Should we do away with the electoral college system?

Should we do away with the electoral college system?

Other urls found in this thread:

richmond.com/news/virginia/jmu-student-gets---days-in-prison-for-registering/article_577ec944-75ad-58d8-b706-d658c186cd57.html
wtop.com/virginia/2016/09/organization-accused-of-registering-dead-people-to-vote/
denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/22/cbs4-investigation-finds-dead-voters-casting-ballots-in-colorado/
nationalreview.com/article/450413/registered-voters-outnumber-eligible-voters-least-462-counties
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no
MAGA

Nope. I don't want NY and CA making any decisions for the whole country

Yes, the only people that are even smart enough to make decisions live in NY and CA. Look at what happened with Trump, you let retards vote, you get retards voted in.

Of course.
Why the hell should some dumbfuck's vote in Wyoming count 4 times as much as mine?

do you actually believe that crock of shit?

A useless discussion. You will need 3/4 of the states to do this amendment, and good luck convincing many tiny states to give up some of their power so giant blue states can have even more to do things the tiny states don't want.

/thread

that depends. can we make it so that only property owners can vote? if so, then yes.

Why the fuck would you want that?

Trump supporters are the most uneducated people in the country, there is no hiding that. Look at the educated vote vs the non educated vote and where they voted. Republicans are just made up inbred rednecks that only know how to scream, "Benghazi!" and Immugrants" Thats why they keep saying, you got conned. Complete retards.. look at what happened... MORE JUBS LESS IMMUGRANTS, they rape your taxes and then take your internet and all you do is bend over and ask for another :D

We should, and each state only counts as 1 vote, you either win the state or you don't. This would encourage the candidates to campaign in every state rather than a dozen or so of the most populated ones.

As much as the idea of it seems wrong to me, I have to agree with this. Look at movies, TV, books, anything that represents the so called culture of the US and it's all from NY or CA. The same way every show ever is set in those two places, every decision about the country would be made as if only those two states existed. Not a huge fan of Trump because I think he scammed everyone, but he did connect with the rest of the country that feels ignored. All those red states were filled with people who felt abandoned by the NY and CA assholes who presume to speak for everyone and have their heads so far up their asses they can't even conceive of issues happening outside their "world". The electoral college is flawed but it's better than the alternative.

>Illinois fag
>We voted right
>Still lost
>But not our fault
>Get gud and vote faggots

because property owners either come from any reasonable amount of money (any family that makes more than 35k per year almost certainly owns property if they live outside of a city) and it generally filters out most minorities demographics (whether racial or personality-based) other than asians.

This is even worse.
One person, One vote.
The president isn't representing fucking states they should represent every citizen equally.

So fucken this.... So many red state people actually believed this bafoon, and they got conned. Now they are all embarassed that they voted for this man, and try to justify his stupidity with whataboutism.

Nah, black people are. They go and vote straight Democrat with no thought of who they are even voting for. They're the biggest "Given" in the whole election process. The rednecks may not think too deeply, but at least they think in the first place.

No.

If you're upset it doesn't represent the wishes of the people, then change it so each state must divide delegates by % vote (see NH).

Entire point of the EC is to make smaller states more competitive than larger states, so they are not glossed over during an election. It has certainly achieved that.

everyone is ignorant to the culture of the south even though its THE BEST

Lol, you're fucked

hahaha butthurt over Alabama, get fukd republitard

It really is the only culture the US can really call uniquely its own.

... it’s also full of idiots and racists.

>racists.
not a bad thing tbqh

The Republicans love that shit as it has given them their last two presidencies.

I do find it interesting that two the four times (not counting the time that neither candidate got the majority and the House of Representatives decided who was president and gave it to the loser of both the popular and electoral vote, which is an even more fucked up thing to have happened) that the Electoral College has contradicted the popular vote have been in the last 20 years. The other two also happened in a similar time span, (1876 and 1888). I don't know much about the political history of the time, but I wonder if they had a similar deep divide between rural and urban voters.

Very true, this is America... It is the shameful and embarrassing part of the country with the most disgusting history, but it is their hurritage.

and yet the election was decided by two high population states. ohio and penn. were definites for clinton supposedly. two or three stops more in each of those states would have won clinton the campaign.

>it’s also full of idiots and racists
Yep, just like Cali and NY

As someone who just spent 12 years there...

FUCK THE SOUTH

Bunch of asshole, shitty driving, right wing, gun nut, retarded inbreds down there.

Especially fuck Atlanta.

Amen. Small and low population states are already over represented in Congress by having 2 senators.

The electoral college was created due to slavery. There are no more slaves.

One person. One vote.

no its the only thing keeping the coastal elites in check

florida amazes me, its full of niggers in every major city and its still a red state

This has nothing to do with that. Just pointing out that there's a huge population that affects the outcome of elections that is incapable of any thought process and vote straight democrat. I'm not debating Democrat vs Republican, just pointing out that if you want an example of the stupidest voters in the country, it's them. Trump supporters might be a close second, but even then it was just this once vs decades of wasting votes on negrofriends.

kill yourself

im not that guy. those generalizations are provable. i dont agree with his statement. just clarifying the thought behind it.

Right now it seems to be Ohio and Florida.

No. This country is a democratic republic, and there it shall stay

>Incest
>Annoying Accents
>Bible Thumping
>Embracing Ignorance as a Way of Life

Yeah no, the South is cancer.

fixed it, updated

Imagine how the Republicans would scream if Obama and Hillary won the EC, but lost the popular vote.

That's what we need. A dem or two becoming president while losing the popular vote would make the red states drop the EC asap.

Why the actual fuck do you guys like niggers so much. I have black friends and they support trump bc they're not retarded like stop

Nope. No one had an issue with it until Hillary lost.

Do away with your DNC rules that fucked all those Bernie voters. The DNC stole it from him for Clinton.

>"niggers"
>"Black friends"

Pick one

Sure they do. I live near Detroit. There's like 2 black trump supporters in the whole city.

And no one likes those guys.

I'm willing to bet that if you asked half the fags that said no in this thread the same question a little over a year ago the answers would be very different

2000 wolud like a word.

Can't wait for it to happen the other way.

>I have black friends
Ya I bet you also have a wife and your parents still love you

You can thank the panhandle and Jax for that.

Electoral college should stay. Low IQ southern dipshits should be euthanized.

Nice.

There is also a similar system in the primaries, and without it there would be no Obama because Hillary had him beaten in the 2008 primaries on popular votes.

Since I know OP doesn't know how it could be done away with, he is the exact reason it shouldn't be changed.

Fucking uninformed retards that want to fuck America.

Hey ASSHOLE....10% of the time the.popular vote winner loses the election.

Fucking dumbass.

No kidding. If Hillary had pulled that off, I bet there'd already be a serious attempt at impeachment and the right wing segment of the media would be screaming for a constitutional amendment. I also think it is funny as fuck as our Orange President is on record as hating the Electoral College until it gave him the office and then it suddenly became fair as fuck.

Just give them Mississippi. And build a wall.

The only opinion this thread needed

We live in a democracy of course the electoral college should be abolished. The people should choose who they want and every vote should count. That is why voter turnout is so low, why would I vote even vote in Cali if I am a Republican at all or a left winger in Mississippi?

The argument you hear time and time again is the election would be decided by New York and Cali. That is very untrue, and second why should they not matter more? Cali has 12% of the population of the entire. They of course SHOULD matter more in elections, same thing with New York. That being said this argument comes from a ultra right wing talking point created in the early 2000s after the first election was stolen from someone. The second most populated state, is Texas, the right wing haven. So if you are talking about where people are going to sit all day, it not be Cali and then New York, it would be Texas, and to add to that, Texas is growing faster than New York so it will even matter even more.

If you are not going to have a real democracy why even have one at all if you don't trust the people. This being said the day we abolish the electoral college is when a Republican loses because of it and wins the popular vote.

Remember this going around in 2008? I do. Suck it up buttercup.

time for the left to live up to their own meme

My brother

Kerry almost pulled it off in 04. About 100 k more votes in Ohio would have done it.

There's a reason this particular geographic location is full of violent, uneducated, teen pregnancy ridden, welfare dependent idiots.

Eugenics were a northern invention

Yes. I'm fine with Cali, NY, and FL deciding the fate of the country. They are for the most part intelligent, enlightened people. Fuck the rural, inbred, unpopulated fucktard areas of the county deciding shit.

are you fucking retarded

nu-Sup Forums where socially awkward progressive retards congregate with all their white friends who think you can't say nigger and have black friends

i literally call my black friends nigger all the time lighten up cupcake

Idgaf. I'm fine either way. But the system is retarded and should be fixed.

Think how you'd feel if Hillary became president while trump had 3 million more votes.

You'd be fucking livid. And Obama won in a popular vote and EC landslide, both times. Big difference.

yes.
It's practice was developed in a time where money bought votes.
It was meant to prevent a candidate from spending all their money in high population areas and winning.
Today we are all connected.
We all have the same information and can choose to be informed or biased.
Money and adds do not bias our vote.
Most ignore political adds and are annoyed by them.
Campaigns need to be regulated further and spending on campaigns should be done away with as well as the electoral college.

Lmao. How sweet it is

Obama lost in the primaries on popular vote to Hillary. Are you saying she should have been president?

>3 million more votes

Still counting those dead and double/triple votes in Cali eh?

Love the panhandle of FLA...great balance.

EDUCATED

yes

This

Literally no one takes into account the mass swarms of black people.

And to those of yolu with rebuttals like:
>hurr durr Southern whites oppressed them
Majority of hate crimes happened up north

They'll want to change it as soon as the Mexicans turn Texas blue. Hell, it would be blue already if the Dems spent enough time and money there.

>it's
Two words in and you prove you don't even know how to use English. Your opinion is invalid.

remember when alabama was already blue

remember when every southern state was blue

because the democratic party supported slavery

faggot ass

Oh STFU with this bullshit excuse. Or provide proof, either one.

Democratic REPUBLIC

A republic with democratic tendencies

Florida Native here. Have you ever been to Florida? 'enlightened' and 'educated' is not quite how I would describe Floridians.

*Its
You happy?
Grammar /= English.

That's a party's primary, so your comparison is apples to oranges at best. But she probably should have been given the nomination in 08, with Obama as VP.

If you'd like to enjoy a tyranny of the majority, sure.

>apples to oranges

Hey, it's 2017. His feelings are just as good as your "facts" and "evidence".

Better than the tyranny of the minority we have now.

As someone who moved to NC I can confirm this. It fucking sucks. They infest the place and half the whites started acting black. I'm out the first chance I get. Fuck this. Don't even hate them. Just a shit culture that makes for a depressing place to live.

ya thanks for the history lesson...
as if the southern strategy never existed, didn't work, and you don't own the fascists now...

How would you like me to prove something that is swept under by all parties involved?

Don't tell me it didn't happen.

richmond.com/news/virginia/jmu-student-gets---days-in-prison-for-registering/article_577ec944-75ad-58d8-b706-d658c186cd57.html

wtop.com/virginia/2016/09/organization-accused-of-registering-dead-people-to-vote/

denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/22/cbs4-investigation-finds-dead-voters-casting-ballots-in-colorado/

nationalreview.com/article/450413/registered-voters-outnumber-eligible-voters-least-462-counties

>i do not understand proportional representation

no then idiots would decide elections.

because the tyranny of the majority = democracy, yes i would.
are you suggesting that the tyranny of the minority is better?

The South is Red because Lyndon Johnson gave blacks their civil rights in 1965 and the racist pricks of the south been red ever since that day.

Gllad youre triggered you ueducated dumb fucking hick

>i do not understand proportional representation

That's what the Senate is for.

Good luck getting rid of the electoral college, which would require amending the Constitution, which would require at least 38 states to approve the amendment, which would require numerous states to vote against their own interests.

The electoral college was devised as a way of giving smaller states more of an actual say in Presidential elections instead of having their votes drowned out by the more largely populated states. Basically, without the electoral college, every single Presidential election in modern America would be decided by the people of California, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Florida. The 44 other states and the population of DC wouldn't have a say. The best they could hope for is that those 6 states voted for the guy they wanted anyway. But either way, 12% of the states would be choosing the President for the other 88%. Amending the Constitution requires 76% of states to approve it. Do you see why even super liberals in politics and the media acknowledge why the electoral college is never going away, and we just have accept that this is just the way our Presidential elections work?

>tyranny of the majority = democracy

Oh Christ. You're a testament to our failed school system.

the greatest trick the republican party ever pulled was convincing white rural farmers that inner city black people were the problem.

Of course we should get rid of it. It's completely arcaic and makes no sense.

We already have a representative republic. That's segmented by local communities in the way of Congress. We already have a state representation via the Senate. The President is meant to be direct population choice, and balanced by the republic represented legislature. The President is and should constitute the democracy part of the American democracy.

There are no current day valid defenses of the electoral college.
And if you think there is, you're only politically bias because your party was able to use the math of it to gain power. It's that simple.

How the fuck could you even be on Sup Forums and call someone else a hick? You know this place isn't for fucking leisurely popular socialite college faggots, right?
You people are disgusting

From Tallahassee

Most people here are retarded, and they are from FSU
I distinctly remember a few girls coming from either first Friday or some other event, but they were with some peace grouth supporting equality.
I go to TCC (community college) and was on the bus with them, and these three black guys were causing such a nuisance. The two at the front of the bus were talking about how he and His name basically wife swapped, his cracker neighbor plowed his wife at his house, while he was fucking the white guys "chink" wife in his
The one behind me got into a fight with his girlfriend and started beating her when we got to the bus plaza.

They were silent and quite awkward the entire ride, with the faces of people who had second thoughts on their notions of reality.