bait

Where else will I be able to talk about Lego ?

well buddy, thing is, crescendocore teenagers stole the term because some of the bands who actually had anything to do with the genre sounded like that. now people think the genre is only crescendocore while it's actually something else. of course you could make the linguistic argument that a word is how it's used, not what etymologically meant - but let's not.

post-rock is a style of music that borrows the instrumentation from rock music but without its silly antics. it's about atmosphere, and the instruments are used to make soundscapes. this also means that traditional song structures are not used. an early characteristic for the genre is heavy krautrock influence, which tortoise has a lot of (minimalism, motorik). because of that last point bands like stereolab, moonshake or pram have become associated with the post-rock movment, even though they don't adhere to the first part of the description. point is, tortoise is post-rock, stereolab ain't, and just because explosions in the sky is post-rock doesn't mean tortoise isn't.

post-rock is the conclusion of rock music

simon reynolds (the guy who coined the term) immediately moved on to rave and electronic music after being into punk and rock for 20+ years

Godspeed is third wave and stereo lab is first. First wave post rock is an incredibly large umbrella so it's kind of dumb that it even became a term (not for any of the reasons OP is suggesting though) but music critics love creating new labels, it's their artform.

>getting into dance music in your 40's
lol what a loser

What genre would you call Vision Creation Newsun?

psychedelic krautrock revival

psychedelic noise rock

Now don't you think it's dumb to state that post-rock is the conclusion of rock music, only for something not post-rock to appear years after the term was coined that gave an entirely new spin on rock music? In fact Boredoms pretty much did this for their whole career.

tons of what is called post-rock can also be called another genre

tortoise is krautrock revival
talk talk is jazz rock
slint is post-hardcore
half of crescendo-core is rebranded prog rock

etc.

one of the lego generals in /toy/

i agree with you, thank you

I don't like /toy/.

You didn't answer my question.

>simon reynolds (the guy who coined the term) immediately moved on to rave and electronic music
huh, that's eerie

And are you now relabeling Vision Creation Newsun as post-rock? I'm not trying to start an argument, I just disagree with the notion of calling post-rock the conclusion to rock music and using some whatever dude as evidence because he wrote a book in 1998 about rave music when VCN came out a year later. Imagine the egg on his face.

>And are you now relabeling Vision Creation Newsun as post-rock?
yeah

It is now at this point that labels do not matter. Just wanted to get to this point. Thanks man.

nigger gybe is the epitome of music stfu

Poor man's Crash Badncioot - Purple Riptos Rampage. Even the music sounds like a bad ripoff