Bros, why am I so bored of Metal? It's been my man genre forever. And now it just feels meh

Bros, why am I so bored of Metal? It's been my man genre forever. And now it just feels meh.

Other urls found in this thread:

pyrrhonband.bandcamp.com/album/what-passes-for-survival
youtu.be/5_09IAg12q8
youtu.be/utqWrkVEQvI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Try this my man.

Idk how people can just listen to one genre of music. Metal's probably my favorite genre of music if I really had to pick one, but I would be sick of it, too if it's all I listened to. If anything, for me personally, branching out to other genres of music, listening to what they have to offer that metal can't offer has made me also appreciate what metal can offer that they can't, further making me appreciate metal.

Check out AOTY 2017.

pyrrhonband.bandcamp.com/album/what-passes-for-survival

Try hardcore, or noise. Or industrial. Skinny Puppy's nice.

One day one realizes that metal is very limited harmonically and rhythmically.

Just listen to something else for once, man. I burned out too, but after checking out other music for some time I felt like I wanted riffs again. Try getting into prog or bleeps or whatever.

Listen to jazz. That's what I do and it works 95% of the time.

thanks for the wise words, reddit

Well what was its appeal?

expand your tastes a bit, go outside your comfort zone

>harmonically
The genre has successfully integrated everything from overly melodic consonant interval major scale common practice progressions to far more esoteric, atonal stuff with intervals landing in microtones. Sure a lot of it is power chords which causes parallel fifth movements, but power chords are used for their timbre qualities due to being one of the most punchy sounding percussive chords on a guitar (which again, you can also find stuff with almost none like Opeth or the above mentioned Pyrrhon)

>rhythmically
It has incorporated everything from hard rock basic drums to blast beats to actual jazz drumming (Cynic, Atheist) to hip hop style breakbeats (the slam genre) and a lot more. Like with the harmony, some of the simpler choices here are timbre based as well to bring out as much visceral intensity as possible, which again, thanks to its own creative approach towards the riff idea, it's going away from (also like the above mentioned Pyrrhon which incorporates a variety of very technical rhythms and changes time sigs a lot as well.)

fell for tha bait

try smking weed when u listen

Sure it incorporates all sorts of things but all the bands do it the same so it all sounds the same

>i was just pretending to be retarded
embarrassing damage control

what a coincidence that you share the same 14th birthday with Sup Forums

check out some alt country

the only way metal is limited rhythmically is that you can't dance to it

Not at all. Cynic or Atheist's approach to jazz in metal is actually incorporating some of the techniques/rhythms into a metal context meanwhile bands like Sigh or motW will have like actual horn arrangements. Even if we were to go deeper with our statement and look at each band here on an approach basis, lets do Atheist and Cynic; Cynic's sound is far more thin/full of reverb while their harmonic approach involves more 7th/9th/add chord types and they also have a dude on vocoder doing those vocals to juxtapose with the death growls. Atheist's sound has a thicker, murkier tone more common of death metal, moves between power chords and arpeggios of various other chord types, and has the bass take the lead. So the end result is very different despite a similar approach:

youtu.be/5_09IAg12q8
youtu.be/utqWrkVEQvI

Also talking about this jazz inspired approach, I guess you can also add Pyrrhon up there to these bands as well (they even have actual improvised sections though they sound unlike anything in jazz.)

There's a lot of generic shit in the genre, but that's also the case for all forms of music. Along with the shit there's good stuff as well; the stuff worth listening to.
Oh I know for sure that a lot of such posts on here are often bait. But even then, I do like to occasionally respond seriously. Not for the sake of the person I am responding to necessarily, but for the sake of the person that may be potentially reading/lurking a topic and for them to maybe get interested in checking out the music. It's how I got REALLY into the genre, too about a decade back.

Some of the more consistently upbeat Judas Priest tracks like Tyrant or Breaking The Law definitely are danceable in terms of being not too fast but just upbeat enough.

I love metal, but having a "main genre" is a mistake. You'll just get tired of it.

I've never met anyone who exclusively listens to metal, it's impossible. You can listen to other shit and remain trve, don't burn yourself out, we need you fresh for you know what

It's because rock/metal is in a rut. They're stuck in the past and not reinventing themselves. That's why it's so bland and kinda of dying off.

Sadly this