How does Sup Forums feel about Hamilton?

How does Sup Forums feel about Hamilton?

virtue signalling garbage (c)rap passed as a historical lesson

why do you assume you're the smartest in the room?

I actually dug it when I was dating a girl who was super into it. Months later my sister gets into it and I hate it. It's really not that great upon repeat visits and not having pussy blur your vision.

it's great if you don't like hip hop and want to pretend you do

jefferson > hamilton

Daveed Diggs saved it from being complete mediocrity

All true.

Really corny in my opinion, every girl I've dated since it came out loves it and I can't figure out why. Are there actually any dudes who like it?

see my experience

Love it, I listened to the soundtrack to death last summer.

In the Heights is far better

Right, but why do women love it so much in the first place?

My real answer is they think Lynn is cute or they really are stupid.

My PC answer is it's poppy and easy to take in. Plus it's hip and fresh, and most of them probably never heard of anything not on the radio. The girl I was dating loved Swimming Pools but never heard of To Pimp a Butterfly. Plus I doubt they know anything hip hop beyond like 2010.

Side note, I do cringe at some of the lyrical gems such as

>If you don't know now you know Mr. President

haven't seen it but it has the guy from clipping. in it and they fucking suck

i'm a guy who unironically really likes this
i'm a big fan of both hip hop and musicals, i very much think of this as a musical with the ocassional hip hop reference rather than a hip hop musical, but i think some of the hip hop references in there are quite nicely slipped in without being in your face, although i'll admit that some of it, like this for example can be a bit corny
i just think it's a really well written musical, my favourite songs from it are often the ones with little to no hip hop influence but every song is woven together well and you get a great idea of what's going on without having to see it on stage (which can't be said for all musicals)

You're probably right in regards to both points. I think one of the things that struck me the wrong way at the time was the fact that my ex chalked up my dislike of Hamilton to me being contrarian, and wouldn't take any dissenting opinion on it. I disliked it upon it's release, but that definitely colored my lasting impression of it.

Wait, a musical thread on Sup Forums? I haven't seen this in a while.

Two answers:
>musically
It's okay. It's really nothing special, but it certainly isn't offensive. It's definitely more listenable than trap music or whatever normies are into now, but it isn't what I would call "good". It's meh. I can stand it when people listen to it.
>content-wise
Hamilton was not a hero. He is one of the worst figures in American history. The establishment of a national bank was a mistake that has caused runaway inflation. I have nothing but contempt for him. Andrew Jackson tried to fix what he did, but obviously big government couldn't have that and reversed all the work he did later.

It's a perfectly good Broadway musical, not really any more corny than anything else in the field.

I like how Hamilton taught me about clipping. I probably wouldn't of found them without researching the main singer on Hamilton.

>not titanium hwite

That's fair, I mean for two hours when I did hear it the first time I was surprised how I wasn't so drained from it.

Well that's women, you don't agree because you like being opposite. It's not because you have a brain.

They make him out to be a legend, even though they include him being a bad person. Plus didn't he ask for the electoral college. If that's true, think of the irony that Lynn's girl lost and why, numbers wise not her actions.

I tried to get into musicals after Book of Mormon, which I still love. But Hamilton and the other musicals I've seen just convince me the genre is the country of theatre art.

only the first third is good

>the genre is the country of theatre art.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but that's actually a pretty good description. I don't enjoy most musicals (with RHPS being a rare exception), so I'm okay with accepting that it's just something that isn't made for me. Hamilton's music didn't appeal to me for the same reason most showtunes haven't.

The fanbase is pretty annoying, though. I'm pretty tired of people acting like I'm a weirdo for having no interest in Hamilton. As far as I can tell, it's just an average musical that people like to talk about because they think being interested in a historical story makes them seem smart or deep.

personally I don't know much about us politics so I can't comment on Hamilton's historical accuracy or what he was like as a person
But I'm pretty sure lynn manuel miranda has said somewhere that he doesn't agree with Hamilton's politics, in the same way Andrew lloyd weber made evita even though he didn't agree with Eva peron's politics

musicals are written on the assumption you'll only see it once (unless it's with a different cast). So if the music doesn't hold up on repeated listens, it's not really supposed to anyways

maybe back in the day but surely nowadays musicals are written with the knowledge that people will buy the soundtracks and give them repeated listens

Andrew jackson just took the national bank's money and threw it into the state banks which had even shittier policies towards their debtors

>Hamilton was not a hero
>Andrew Jackson on the other hand...
This is Sup Forums-tier understanding of American history

This is the perfect description of how I feel about it. Goddamn.

I knew it was rap going in, but Christ. Absolutely butchered it.