The new Bowie - left, the new Prince - right

>The new Bowie - left, the new Prince - right
Agree?

Other urls found in this thread:

nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
youtube.com/watch?v=o3txiixASfc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nah

fucking epic xD

>trying to leech attention off of Grimes' popularity

I'd actually switch, aside from their appearance. I think its just a little bit closer that way.

In my opinion Claire is more like Bjork. Grimes herself has rejected lofty comparisons but I have my reasons.

I agree with this, too. Prince had a more consistent style, as does Annie. Grimes and Bowie are all over the fucking place all the time.

This thread is already shit.

I like grimes too but Prince has an entirely different approach to music, from themes to instrumentation to lyrics

But both Prince and Grimes were obsessive about their music and both were multi-instrumentalist producers.

That gnome fucling bitch grimes wishes she had 1/10th of prince's talent

so I guess Grimes is therefore identical to Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder, and Questlove

And Prince and Annie are all about the hot guitar licks etc.

Hmmmmm damn you have a point.

But this is a better point!

>I have my reasons.
Like this?
>weird voices
>quirky, playful personalities
>strange fashion sense
>interesting live shows
>acclaimed electronic music
>dedicated fanbase
>obscure albums before the proper breakthrough albums (Grimes has Geidi Primes & Halfaxa, Bjork has S/T album from 1977)
>eclectic music taste.

Prince could actually play an instrument well though

Grimes too. She makes great music using her instruments.

Disappointing

Yep. Thanks user!

>women making music

le quirky button-pressing girl is definitely comparable to Prince's guitar playing.

And Prince liked having sex with famous women while Claire smokes meth. That's another thing they have in common.

And don't forget that prince was known for his unique fashion sense while Claire looks like she steals all of her clothes from donation bins.

They're practically clones!

Do you ever get tired of shitposting? You couldn't possibly actually believe this

>weird voices
I actually don't mind Grimes' voice, but Bjork's is infinitely more powerful and versatile, they're not really comparable
>quirky, playful personalities
okay I guess
>strange fashion sense
Grimes kind of dresses like crap desu, Bjork's fashion lays a major role in her art and is much more interesting and thoughtful than Grimes'
>interesting live shows
Never seen a Grimes live show so I couldn't say
>acclaimed electronic music
Grimes just kind of makes pop music though right? Visions and AA aren't even in the same league as stuff like Medulla, Biophilia, or Homogenic.
>dedicated fanbase
sure I guess
>obscure albums before the proper breakthrough albums (Grimes has Geidi Primes & Halfaxa, Bjork has S/T album from 1977)
Are Geidi Primes & Halfaxa that obscure? They're by far the best she's ever done and she was already working professionally when she made them.
>eclectic music taste.
No offences but Grimes has pretty shallow tastes that anyone could have. Bjork's love of Joni's albums with Jacko, Meredith Monk, and all the rest teach you more about her music and places her in a distinct lineage of female innovators

why does grimes have the nose of an african?

Bad genes

Stop making excuses for yourself

>Annie being the new Bowie
Possible
>Grimes being the new anything
kill yourself

Grimes is the new Kate Bush
Get over it

Grimes might be strongly reminiscent of David Bowie from a stylistic/aesthetic point of view, but operationally speaking she is undeniably in very much the same ballpark as Prince. Hence why comparisons between Grimes and David Bowie + Prince (St. Vincent is, if anything, just a female David Byrne) are well-founded and canonical outside of /mu (eg. see nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377 )

Still don't get the comparisons between Grimes and Bjork (eg. notice how this purported list of similarities is actually just a list of DISSIMILIARITIES they share - ie. it says NOTHING about them being similar to each other.) They also have conflicting artistic/musical aesthetics. Bjork's art is all about making the mainstream into the obscure. Grimes' art is all about making the obscure mainstream.

>Grimes' art is all about making the obscure mainstream.

holy shit kys

You're so full of shit.

Grimes is better than Prince, not sure about Left never really listened to

Shut up, you dummy. You must be a woman.

troll harder

>Annie Clark - left; Grimes - right
Am I the only one who feels this was?

>mediocre indie woman is the artist of a generation

your whole life must feel like a troll to your parents

90% of that applies to most pop musicians

>woman who makes album after album of passionate, genre-bending working

No u

mommy annie

Why are all Grime waifushitters so delusional? They truly think she's some kind of avant-garde genius and saying otherwise is trolling

>think
user, just say you don't understand her music.

Everything you said is bullshit. Discarded.

Disliking their opinions =/= her fans being delusional. You just don't like their opinions. Deal with it.

At this point grimesfags probably need to be classified as an entirely separate species

No, you're objectively batshit insane and fantastically obnoxious.

prince was a manlet who needed to make up for his height, so he played really bad pop music that would sell well
accept the fact that grimes is and always will be better than prince

Be nice to Grimes

>I actually don't mind Grimes' voice, but Bjork's is infinitely more powerful and versatile, they're not really comparable
The point was that both are weird, not that one is more powerful than the other. Still, Bjork could be very annoying.
>Grimes kind of dresses like crap desu, Bjork's fashion lays a major role in her art and is much more interesting and thoughtful than Grimes'
Just your opinion. Grimes is very fashionable as you can see in pic related. She also never wore retarded dresses like that swan dress.
>Grimes just kind of makes pop music though right?
It's electronic quirky pop or art pop. Same category as Bjork's first 4 albums. It's not ordinary pop but experimental pop with tons of influences.
>Visions and AA aren't even in the same league as stuff like Medulla, Biophilia, or Homogenic.
True. They're much better. Less pretentious, more melodic, more creative, more memorable, more focused. Grimes would never make dull albums like Medulla and Biophilia.
>Are Geidi Primes & Halfaxa that obscure? They're by far the best she's ever done and she was already working professionally when she made them.
They really are. There are even Grimes fans who have no idea about them. These 2 albums were more like demos and they didn't even chart.
>No offences but Grimes has pretty shallow tastes that anyone could have.
Her taste is very diverse and eclectic: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style Taste is subjective anyway.
>Bjork's love of Joni's albums with Jacko, Meredith Monk, and all the rest teach you more about her music and places her in a distinct lineage of female innovators
So what? Grimes is more innovative than all of these artists put together. That's why she will get a legend status in the future.

>fantastically obnoxious.
You're too triggered by mere words. Take your chill pills.

I don't care about Prince. Doesn't change the fact grimes is a meth-smoking lisper who dresses like shit, practices terrible hygiene, and will not be remembered in 10 years.

>Grimes is more innovative than Jaco Pastorius
how the fuck can someone even be this retarded

Grimes is far more experimental than Prince. Prince could never make something like Halfaxa not even in 10000 years.

There's zero chance you have even one IRL friend

Post something innovative by Pastorius. Let's compare it with Grimzzz.

these fucking retards cant even touch the talent that david and prince have and I don't even like prince

She'd probably be embarrassed by her Sup Forums fanbase. Is that nice enough?

Tell me what Grimes did innovative first, you made the claim

I have 10 friends. Cheers.

Maybe you should actually listen to Grimes

sort of, artist comparisons like this are stupid though

>Grimes cites the following as influences: Marilyn Manson,[78] Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Enya, Kate Bush, Beyoncé, Bikini Kill, Joanna Newsom, Burial,[79] Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel,[80] Blue Hawaii, How to Dress Well,[81] Cocteau Twins,[82] Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Panda Bear, Tool,[77] Dandi Wind,[83] Outkast, the Dungeon Family, New Edition, TLC, Michael Jackson, Black Dice, Aphex Twin, Nine Inch Nails,[84] Skinny Puppy, the Spice Girls,[85] Jedi Mind Tricks,[86] Paramore,[87] Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Yoko Kanno, Kenji Kawai,[88] David Bowie, Queen, St. Vincent, Mindless Self Indulgence, Chris Isaak,[89] Salem, Al Green,[90] and Blink-182,[91] as well as the Dune novels,[79] The Godfather Part II,[80] K-pop,[92] artist Yayoi Kusama, The Legend of Zelda, Akira,[88] and medieval music.[90]
Wow... it's worse than I thought

>mostly p4kcore and pop shit
>good taste

>Zelda
DROPPED

She has more important things to do than caring about a random moo fanbase made of anons. Even if she cared, I'm sure she would approve this liberal enclave in this obnoxius misogynist / sexist board.

You're trying too hard. I bet your taste is much worse.
>being this hipster

>there are some widely-hated Sup Forumsfags therefore the whole board is sexist and misogynist
oh and btw with the way that you're using sexist (against women), you're saying the same thing twice

>criticizing p4k taste is hipster
>implying p4k isn't hipster as fuck

Am I supposed to be impressed by this ordinary restaurant music? youtube.com/watch?v=o3txiixASfc Give me Halfaxa any time. That's experimental pop.

You still haven't told me anything that Grimes did that was innovative, user. Admitting that you're too pleb for Jaco doesn't help your argument either.

I'm not in the mood for that. Search the archives - there are tons of discussions related to that.

Her foot game is never before seen.

>yeah bro I totally have an argument I just don't feel like making it but don't worry I definitely have it
I accept your concession

>Admitting that you're too pleb for Jaco doesn't help your argument either.
I'm not pleb for disliking such ordinary music. There's nothing special about it. I've heard this kind of trash countless times before. I have high standards, bro.

Are you sure that you listened to it? Name something that did what he did with the bass before it. You've heard a bass song with almost exclusively natural harmonics? You must have if it sounds so ordinary.

IMHO grimes is the new kraftwerk

2 noise albums, 1 comercial album, 1 pop album, and so on

2 commercial albums and 2 very ethereal albums, none of them even get CLOSE to noise

Oblivion is the rightful succesor of Autobahn. Dat bassline! She's also more complex than Kraftwerk.

I just don't like it and I don't see the innovation in his music. It's just an opinion.

there is objectively innovation in his music though, your opinion in that regard is wrong. I can say some bullshit like "the sky is actually red it just looks blue", and it may be my opinion but it's wrong.

Janelle Monae is the new Prince.

did she produce her own music like prince and grimes?

I apologize for my behavior to grimes fans in this thread. Grimes is good and I hope you all have a nice night

Thanks

you're fucking gay, op

t. grimes fan

good night, friend

>using gay as insult
Are you 12?

don't worry we're all friends

grimes should be the new kurt cobain in that she should blow her head off with a shotgun

thank you

>grimes
>experimental
please fuck off back to pitchfork

i never actually made the connection between grimes fans and SJWs before. this really explains so much, i've never felt such mental clarity. thanks for the gamma brainwaves my dude

>lol u just don't geddit user
>muh subjectivity

>hipster
where the fuck do you think you are

>but she produces her own music guise!
i would rather hear good production done by an actual producer. in the end, the music is the end product and the bottom line. anything beyond that is theatrical bullshit

why did an ugly get beautiful tattooed on her hand? is she one of those ironic chicks?

She is beautiful, user.

>this challenged by a woman's confidence in herself in 2017

I feel so bad for you

If it sounded like shit that would be one thing, but it all sounds exquisite

>liberal enclave
Libertarian, actually. Modern "liberals" are too narrow minded to foster honest conversation on an ongoing basis.

The fact that you hold this opinion about liberals generically makes you look hypocritical in this post.

bump

>opinion
Based on experience - my opinions have nothing to do with it. Actual classical liberals don't have such hang-ups.

A tattoo artist in New Zealand offered it to her in exchange for a free ticket to one of her concerts.