Tell me Sup Forums, why do you continue to work for a cuck wage and don't become a business owner?

Tell me Sup Forums, why do you continue to work for a cuck wage and don't become a business owner?

>Ask a business owner anything

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/83a0ieDTYPM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do you recommend schooling for business? Also how much money did it cost to start your business? I'm actually interested in starting a business myself. Not sure what kind of business yet.

find out what type of business before venturing out. I recommend you do something you at least have basic knowledge of. I didn't go to college but I'm def not a brainlet. I just didn't think spending 25k+ on college education and 4 years of my life were worth the investment.

Now what position were thoes welds they look decent

3G vertical up fluxcore weld test on half inch plate

as someone wasting their time in college i should have not gone

are you the guy trying to start a business?

very nice i always struggled with making my vups look nice

nope just regretting my life im failing college anyway so idfk

She is one of my students, it's a picture she took at a welding lab while testing for a contractor.

Tell me some basic things about you maybe I can give you some advice.

I know it's all about location, but you mind rating my business idea?
>Fancier part of town
>Surprisingly, very few Starbucks in this area
>Very few eateries period
Anyway, the idea
>Sit-down coffee shop
>Dark wooden walls, deep blue chairs and booths
>Nice smooth jazz playing in the background
>Try to be as soothing an atmosphere as possible
>All different kinds of coffee beans and stuff to make sure you can get whatever you're in the mood for
>I've worked in coffee shops all throughout college and learned to make the best shit from an old italian lady
>So I'd have gravity filters, french presses, an espresso machine, frothers, drips, pour overs, iced coffee, cold brew, maybe even a blender to make frappes with in the summer
>Would sell a few select pastries but focus on making lunch/dinner dishes that would complement well with coffee

yeah in hs i was taking college welding my junior year and my senior i co tough it with a friend and i was teaching myself how to do vup with oxy-acetylene

Stress isn't worth it for me. I'd rather run a 4 or 5 man crew and make you enough money that you say "no problem man" when I ask for that fat salary, and I'm good enough at my trade that I get it. I'm more than content at $1000+ a week, and not having to worry about insurance, liability, payroll, payroll taxes, quarterly taxes, retainers, commissions, payments, invoicing, etc. Just give me my check. If you can't make payroll, there is another company 3 blocks down that can.

I am too stupid and do not have balls to run a business.

Brick and mortars are shit, particularly food. Overhead against profit margin is insane especially when you factor in start up costs. 90% of food start ups fail in the first year due to this.

You got the location idea right, do some research and see if you can find what is the average income for the people in the neighborhood, check out how well other businesses do in the area, look at public information regarding rent for the locations available.
The idea sounds pretty cool that coffee shop would be a good place to read a book at and unwind. You got to have the right people around it that will see it in that light though. Nice, what do you do now?
I see where you're coming from. I'm past the point of having to be at work too long and enjoy setting my own schedule. I have someone to take care of the payroll and invoice side of things. My wife is an accountant so it works out wonderfully.

my advisor started by dicking me over with giving me bad info and then i got lazy and its my fault and ill own up to it but in general i always preferred working over school any time

coffee shops in fancy parts of town are always a good idea.
focus on the coffee first, once established, get the food.

youtu.be/83a0ieDTYPM

Waste my time in college(im studying manufacturing with 2 minors in metals and safty)

I forgot to answer your question about the start up capital. I started with 4,000 dollars after receiving my income tax one year.

School isn't for everyone, I wish more highschools understood that.
It's not as hard as you seem to think.

Manufacturing as in engineering or what?

Thanks.
Hopefully my dreams will not become memes

What do you mean?

good luck user, I wish you well in your business endeavors.

yeah alot of theoretical math and machining/drafting but there are some interesting classes such as casting and shit but all those start at like 6PM and everyone tells me ill be in the shop till 1AM and thats kinda hard to do when my college has my other primary classes at like 8am

That sounds really shitty, what uni do you attend? What do you plan to work as if you were to finish your degree?

>Past having to work everyday

No such thing in my trade. If it ain't 50 hours a week, it's a part time job. I have yet to meet an owner that didn't work 8 days a week, and have their wife help them 7 days a week. I like being able to say "fuck this shit" every now and then.

i attend a college in platteville WI and the degree called industrial studies and its supposed to get me a guaranteed floor manager job but i dont even know i love hard labor and all that i really dont mind but all these jobs fucking suck. id like to maybe build car parts or something i have buddies that went to technical college in diesel engines and hes making $40 an hour and hes signing a contract in Alaska for $65 an hour

I didn't say I didn't work every day, I said I'm not at work too long. I go in a few hours every day during the mornings. I only take off Sundays and even then I'm doing things on my computer at times. Owning a business it's not for everyone. Some people find it easier to be told what to do and not worry too much am I right?

Not to mention im like 35K in debt and i still have a year and a half left

it doesn't unless you want it to.

Sounds like you fucked up on your career choice. College is a meme for the average man trying to be someone in life. You're also setting yourself up for failure after graduating with debt without even having a job that will offset that debt. I recommend you drop out and get into a paid apprenticeship with a craft union if you're in the USA. They will pay you to learn their craft and after a couple of years increase your pay. I know plenty of Union welders and pipe fitters making 40+/hr plus per diem and benefits. Most only finished highschool.

You can tell me anything you want for $1500 a week, sure. I'll fix a busted sewer main with a smile. I'll even fuck your wife for you if you can't be troubled with it.

trust me it keeps me up thinking about it in the summers i do work for the shit show of a company safelight(belron)

I don't know how I feel about $1,500 usd per week.
Get out before you accumulate more debt.

Half those welders can't read at eighth grade level either in my experience dude. I know dudes smoking crystal meth right now making $80 an hour welding up pipelines. There were some boys on my job today bombing down some weed for $60 an hour welding on the side of the highway

Of all the dub shit ive done in my life i only regret going to college right after hs i should have waited and accumulated any income and got into something i wanted to do

Yep. Them boys know how to get it done.
I don't know what else to tell you user. Should have could have and would have don't work. Go with your gut and change your path.

That's alright, if your employees ain't making you that kind of profit margin, then it's not justified. My crews average $100,000 USD monthly invoice with an average of $40,000 monthly over head(including payroll), if I'm working with brand new equipment. But that's only if I'm being well compensated. But hey if you want me to be thirsty, I'll just cut my production back so it's just enough to keep you in business until I find a better job, and leave without notice. Sometimes business owners just have to eat a month with no profit, and another month with under qualified staff right? Sometimes you gotta get outta the office and get hands on with the new guys ;) promise I won't lose sleep over your payments.

I agree with getting out and helping the new ones.
What part of the country do you work out of?

And who long do you think you health will last a a welder ?

Why not both?

Real job provides me stable income, health insurance, retirement, stock options. And vacation days, which I'll sometimes use for:

Contract job. I usually quote those jobs $150-200/hour. Might take a vacation day from my real job to do a side gig, some jobs I'll do on a weekend. A quick one-day job is an easy $1000.

I own a welding school and fabrication shop I'm not a welder.

Any of you know what this is or even use 1 ?
welding fumes and radiation fucks your whole body !

>by own a business I mean I’m a self employed blue collar laborer who couldn’t get into a four year program so I justify my failure by acting like day to day job insecurity is somehow winning compared to an actual career.

I suppose that works as well user! I just don't like having anyone else to report to and enjoy making my own decisions. While compromising with customers is important I rather deal with them than having a 'boss'
Sorry user we can't force anyone to wear those around here. I agree with you though.

Welding fumes damage the brain, nervous system & vital organs

Dat some bird shit welding son

Stop projecting, how do you like clocking in every morning and working during the holidays?

I started my own app business Orandasoft LLC

jokes on you, i dont work and i dont have a wage.

You are what makes Sup Forums great.

i am a business owner and things aren't going great rn
or ever
anyway i wouldn't trade it for a regular job

Put your runs closer together, that looks shithouse m8

What industry are you in user?
Sorry bossman these are just generic pictures of people who have come through the shop. The girl who welded that passed her test though.

Obvious b8

I can work from home and decide when I work. The only thing I have to worry about is self-employed taxes are ridiculous thanks to libtards going CORPORATIONS ARE ALL EVIL MILLIONAIRES. Btw, everyone go to my website and download swap tiles orandasoftllc.com

It won't let me reply to your comment directed at my comment, but I'm out the southeast OP.

You should get sacked for thinking shit like that is fine

Welding fumes damage the brain, nervous system & vital organs

I totally get it user, I enjoy doing whatever the fuck I want whenever I want. There are plenty of ways to get around those taxes though. I'm not from the US and I don't really see what is the big deal in this country about taxation. Super easy to avoid and get around while benefitting your own business too.
I mostly operate in TX and Oklahoma

You're making too many assumptions here. A 3rd party welding laboratory passed her test and Xrays came back good, get your thumb out of your ass.

autism damages my fucking sides and my stomach

I don’t have my own business but I do equipment financing loans (no school training) and make 100k a year, there’s lots of high paying jobs out there.

tbh, it isnt an investment, and turns out not to have been worth the expense for most people, but the debt we rack up in 4 or 8 or god forbid 12 years, keeps us suckling the teat and showing up every couple fridays with our hand out, instead of taking on risk and starting businesses.

when you take into consideration what the modern US college education system was built for, and how it was done, this is no big surprise. It was made not for any noble purpose, but to create a minimally competent factory floor working class workforce in the british industrial style, after the great war when the farmboys didnt want to go back to their farms. it has never been intended to foster creativity or maximize human potential. College is a business, which creates warm bodies to fill seats, conformists who will man the workstations, keep out of trouble, and pay their taxes. Venturing off into the wilds of business, is for tye wealthy and the crazy.

Those PAPR fresh air welding hood systems suck a mean dick. Try wearing one of those things for 8hrs a day in tight positions for at least one year. You won't be able to walk normally.

Ok have fun when you lose normal brain function and motor kills & lung cancer

I agree with your viewpoint user. It's a good thing though, someone has to keep the wheel turning.
Would you like to come do a presentation at the shop? You're directing your warnings at the wrong person. There are MSDS' and Warnings posted through out the facility.

I dont have any special skills or interests but I want to start a small business since college is definitely not in my future

Can anyone suggest a business that I can start with little or no experience that has a low start-up cost?

>I have no illusions avout getting rich, I just want to be self-supporting

Libtard here. I own a corporation. For $143, you can too. There is a difference, and we’re well aware, thx.

I used this every day how is you health and mental health ? I dont weld anymore because it dammaged my health and dont think it wont do the same to you or send you mad heavy metal are toxic to the body in many ways

It's a necessary evil I'm afraid. I'm doing just fine and while I appreciate your concern, I can't walk around the shop forcing the guys to wear them. We had an issue with a guy losing consciousness because he overheated while wearing one of those and according to our safety investigation and Texas Department of Public health recommendations it is best for them not to wear them. Nothing I can do.
You won't be successful if you just pop a business idea all of a sudden. You need to be good at or at least knowledgeable about something before venturing out and doing it or profit or at least to break even. Tell me about yourself and what skills or talents you have.

America has no regulations and dont give a fuck about people.

In Australia we are better payed have better safety standards and better Quality standards
No you cant force people to ware respiratory protection but do you educate your workers on the danger and hazards of welding fumes ?

OP has convinced himself everyone wants to be a welder

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can own a business and do whatever you want. This is what I do though.
I agree regulations are very lax in shops, chemical plants and refineries are very strict though. We hold a safety meeting every day to remind everyone of the hazards and review potential issues on a day to day basis.

I would but I live in Australia was a welder and a safety officer

Where you at I need some exhaust work done

You may as well buy a brand new manifold and header system, with the ammount you will have to pay one of these guys. I recommend you do it yourself, there are cheap welders available, you could also make yourself a stainless steel dildo with your newly acquired welder and welding skills.

>do whatever you want
so what other businesses do you think could be opened with a minimal investment with a bigger return in pay like welding?

>Tell me about yourself and what skills or talents you have

Yeah, I got nothing. I'm 18, work at Carl's jr. for last 2 years and I play video games (poorly) in my downtime. I'm not an idiot but I graduated with basically straight C's.

I've got $1200 in the bank, a crappy car and a desperate desire to get out of my parents house.

Currently an apprentice boilermaker. Long term plan is to start my own biz making various types of metal art.

Tell me OP, how do you work out pricing/bidding for your stuff? How long before you started turning a profit? Lastly, I could use some advice on how to find a workspace. Setting up a metal shop at home is not an option.

because i live in canada and trump isnt our president and people who try to start small buisnesses here just get fucking crushed by banks and shit

Ok just food for thought i was a welder for 15 years wore a respirator all day every day welding and grinding still have a mental illness nerve damage and organ damage. And remember heavy metals make their way into the body through the skin and into the blood stream

>'ve got $1200 in the bank
buy some welding equipment and go door to door with your services

>cuck wage
Try salary

Electrical Contractors, Sprinkler Fitting and Installing, mostly constructions crafts.
What part of the country are you from?
I hope you're very talented because any idiot can use a mig welder and produce 'art' by sticking a few welding rods and mats together.
I charge two different ways, some jobs we do hourly (mostly the unexpected rushed kind), if there is a contract on the table we price everything, all the materials plus equipment plus hourly pay for the welders and fitters and helpers as well as transportation and travel + misc expenses. I started turning a profit immediately because the first job I got was a coffee plant in need of repairs and I already owned all my tools. I just hired a helper and a fitter to help me and we took off. Like I told the user above, do some research about the income of the area you will be working in so you can price effectively unless you will be working out of town jobs. If its a walk in business make sure you are near busy intersections and try a place you can rent and not lease. leasing ties you down for at least one year and if your business goes south it will be hard to get away without breaking contract.l

That comment gave me autism. Sure you can do a certificate of organization but that doesnt fix the fact that you pay taxes. Wtf is that statement

Must suck sorry user. The only small businesses that get crushed are the ones who loan capital for starting up costs.
Thank you user I will hold a safety meeting tomorrow personally and remind them about respirators and keeping air vaccums over their welding work whenever they can.
having a boss

I don't do a lot of jobs anymore ever since I opened the welding school. It's better money and I'm way less stressed.

I know less than nothing about welding

I live in Chesapeake, Virginia

>you're having a coffee while reading newspaper
>guy knocks on door
>open door
>he has a fucking welder mask on
>dude what the fuck do you want
>i dont want to join your religion
lmao

made me chuckle.
Get out of that piss poor state. Come to Texas or join a Union in Oklahoma as an apprentice. Once you have some experience you can get out and try the whole business owner thing.

>Come to Texas or join a Union in Oklahoma

I do have family in Austin that I could stay with for a bit...

I get paid way more at a big company than I think I could ever make as a business owner. I do have a boss, but if I really don't like him I can move to another team.

>Brick and mortars are shit, particularly food.
It isn't fucking spam Sup Forums