Learning Hungarian

Hi, guys. My grandparents on my father's side were immigrants from Hungary after WW2, however, as immigrants my grandfather decided he would not teach his children to speak Hungarian and wanted them to assimilate into Australian society.

I've always thought this was kind of sad and am now In a place I want to start to try and learn the language

I did a little bit of Japanese in high school but otherwise only speak English.

I thought I would ask anyone here who is learning or has learnt Hungarian as a 2nd language how to go about it for an absolute beginner or what mistakes to avoid.

Hungarian native tips and tricks are of course also welcome.

Thanks Sup Forumselligent guys

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/hungarian/
weeklylanguage.com/2016/08/hungarian.html
babadum.com/play/?lang=23&game=1).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hello there, Duolingo has a Beginner's course for Hungarian, you might want to give it a try.

Also you might find some helpful posts here:

reddit.com/r/hungarian/

To learn hungarian first you must have a deep hatred in your heart for things that happened hundreds of years ago.
Then you buy a horse and go raiding villages with the other mongols

Sounds fun actually.

Isnt learning hungarian mandatory in austrian schools or something?

start by watching Hungarian films with English subs

for example Szindbád, Kontroll, Mephisto, The Fifth Seal, Liza the Fox Fairy, The Witness, Somewhere in Europe, Sodrásban

Where do you live? My sister lives in Perth, married to an Aussie and she is a language teacher able to teach English, Japanese and Hungarian.

also, anything from Károly Makk

are you the aussie whose relatives escaped hungary to avoid persecution?

its a difficult language for an anglo, pronounciation is very different, sentence structure, verbs, everything

if you arent exposed to it i dont know how youll do it, do you know any diasporas?

I live in New South Wales. I could do some sort of skype lessons perhaps?

Found this for you:

weeklylanguage.com/2016/08/hungarian.html

Duolingo has a course on Hungarian, and Ba Ba Dum has one (vocab) as well (babadum.com/play/?lang=23&game=1). BaBaDum is awesome btw.

>weeklylanguage.com/2016/08/hungarian.html

thank you so much for this, great list for getting to the movies

yes I am that Aussie.

I don't know any diaspora except I can talk to my cousin in Budapest a bit. My grandmother sadly is no longer able to communicate (she is 93 and very sick)

Perhaps.

i guess youtube or anything hungarian can help

Why would you want to learn an irrelevant language?

hungarian is a mongrel language and hungary is shit

Okay, Abu Bakr

I am a Greek

>Hi, guys. My grandparents on my father's side were immigrants from Hungary after WW2

JEW!

This flag disgusts me

Duolingo might be a place to start.
You are going to have to be patient though. Hungarian are one of the absolute hardest European languages to learn, as it not even part of the Indo-Eurpean language family.

I'd feel the same way, too, if I had to post under an unoriginal copy of the Russian flag with the stolen coat of arms of my neighbor

It was less than ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO when the traitors carved up our nation. You filthy gypsy thief, Transylvania will be ours again.

agree, slovakian is a really ugly flag

his granpa was a gov. official, probably actively taking part in holocaust, thats why they escaped :p

hungarian flag is uglier

Or parhaps he were one of the ones who realized that his country wasn't magically going to become free and prosperous just because the war was over.

kurva anyátok

It was never coat of arms of Hungary, l2history. And there is nothing stolen about panslavic flags, 2 slovaks even started it. Tho Hungarian flag is absolutely disgusting, Arpad stripes are aesthethic but some retard decided for boring tricolor with FUCKING GREEN in it

ahahahahahahah